LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? 2021

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? 2021

Posted: January 12, 2021, 7:49 PM Post
DHonks said:
nodakfan17 said:
The fact that Wisconsin treats first and second OWI offenses lighter than most states doesn’t bother me much. The penalties are still pretty stiff. However, I’m shocked that someone can hit double digits and not be in prison for life. 18?!?!

Why is someone with more than 3 offenses allowed to buy a car or even drive? License should be permanently revoked.

Agreed, but revoking someone's license for life wouldn't stop them from driving. Someone who gets multiple DUIs doesn't care much for the law to begin with...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2021, 7:49 AM Post
DHonks said:
nodakfan17 said:
The fact that Wisconsin treats first and second OWI offenses lighter than most states doesn’t bother me much. The penalties are still pretty stiff. However, I’m shocked that someone can hit double digits and not be in prison for life. 18?!?!

Why is someone with more than 3 offenses allowed to buy a car or even drive? License should be permanently revoked.

I generally agree, but it doesn’t actually require a license to get behind the wheel (people shouldn’t drive without insurance either, but it happens every day). My guess is his license was permanently revoked about 10 offenses ago and the guy still insists on turning a friend’s car into a torpedo every now and then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2021, 8:30 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
DHonks said:
nodakfan17 said:

I generally agree, but it doesn’t actually require a license to get behind the wheel (people shouldn’t drive without insurance either, but it happens every day). My guess is his license was permanently revoked about 10 offenses ago and the guy still insists on turning a friend’s car into a torpedo every now and then.

My guess is, if he has 18, it is not every now and then. It is everyday. I mean, that is ridiculous.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2021, 6:23 PM Post
I have to have a commissary (commercial kitchen) associated with my hot dog cart in order to operate. My ideal one is full, which also means my #1 vending location is out. Next-nearest commissary is two hours away one-way. They'll take me, but the health inspector doesn't like that I live far away. Not sure why that would matter since I can't store food at home or anything. Must now submit my minute-by-minute plans for their "probably not" approval. Likely will have to fight since her hesitations didn't have anything to do with actual ordinances. After that it looks like I'll be knocking on restaurant doors to see if they'll sell me time in their kitchen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2021, 4:48 PM Post
Channel 4 in Milwaukee ALWAYS has prerecorded sports stories at 10:00. Nothing about the night's activities like the Bucks, etc. Perhaps that is only when Lance Allen is on there. Let's go!!!! Perhaps a switch to another station is in order.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2021, 8:00 PM Post
GAME05 said:
I have to have a commissary (commercial kitchen) associated with my hot dog cart in order to operate. My ideal one is full, which also means my #1 vending location is out. Next-nearest commissary is two hours away one-way. They'll take me, but the health inspector doesn't like that I live far away. Not sure why that would matter since I can't store food at home or anything. Must now submit my minute-by-minute plans for their "probably not" approval. Likely will have to fight since her hesitations didn't have anything to do with actual ordinances. After that it looks like I'll be knocking on restaurant doors to see if they'll sell me time in their kitchen.

You live an interesting life man...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2021, 8:48 PM Post
turborickey said:
GAME05 said:

You live an interesting life man...

He sure does but thinking back over the years not very stable. Jumping from job to job working at US Parks. Kind of wish I had done something similar when I was younger. Not great for a family though.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2021, 10:39 PM Post
Good memory. I love this place. I'm still a full-time Park Ranger, though. I started this job late enough that I need an extra bump in retirement. The pay:stress ratio of getting a promotion wasn't worth it, so thinking of an alternative second income led me to the idea of becoming a hot dog vendor in my spare time.

>Not great for a family though.

You mean my two cats? But you're right, though. I'm often envious of you guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 1:48 PM Post
It's really bugging me that I have to let someone go at work. I have never done anything like this before...nor is it a skill I want to improve. I've done a lot of difficult things in my life, but this is probably one of the most difficult. Managing people is something I thought I would never do and it isn't something I really enjoy. When the owners of the company ask you be in manager/leader/mentor role, you don't really have much of a choice, so I did it.

What makes it so tough is I have worked with them for roughly 5 years and I would consider them a friend. However, when it comes to the work, they just aren't a very good fit with our group and we figured it was just time to rip the band-aid off. I have done everything in my power to help them improve and it just isn't working out. My guess is this must be what it feels like to break-up with someone (I've only ever dated/married one person, so I wouldn't know). I know they aren't a Brewers fan, so I should be pretty safe writing this on this forum.

Any advice/insight into this situation is greatly appreciated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 2:02 PM Post
zurch1818 said:
It's really bugging me that I have to let someone go at work. I have never done anything like this before...nor is it a skill I want to improve. I've done a lot of difficult things in my life, but this is probably one of the most difficult. Managing people is something I thought I would never do and it isn't something I really enjoy. When the owners of the company ask you be in manager/leader/mentor role, you don't really have much of a choice, so I did it.

What makes it so tough is I have worked with them for roughly 5 years and I would consider them a friend. However, when it comes to the work, they just aren't a very good fit with our group and we figured it was just time to rip the band-aid off. I have done everything in my power to help them improve and it just isn't working out. My guess is this must be what it feels like to break-up with someone (I've only ever dated/married one person, so I wouldn't know). I know they aren't a Brewers fan, so I should be pretty safe writing this on this forum.

As someone who has been on both sides of this situation my advice would be this: keep it simple, straightforward, and short. Odds are this probably isn't going to be a surprise to them. When I've done it HR was usually involved and let them handle the details.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 2:12 PM Post
I have not had to go through this on either side, but if I was to get fired I would want them to just tell me. I wouldn't want to get called into the office and have some small talk about the family or whatever. I'd want them to call me in and tell me why I was being let go and that be the end of it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 3:18 PM Post
Brewers Numbers said:
zurch1818 said:

As someone who has been on both sides of this situation my advice would be this: keep it simple, straightforward, and short. Odds are this probably isn't going to be a surprise to them. When I've done it HR was usually involved and let them handle the details.

Agreed. Nothing you say will make them feel better, so don't make it worse for both of you searching for the right thing to say. It sucks but it's part of life. And it sounds like it's the right decision, so remind yourself of that important fact. Firing people was never fun for me either, but I rarely lost sleep over it because it was necessary- and yea, they usually knew it was coming. Sometimes even a relief.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 5:42 PM Post
Totally agree; keep it simple. They don't want to hear some long explanation from you about being their friend or anything like that because there's nothing you could say which would make them feel better. It's more rare, but don't let them ramble on and bargain, either.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? 2021

Posted: January 15, 2021, 5:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you enjoyed letting someone go you'd be a sociopath. It's normal to feel bad.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 10:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yes, as others said, keep it short and to the point. Don't let them argue or bargain; be firm about the outcome. If you have HR, it is good to have them there to explain the benefits. If the person needs to clean out a desk or something, it is nice to have someone else go with them. That person can console a bit and diffuse any anger.

I've not fired anyone, but I've done layoffs and been in both the bearer of bad news guy and the friend helping them clean out the desk guy. The process sucks all around.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2021, 5:29 AM Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's going to be tough...but it's the right thing to do for our team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2021, 9:22 AM Post
I've managed friends before - people who I became friends with prior to my promotion/realignments that caused me to become their manager, and people I became friends with after managing them. I always told them that we have two separate and distinct relationships - one personal, one professional - and whatever happens in one relationship shouldn't affect the other relationship.

Reinforce with this person that this is strictly professional, not personal, and has no bearing on your personal relationship. Reinforce their skills and what they are good at, and offer to help them find something that is a better fit for their skills and what they do well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2021, 11:11 AM Post
GAME05 said:
Good memory. I love this place. I'm still a full-time Park Ranger, though. I started this job late enough that I need an extra bump in retirement. The pay:stress ratio of getting a promotion wasn't worth it, so thinking of an alternative second income led me to the idea of becoming a hot dog vendor in my spare time.

I thought you were a police officer.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2021, 11:49 AM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
GAME05 said:

I thought you were a police officer.

I'm a commissioned Park Ranger, so both. All the usual duties/powers of a regular officer but my jurisdiction is in the Park. National Parks will separate duties for their Rangers where you'll have some who do nothing but LE and others who do nothing but education. But I'm with the State, who has us doing a little of everything. Cut a tree in the morning, teach kids about turtles in the afternoon, domestic violence arrest in the evening.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply