LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss

Offline  Re: Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss

Posted: October 02, 2020, 8:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
Storm said:
18 years ago I weighed over 500 pounds. I am down to 237. Hope to drop another 30 pounds. Lost all that by mostly not eating or drinking as much. I did cut out fast food entirely. Having both my hips replaced did allow for a better exercise routine.

Congrats! That's awesome.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2020, 3:49 PM Post
I started doing a daily 19-hour fast on Monday, up from every third day. I've definitely been able to stick to 1800 calories per day since it's such a short eating window. I don't know if 'stomach shrinking' is a thing, but I can't pack as much into a single meal as I once could. I still get hungry around 11-2, but I think most of that has to do with 40+ years of me training myself to eat lunch around that time. I'm conditioned to be hungry then, because after about 2:00 I'm fine again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 9:18 AM Post
Storm said:
18 years ago I weighed over 500 pounds. I am down to 237. Hope to drop another 30 pounds. Lost all that by mostly not eating or drinking as much. I did cut out fast food entirely. Having both my hips replaced did allow for a better exercise routine.

Dude... that is awesome!!!!! Congrats... and keep up the good work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 5:08 PM Post
Losses stalled this week and I fell off the wagon with a big t bone last night and half a pizza today. Going to make it two 24 hour fasts this week to try and make up for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 7:18 PM Post
Storm said:

CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!

Awesomeness!

[smile]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 7:57 PM Post
Losses stalled this week and I fell off the wagon with a big t bone last night and half a pizza today. Going to make it two 24 hour fasts this week to try and make up for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2020, 10:43 AM Post
I've moved up to a daily 19-hour fast. I think I've lost maybe 2-3 lbs but it's hard to tell. Day 7 I got tired of being hungry all the time and cheated badly. Back at it and this second week so far I haven't felt near as hungry around lunch. I'd read that after 2-3 weeks the hunger starts to go away and hopefully that's what's going on.

The biggest positive is that when I'm only eating in a five-hour window, it's not terribly hard to stick to around 1800 calories. I can still have that cocktail or a treat and I'm not way up in terms of calories per day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2020, 1:02 PM Post

BBQ Lefty
Global Moderator
I started doing this over the summer more out of curiosity than anything. A friend mentioned only eating from 12-6 and initially my reaction was "how could you ever do that?" but somehow I ended up trying it too. [smile]

I'll often eat a little something in the evening, but consistently not eating til 12 or 1 each day, and just drinking more water throughout the morning than I ever did before.

While the hunger doesn't necessarily go away, I was surprised how quickly it became a non-factor (especially in the morning; somehow it's easier to hang on til lunch than the evening), and I actually appreciate being able to just live with hunger rather than feeling like I need to eat the moment I feel it.

Down 18lb in 3+ months, probably haven't weighed this little since high school or early college.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2020, 6:24 PM Post
I did my weekly weigh in this morning, after 4 weeks of once a week 24 hour fasts (2 this week though) I'm down 5 lbs. I was hoping for more after the hot start after the first couple weeks, but I'll take what I can get. It's easy enough so I see no reason to quit now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:52 AM Post
A few weeks into 19:5 fasting. It's become much easier to make it to dinner and not have that gnawing hunger.

But as yet no real results to show for it, even though I've been fine in terms of eating at a calorie deficit. Not really sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I just need more time.

Also a little perplexed in terms of lifting weights while fasted, or more specifically lifting and not eating anything afterward. Seems to indicate that there's a lot of muscle breakdown and that they just won't recover waiting so long to eat any protein. So it's looking more like workouts will have to move to doing more cardio and the weightlifting will have to wait until I lose the weight I want and I can transition to bulking.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 5:09 PM Post
I have never tried the fasting. You may want to try doing more reps with less amount of weight. Good luck on your journey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 20, 2020, 10:12 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
My belief is intermittent fasting does not work. I mean, it does work, but it doesnt. Does that make sense? The idea of intermittent fasting is to restrict your calories. Calorie restriction works. If I am on a 18hr fast every day, but start my 6 hour eating window with a pile of pancakes and end it with a Papa Johns pizza, the reality is, I will not lose weight - and I might gain a little.

Intermittent fasting usually works because those who do it are taking necessary steps to reduce their calorie intake, if you just stuff yourself during your eating window, you will not get any results even if you adhere 100% to the fasting times.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2020, 10:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
JackNicholson1974 said:
My belief is intermittent fasting does not work. I mean, it does work, but it doesnt. Does that make sense? The idea of intermittent fasting is to restrict your calories. Calorie restriction works. If I am on a 18hr fast every day, but start my 6 hour eating window with a pile of pancakes and end it with a Papa Johns pizza, the reality is, I will not lose weight - and I might gain a little.

Intermittent fasting usually works because those who do it are taking necessary steps to reduce their calorie intake, if you just stuff yourself during your eating window, you will not get any results even if you adhere 100% to the fasting times.

Perhaps you should read a little on the subject. The articles generally cover the pile of pancakes theory. In reality, no diet works if you pig out.

Plus the second part is about switching what your body is burning;fat instead of sugar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2020, 12:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ok, I'm in. Just did my first fast last night/this morning. 17 hours without dying. [smile] Actually, it was pretty easy. I was hungry by lunch, but not horrible. Being able to drink black coffee helps too. [wink]

My goal is to drop 20 lbs while trimming the belly fat. We'll see how it goes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
I weighed in yesterday. So far, I have dropped 5 lbs with regular moderate exercise over 5 months, and another 8 lbs over the last 6 weeks doing a 24 hour or so fast once or twice per week.

Now I realize weight isn’t everything. Certainly over the first 5 months muscle had to be increased which would offset some changes on weight. But it’d really stalled for 2 months and I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t have lost much fat these past 6 weeks without the fasting. And it really isn’t even hard to do. Your mileage may vary.

My plan is to keep at it 2x per week until I’m down at least another 5 lbs and past the holidays and then probably go back to once per week simply because I love breakfast.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
First week of fasting went pretty well. I'm doing 16/8 fasting (so 6:30PM to 10:30AM) and using both the Fastic and Fasting Tracker apps - both have their positives and I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

I do get hungry in the morning as I love breakfast, but my coffee consoles me. [smile] It doesn't take long for it to go away; a couple times I've fasted straight to lunch. Only one time did I come short of 16 hours (15.5 hours) and that was because I was out for brunch on Saturday with friends. I'm down 4 pounds, but my weight goes up and down a couple pounds each week normally and I seemed to start on a high point.

I've not changed my diet greatly - I had a nice ribeye Saturday night and pizza on Wednesday night. But generally we do eat pretty healthy (very little eating out, mostly homecooked meals). Eating more carrot and celery sticks at lunch as my side is probably the main change I've made to my diet.

As someone mentioned above, I've noticed that I do tend to fill-up faster during supper. So I'm not sure if that is stomach shrink or just that meals tend to be more compressed and you don't fully empty before eating again. Either way, I've noticed a few times where I eat less at supper too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2021, 12:59 PM Post
I made it through the holidays without fattening up too bad despite a couple weeks of only 1x/week fasting and minimal exercise due to a couple injuries. Have been back to 2x/week 24 hour fasts and regular moderate exercise. Weight loss seems to have stalled for the past month, although I cannot rule out that some fat is being replaced with muscle, as I have gradually been ramping up strength training.
One little victory came yesterday. My girlfriend got me a new belt for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago but she got the wrong size, I couldn't put it on. Yesterday I wore it for the first time, and used the 3rd hole on it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply