Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? 2021

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? 2021

Posted: January 07, 2021, 9:12 PM Post
Libraries have movies for free.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 11:43 AM Post
not being political, but mentioning something I said to my class today.

Pop Quiz...if President Trump re-signs today, Mike Pence becomes president for 2 weeks. If ever elected president, how many more terms can he serve as president?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? 2021

Posted: January 08, 2021, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Two. You can technically be president for 9 years, 364 days at most, but you can finish the second half of a President's term and then serve for two of your own.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 11:47 AM Post
DHonks said:
not being political, but mentioning something I said to my class today.

Pop Quiz...if President Trump re-signs today, Mike Pence becomes president for 2 weeks. If ever elected president, how many more terms can he serve as president?

Still two terms. The VP can serve up to two years of the outgoing president's term, and still qualify for two four-year terms ... so in essence, in a perfect-storm scenario, someone could serve nearly 10 years as U.S. President.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 12:04 PM Post
good job. 2 full terms or 10 years! I'd say most Americans don't know that. Most students want to dispute it when I normally bring it up as a random factoid.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? 2021

Posted: January 08, 2021, 2:16 PM Post
DHonks said:
good job. 2 full terms or 10 years! I'd say most Americans don't know that. Most students want to dispute it when I normally bring it up as a random factoid.

Interesting fact! Thank you.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 8:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would've said two more terms, but I didn't know about the two year limit of a VP taking over for the President. I thought the VP could take over a day after the election, then still serve two more of his/her own.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 6:33 AM Post
An article in my local news reported a citizen was arrested for his 18th OWI offense. I’m all for second (and even third) chances when it comes to OWI, but this guy is clearly a danger to society.

https://www.wbay.com/2021/01/08/crash-k ... green-bay/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 2:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
An article in my local news reported a citizen was arrested for his 18th OWI offense. I’m all for second (and even third) chances when it comes to OWI, but this guy is clearly a danger to society.

https://www.wbay.com/2021/01/08/crash-k ... green-bay/

Wisconsin's tolerance for binge alcohol consumption is one of the worst things about living here. There are lots more Wallaces out there. They are a terrible burden to all of us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 4:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yes, I cringe every time I see the top-10 city alcohol consumption stats...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 5:28 PM Post
The fact that Wisconsin treats first and second OWI offenses lighter than most states doesn’t bother me much. The penalties are still pretty stiff. However, I’m shocked that someone can hit double digits and not be in prison for life. 18?!?!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 7:35 PM Post
My most memorable memory (and not a good one) from college parties is how no one even bats an eye when someone is about to leave ridiculously drunk and drive home. More often than not it was, “Okay man, drive safe!”. I don’t think that was really possible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2021, 8:11 PM Post
I don't think I ever really recognized the issue until I was in grad school rooming with undergrads.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 5:28 PM Post
My local cable company is in a urinating competition regarding the new contract with the company that sells them fox and abc, so those channels have been blacked out since 1/1. Streaming it off Hulu or whatever people use is not really an option for me as it would blast through the little monthly bandwidth I have. If they don't settle the dispute by the time the Packers play I am going to be very disappointed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 10:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
I realize you are in AK, so the answer could be very far...but how far are you from a transmitting fox tower?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 11:34 AM Post
Anchorage would be the closest transmitting towers and that's nearly 400 miles to the east with mountains in between.

Up until 1/1 we had a broadcast channel ARCS (Alaska Rural Communication Service) that would come in bad to good depending on the day. It basically aggregates from NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS and shows whatever programming they feel is most popular/wanted. The game would likely have a good chance of being on there typically, but starting this year they are handled by a different carrier so there is no schedule available. I've hooked the antenna up to the tv because if my cable doesn't settle their dispute it's probably my only hope.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 1:51 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
Up until 1/1 we had a broadcast channel ARCS (Alaska Rural Communication Service) that would come in bad to good depending on the day. It basically aggregates from NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS and shows whatever programming they feel is most popular/wanted.

How does that work? Would ARCS show an entire season of a TV series they deem popular or do they jump around from week to week?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 2:20 PM Post
Before I had cable and was watching regularly, they had a pretty regular weekly schedule and a website to see the upcoming schedule. Things that would change it would be things like NFL games, specials, awards shows and that sort of thing. Pretty weird channel to be sure and here it is my apparent last bastion of hope for watching the Packers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 6:50 PM Post
I found a contact for programming for ARCS and reached out to them, got a response within a half an hour. They get FOX from the same company I do, so they are equally out of luck, although they alluded to trying one last source they could not guarantee. One wouldn't think it would be difficult to view ABC and FOX if one has cable, yet here we are. This is madness.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 7:25 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
The fact that Wisconsin treats first and second OWI offenses lighter than most states doesn’t bother me much. The penalties are still pretty stiff. However, I’m shocked that someone can hit double digits and not be in prison for life. 18?!?!

Why is someone with more than 3 offenses allowed to buy a car or even drive? License should be permanently revoked.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply