LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021
Posted: April 06, 2021, 6:24 PM Post
I can't believe I have been into serious boardgaming for almost a decade now. Like not Monopoly, Life or Catan.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021
Posted: April 06, 2021, 9:15 PM Post
logan82 said:
I can't believe I have been into serious boardgaming for almost a decade now. Like not Monopoly, Life or Catan.

I used to play Warhammer 40k and a WWII miniature game. Some of those games would take a few days to complete sometimes multiple weekends.

One time the group I played with we played one scenario for WWII for a whole month took pictures of the battlefield after each day. Fun times.

Some of the models that people build for that can get a bit crazy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 9:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
I learned today that nachos are named after a guy whose nickname was Nacho.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 5:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:

Isn’t that kind of the dream? Get some amazing food or menu item named after you?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 6:04 AM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
homer said:

Isn’t that kind of the dream? Get some amazing food or menu item named after you?

It is like getting something on the periodic table named after you, you are a legend forever.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:46 AM Post
nate82 said:
logan82 said:

I used to play Warhammer 40k and a WWII miniature game. Some of those games would take a few days to complete sometimes multiple weekends.

One time the group I played with we played one scenario for WWII for a whole month took pictures of the battlefield after each day. Fun times.

Some of the models that people build for that can get a bit crazy.

My old man and his buddies used to have this massive Risk board that one of the old dudes made. I am talking like...15 feet by 10 feet.* That board was sweet. Anyway, they used to get together once a week, slug beers and play Risk in that dudes basement.

*I was like 8 when I saw the board, so I don't actually know the size, but it was massive and I loved it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 3:46 PM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
homer said:

I made the Lou Williams lemon pepper wet wings for Opening Day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 10:29 AM Post
This is the stormiest, snowiest winter I've ever experienced. Since mid January we've gotten 1-2 blizzards per week. It's not bugging me so I didn't put this in the bugging thread, but holy smokes. We had another blizzard last night and wind chills in the -30s this morning. We've just about run out of places to put snow. When it all finally melts it's going to be an unbelievable mess around here. It will be a miracle if some area communities don't get flooded during break up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 11:44 AM Post
By me it's been the opposite. We got maybe an hour of some ice and that's been it for the winter. The ticks have been out since late February.

But permethrin is cheap enough to buy. I mix the appropriate amount of water and spray down my clothes every couple of months.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 1:55 PM Post
Tyler Summit (son of legendary coach Pat Summit) apparently earns $173K per year from his deceased mother’s pension.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 2:37 PM Post
Wow, I've never heard of a pension being able to go to a kid and not just the spouse only.

A friend's kid works for a county in TN and he has a 100% matching 401k. So maybe Tennessee just has crazy-good retirement benefits.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 2:48 PM Post
I just read a bit about him. Wow. So he cheated on his wife with a player he coached, then resigned after the scandal broke. Then got divorced, married the player. Then Brooke (the player he left his wife for) got a head coaching gig and hired Tyler to be her assistant.

I wonder how long he gets to milk his mommy's pension.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 2:56 PM Post
I think I read a similar article.

He apparently gets $173K per year for life.

Ever since that scandal broke, I wondered how a 20-something man could ever make a decent living after such a high profile dismissal. Finally got an answer today.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 11:53 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
GAME05 said:
Wow, I've never heard of a pension being able to go to a kid and not just the spouse only.

I'd guess that you can draw up your estate however you want. Wikipedia indicates that Pat and Tyler's dad were divorced in 2007.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 3:42 PM Post
Whenever I see the "Garrett Mitchell's Swing" thread in the minor league forum, it reminds me of the bus scene in the movie Smoke Signals where they make up the song about John Wayne's teeth.

Garrett Mitchell's swing, hey ya, hey ya, hey ya heyyy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 4:07 PM Post
hawing said:
GAME05 said:

I'd guess that you can draw up your estate however you want. Wikipedia indicates that Pat and Tyler's dad were divorced in 2007.

You can draw up your estate however you want but still surprised the plan itself would allow it. The cost to run the plan are a lot higher if it can be passed on to kids.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 4:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
Seems almost like a life insurance policy included in the pension.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 4:39 PM Post
Outlander said:
hawing said:
GAME05 said:

You can draw up your estate however you want but still surprised the plan itself would allow it. The cost to run the plan are a lot higher if it can be passed on to kids.

I suspect when a non-spouse beneficiary inherits the pension, the lifetime income option is based on their age. Hypothetically, had Pat Summit lived into retirement, her lifetime income option may have been ~$300K per year because actuarial tables would indicate she likely has fewer years remaining than her son. The actual present value of future cash payments for 23 year-old Tyler and 59 year-old Pat is probably the same.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 11:03 PM Post
I wonder how successful a knuckleballer would be in MLB nowadays. How would prime Niekro do against these guys? It seems like a knuckleball pitcher would be such a contrast to the all the hard throwers, especially if he could change speeds and had some wrinkles in his delivery/timing. The ability to eat lots of innings would further add to the value. I wish the Brewers had a guy like that in their system to follow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2021, 1:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
Wakefield was the last successful knuckballer in the MLB that I can think of... Third most victories in Red Sox history. And I think the key to his success was having the Niekro brothers coach him. I wonder how many coaches can teach the knucker anymore?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply