LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 272 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? 2021

Online  Re: What's bugging you? 2021
Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
Aren't contractors in high demand these days which is driving up prices? I thought I read that somewhere.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? 2021
Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
Aren't contractors in high demand these days which is driving up prices? I thought I read that somewhere.

Yes. Since most people couldn't travel last year and people got extra funds via stimulus, etc., the assumption is that they chose to put those funds towards home projects and such.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:42 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I was hoping to keep my window project under $10k (not a huge house and just a one story), but am guessing that will not be the reality. The windows would probably be fine if the previous owner had cared for them, but thus the wood crank out windows are completely garbage at this point...and I hate crank out windows.

I really didn't want to take on the window project, but thus I didn't have much leverage in the 2020 real estate market. I suppose I should be happy I was able to sucker a little money after the inspection to put towards windows when in some areas of the county $20k+ over asking was happening.

We are in the same boat - moved into our house in 2016 that was built in 2001, and it was obvious the previous owners didn't know how to run an air exchanger in the winter or do preventative maintenance on the wood-frame windows. We did the best we could over the past 5 years sanding down and sealing over what was left, but the damage was done. While we havent necessarily agreed with the blanket approach of printing money and throwing stimulus dollars at everyone within certain income thresholds regardless of whether COVID has significantly limited earnings, we've banked most of the stimulus for a window and 2 patio door replacement project....1st quote we got was insanely expensive, next two were pricey but more in line with what we were expecting. Not getting top of the line but having to do full replacements (not inserts). Increased costs for these type of projects are a combo of higher material costs due to demand/lack of supply and demand on licensed/bonded contractors. The surge in new construction homes/development is driving window prices steadily up due to that pent up demand - at least temporarily.

All in we are looking at $25K for the project, but we have quite a few windows and the pair of patio doors is a big chunk, too.

Last edited by Fear The Chorizo on April 07, 2021, 8:44 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:43 AM Post
Materials shortages are also having an impact both due to shipping and factory disruptions as well as rapid changes in demand. I'm racing to get a window estimate because they are adding a surcharge Friday to their prices and they already are saying the windows wouldn't be available until July.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
Fear The Chorizo said:
All in we are looking at $25K for the project, but we have quite a few windows and the pair of patio doors is a big chunk, too.

Out of curiosity and if you're willing to share, what did the patio doors run you?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:11 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
MrTPlush said:
I was hoping to keep my window project under $10k (not a huge house and just a one story), but am guessing that will not be the reality. The windows would probably be fine if the previous owner had cared for them, but thus the wood crank out windows are completely garbage at this point...and I hate crank out windows.

I really didn't want to take on the window project, but thus I didn't have much leverage in the 2020 real estate market. I suppose I should be happy I was able to sucker a little money after the inspection to put towards windows when in some areas of the county $20k+ over asking was happening.

We are in the same boat - moved into our house in 2016 that was built in 2001, and it was obvious the previous owners didn't know how to run an air exchanger in the winter or do preventative maintenance on the wood-frame windows. We did the best we could over the past 5 years sanding down and sealing over what was left, but the damage was done. While we havent necessarily agreed with the blanket approach of printing money and throwing stimulus dollars at everyone within certain income thresholds regardless of whether COVID has significantly limited earnings, we've banked most of the stimulus for a window and 2 patio door replacement project....1st quote we got was insanely expensive, next two were pricey but more in line with what we were expecting. Not getting top of the line but having to do full replacements (not inserts). Increased costs for these type of projects are a combo of higher material costs due to demand/lack of supply and demand on licensed/bonded contractors. The surge in new construction homes/development is driving window prices steadily up due to that pent up demand - at least temporarily.

Thanks for the insight.

When I looked at the house we bought the inside of the windows were insanely wet and had mold on them...it looked like a tropical rainstorm had happened inside the house. I would guess 24/7 365 days a year water was sitting at the bottom of the window soaking the wood. The first thing I did was plug in the air exchanger and changed the filter that hadn't been replaced since 2006. Good thing the other filter in the 2-pack bought in 2006 was sitting right there. Now it is nice and dry.

I don't understand how the previous owner lived like that and all they had to do was plug a cord in to let the automated system do it's thing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Windows must be a theme. I bought my house knowing that the 20-year-old wood frame windows needed to be replaced. Finally got around to getting them done. 14 windows in 7 casements (currently crank - going to slide/double hung) came in at $25k. I kept telling the guy "no" until he came down to $16k. They weren't Pella or Anderson, but had pretty high rankings. Should be installed sometime in May.

Still have two big ones to replace (4' pane glass with a semi-circle top), but he quoted a price for them and will honor the price for 2 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:47 AM Post
wallus said:
stoutdude04 said:
Fridge broke down...3 years old. No one will work on it cuz it's a kenmore. Lesson learned. Do your research.

Appliance Doctor won't?

Nope. He said, 'Good Luck'

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:48 AM Post
Why won't anyone work on Kenmore?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:50 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
I’m terrified to get a quote on any home improvements these days. When I bought my home 6 years ago, I figured it would cost $10K to add a bathroom in the basement. Now I’m sure it’s $20K. Heck, my Zillow value went up 6% just in the last week. It’s crazy out there.

This is accurate. We were fortunate to have done a basement remodel and kitchen remodel right before everything hit last year. We added a half bath in the basement where they had to dig up the 'crete and it ran about 6k. However, we had my wife's dad's company do it and he doesn't charge labor for us.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:54 AM Post
Hopper said:
Why won't anyone work on Kenmore?

From what I have read online, the parts are hard to come by and it's just a nightmare to work with...or something. But hey, Sears said they could get a guy here on April 27th. Cuz...you know, I can go 3 weeks without a fridge with two kids under 2.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 6:33 PM Post
igor67 said:
Materials shortages are also having an impact both due to shipping and factory disruptions as well as rapid changes in demand. I'm racing to get a window estimate because they are adding a surcharge Friday to their prices and they already are saying the windows wouldn't be available until July.

Labor shortages too; even though lots of people were laid off, some people with serious medical risks didn't want to go to work because of COVID risks. Major materials shortages because of not only supply chain disruptions but because of so many natural and man-made (i.e. riots) disasters the last two years.

For windows and patio doors, check with Home Depot. They did a patio door for me a year ago, did a good job, and were at least 20% cheaper than any other quote I got. A windows/door company wanted $4500 but HD did it for $3300 (it was expensive because it's on the 4th floor and needed a special door because of jamb width and having a breakdown door so it could be brought up four flights of stairs).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 11:47 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
nodakfan17 said:
Heck, my Zillow value went up 6% just in the last week. It’s crazy out there.

Ahhh, you just reminded me that it's usually the first week of April when the city of Madison updates home assessment values. I just peeked and ours is still on 2020...for now.

I have a whole other thing bugging me, though. One of my library tasks is fielding questions that people ask via the Contact Us buttons on our agency website. Mostly I weed out spam mail, leave reference questions for my reference colleagues, and answer questions that are "my turf."

One this week was from a guy who wondered if we have old/discarded cards from our card catalog. He went to school here in the 90s and would like a few. That is actually a project I've been working on during the pandemic (weeding our remaining card catalog drawers), so I said sure I can send him a handful.

He gives me his address and asks for any handwritten cards. My library predates typewriters, and there's a slim chance we have some handwritten cards, but on our current skeleton-crew schedule I do not have time to hunt for something like that. So I mailed out a handful and sent him a heads-up that it was leaving today and was a random grab of cards because only a few people are working on-site lately and there is no time to hunt through our boxes of scrap cards looking for anything particular.

So he replies right away: Thanks! Were there any handwritten cards?

*facepalm* WHAT DID I JUST SAY?
Ultimately, I said it was unlikely. He seems to have accepted that but sweet jebus I wish people would read what I write to them more often than they do.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 12:02 PM Post
We just finished re-marking 25 miles of hiking trails, which means nailing in the new ones and pulling out the old. I just came back from being out six hours to do maybe 1.5 miles of trail because the last boss had a marker put up every 10 steps. I counted. I'm a big fan of signs and markers, but that's just overkill. On top of it, it's hot outside and the first post I see is Hawing's kool-aid pitcher.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 4:47 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Based on what we paid last year I think the going rate for a bathroom renovation is in the ~$50K range in my location. Labor adds up fast when minimum wage is $16/hr. Materials are absurd also -- lumber has doubled since the start of the pandemic.

My house was built in 1940 so there's bound to be work to do, but I can't stand how 90% of new construction is designed. Gigantic, unwelcoming boxes with almost no yard space, cheap materials, wasted square footage everywhere. Old houses lack closet space (fixed that with the reno) but I don't need 5 walk-in closets either...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 6:31 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’m terrified to get a quote on any home improvements these days. When I bought my home 6 years ago, I figured it would cost $10K to add a bathroom in the basement. Now I’m sure it’s $20K. Heck, my Zillow value went up 6% just in the last week. It’s crazy out there.

This is accurate. We were fortunate to have done a basement remodel and kitchen remodel right before everything hit last year. We added a half bath in the basement where they had to dig up the 'crete and it ran about 6k. However, we had my wife's dad's company do it and he doesn't charge labor for us.

Our furnace and AC unit are 19 years old and I’m considering replacing them preemptively before costs go up. It’d also be a good way to deploy the cash we’ve stashed this year. I’m concerned it’s going to get eaten up by inflation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 6:42 PM Post
owbc said:
My house was built in 1940 so there's bound to be work to do, but I can't stand how 90% of new construction is designed. Gigantic, unwelcoming boxes with almost no yard space, cheap materials, wasted square footage everywhere. Old houses lack closet space (fixed that with the reno) but I don't need 5 walk-in closets either...

I hear ya. My house is ~1700 sq ft (plenty of room for 3 of us), but I wish I could wave a magic wand and re-allocate the space. I’d downsize our master suite and living room in favor of adding another small bedroom / office and a dedicated laundry space.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 6:59 PM Post
I looked at a few new construction houses before I bought mine last year. The waste of space in a few of them was somewhat funny. Two instances stood out:

1) In one house the basement had a room you could finish off, but the access point was through the furnace/water heater area. Seemed really dumb.

2) Around me the builder puts these big ole electric fireplaces in the living room. Except these new builds aren’t that huge and it takes up most of the main blank wall (no windows) in the living room. So to put in your 55”+ TV in the living room required blocking the fireplace or the beautiful window in the living room.

Also seems there is a massive draw these days to have the house really far off the road for curb appeal. That is great and all until your backyard sucks and all your yard space is wasted/unused.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 8:19 PM Post
My girlfriend's dad builds houses. She overheard him getting a price on 1/2 inch OSB sheets and they were $50.

I know for our business we cancelled one building project because of the insane prices.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2021, 3:55 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Also seems there is a massive draw these days to have the house really far off the road for curb appeal. That is great and all until your backyard sucks and all your yard space is wasted/unused.

This is me. I don’t know why the previous owners set the house so far back. Our backyard is tiny. The extra privacy is nice (it’s hard for pedestrians to peak into our living room), but I’d prefer the home be centered on the lot. Oh well, the House was a friggin’ steal compared to today’s market. It may not be perfect, but we still like it and it wound up being a great value.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 272 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply