SNL
Lost
Family Guy
The Office
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
Burn Notice
Mythbusters

I don't really see that many new shows announced that have caught my attention. I'll probably at least watch the first episodes of "Chuck" and the Kelsey Grammar / newscaster show ("Back to You," IIRC). I might watch "Cavemen" just to confirm it's every bit as bad as I'm expecting.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  The new television season

Posted: September 01, 2007, 2:34 PM Post

I don't get into many tv shows but I'm very excited for Friday Night Lights to return. I'm also a big fan o Mythbusters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 9:08 AM Post
Global Moderator

I'm actually hoping that this is the year I put my "watch less television, read more" semi-resolution to work.

I'm looking forward to the return of Curb Your Enthusiasm and, eventually, The Wire (the best show on tv). I'm also going to give Tell Me You Love Me a chance based on reviews, although it certainly doesn't sound like light entertainment at all.

The last few episodes got me excited about Lost again. 24 is on probation though. I might just skip it altogether if it's going to be the same old, same old.

Robert

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 11:26 AM Post
Robert, and others, is The Wire better than it was its first season? I watched some episodes then, and it was so dark (both in storyline and shot at night) I thought it was horrible. I dropped HBO after I watched it only a couple times in the months after 6FU went off the air, and I'm surprised to hear people say The Wire is good. Entourage was pretty mediocre too, and i hear that's gone way up and now back down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 11:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
well, I suppose I had better chime in on my wife's thread (good topic, by the way, dear!). Plus, I can get a free post.

Here's what I would like to check out this year for new and returning shows:

Back to You (FOX)-- it looks like it could be funny, plus I've always like Kelsey Grammar and Fred Willard
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)-- Since I didn't watch one sitcom last year (seriously) I should probably try for some laughs this year. I'm not one for CBS comedies (never watched How I Met Your Mother or Two and a Half Men).
Cavemen (ABC)-- I think I'll have to watch just to see how bad it really is. Like a car accident. Maybe it'll be some cult hit.
Chuck (NBC)-- okay, spy stuff and comedy? Sign me up! Hope they don't cancel it too quickly like CBS did to "Smith" and ABC to "Daylight" last year. (man, those were good shows that I didn't get to see how they played out)
Bionic Woman (NBC)-- just to see how it compares to the original. Who knows? maybe it'll be good.
Viva Laughlin (CBS)-- Crime show that sounds good (maybe not the singing part, though). Mostly, I'll have to watch because I live 30 miles from Laughlin and I'll have to see how many things they get right/wrong.
Criminal Minds (CBS)-- another show I have never watched but I'm sure I'll like. Besides, I got my wife hooked on Jericho over the summer (I re-watched them while she watched for the first time) so I should probably take a chance and watch something she likes. I owe her that.
CSI (CBS)-- been watching this for many years now, although I missed most of seasons 1 & 2
CSI: Miami (CBS)-- been watching from the beginning so why stop now
CSI: NY (CBS)-- ditto. (I'm not sure which CSI I like the best, although mocking David Caruso is fun. I need to go as Horacio Cane for Halloween one of these years.
ER (NBC)-- Kind of embarrassed about this one, as it's not as good as the old days. But I've been watching for so long, it's hard to step away.
Friday Night Lights (NBC)-- man, I'm so glad they brought this one back. If you haven't seen this show, you need to. It's excellent. Don't let Nielson numbers scare you.
Heroes (NBC)-- I have many of you on this board to thank for trying this show out last fall. I wasn't going to at first. Now, I can barely contain my excitement for the new season. By the way, this is the next show I'll hook my wife on--book it, baby! If I don't, I'm moving to Antarctica.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS)-- I don't know if I will watch it or not, because I'd need to catch up, I'd think. Or do I? Could I just pick it up and be fine? Anyone care to advise?
Las Vegas (NBC)-- Another one I'd like to watch. But I've missed most of the series thus far. Any advice on this one, short of buying the past seasons?
The Office (NBC)-- Chew me out now, because I'm lame and have never watched. Maybe because I don't work in an office it didn't appeal before? But I like Steve Carell so is this one I could pick up?
Prison Break (FOX)-- I still can't believe they made season 2 as interesting and entertaining as they did. Loved it from the start.
The Unit (CBS)-- This is another good show with lots of action. Although, I could really do without the stories about the soldiers' wives.
Without a Trace (CBS)-- watched from the beginning so why stop now, although this is the show that always gets put off when it comes to emptying the tivo, resulting in at least a half season of it to watch during the summer (two years running we've done that!)
24 (FOX)-- Ummmmm, duh!
Robot Chicken (whatever channel it is)-- I've only recently been watching this but it's hilarious
Lost (ABC)-- Forgot this one. Been watching from the beginning (another one that I persuaded the wife to try and now we're hooked). Thank goodness it's got better towards the end of the past season.
Jericho (CBS)-- tried it on a lark last year and enjoyed the premise although some parts were a bit goofy. I'm very glad they brought it back from the dead.

Wow, I watch a lot of TV! And this doesn't even count Monday Night Football, Baseball Playoffs, and other special events.
Thank God for my tivo!

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 12:37 PM Post
Robert, and others, is The Wire better than it was its first season? I watched some episodes then, and it was so dark (both in storyline and shot at night) I thought it was horrible. I dropped HBO after I watched it only a couple times in the months after 6FU went off the air, and I'm surprised to hear people say The Wire is good. Entourage was pretty mediocre too, and i hear that's gone way up and now back down.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, the first season of The Wire might be the greatest acheivement in television history (ok, that may be hyperbole). My recommendation is to get it on DVD and set aside a weekend to watch it (for the most part this is the only way I watch TV shows). That way you can keep up with it better, because there is a lot of stuff going on and a lot of characters. Best Buy usually runs HBO series on sale every few months, for like half price.

The show is so gritty and full of realism (especially the blurring of the lines between good and evil), I think it's amazing. I loved The Sopranos, too. but I think The Wire blows it out of the water, there's really not anything like it.

Entourage is kind of meh for me, I like the first two seasons, but they lost me last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 1:08 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Bionic Woman (NBC)-- just to see how it compares to the original. Who knows? maybe it'll be good.

I thought The Onion was kidding when they included this in their fall preview recently. I guess not. I might have to give that a peek just for kicks. All the bionic shows were closely followed by my siblings and me back in the day.

Oh, and hey, pitch - I hope you can convert hammytime to Heroes, if for no other reason because Antarctica would be quite a climate change for you. Image

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2007, 4:46 PM Post
I am completely obsessed with LOST, so that's what I'll be watching. Give me Season 3 on DVD already damnit!

3TO Apostle

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2007, 12:29 AM Post
The Office (NBC)-- Chew me out now, because I'm lame and have never watched. Maybe because I don't work in an office it didn't appeal before? But I like Steve Carell so is this one I could pick up?

I don't work in an office, but I find this show to be one of my favorite shows ever. Coming into Season 4, there will be some stuff you will have missed, but nothing you won't be able to pick up on. If anything, just rent the DVD's of the first 3 seasons (Season 3 is out tomorrow), and you'll be caught up in no time...and you will enjoy yourself in the process.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 1:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
What I really like about The Wire is how it's expanded itself beyond a simple cop show to take a good hard look at the failings of public institutions. Government and schools have been just as big a focus the last few seasons as street level crime. In many ways, it's the show on television with the broadest scope, from homeless transients all the way up to high level politics. (Well other than satirical shows like The Simpsons and South Park.)

Robert

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 2:25 AM Post
Well at least there are 3 others besides me who are excited for the return of Friday Night Lights. Other than that it will be Simpsons and 24 in January.

Quote   Reply 
Online  The new television season

Posted: September 04, 2007, 3:41 AM Post
Heroes - I've been hooked since the beginning, though the finale was a bit disappointing
Lost - It really picked it up in the second half of last year. But it may be a bit tough to get back into it, having to wait until Jan.
Smallville - Has been going downhill for a few seasons now, but I'll still watch.

Of the new shows, Kid Nation looks mildly interesting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 3:56 AM Post
Don't forget about Curb coming back late Sept.

Someone just told me about this today (actually, the first episode is this Sunday night). It made my day. This is, by far, my favorite show on TV right now.

This is not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 8:37 AM Post
I'm really excited for Friday Night Lights.

I just need to make sure I get caught up before the new season starts. I just bought the first season on DVD and should be caught up shortly. what a great show!

Otherwise,

The Unit
The Shield
The Office
Family Guy
ER
and I'll have to check out Caveman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 12:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
While I remember, I'm also looking forward to the WWII documentary by Ken Burns. I'm not expecting anything as great as The Civil War, but it's such a rich subject that it seems like a can't miss.

Robert

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 12:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
I didn't hear about this WWII doc. I'm a big buff of WWII history. How'd I miss that? PBS again? If so, that's probably why since I don't get PBS at all.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2007, 3:18 PM Post
I saw a commercial tonight for 'The Office', airing on TBS beginning September 11. Thought I'd mention it, since it's been part of the discussion in this thread. (My husband has already programmed it on the Tivo in his computer room.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2007, 12:17 AM Post
Last year, my wife and I watched 24 for the first time. We watched it from the first episode to the last and came away (at least I did) a bit dissapointed...although I have had a few long term fans of the show tell me that it was not the best season. I sure hope not. I guess I'm just too cynicle to watch a show like that...to many eye rollers for me. It's supposed to be 6am and it's bright sunshine with short shadows people walking around everywhere. Also, I guess you are supposed to believe that you can get anywhere in LA in 10 minutes or less. I know that sounds a bit critical, but if the whole premise of the show is supposed to be based on real time, then try to live up to a realistic standard of that. A guy gets back from a Chinese prison, completly unshaven and in seemingly a state of shock....40 minutes later he's questioned, cleaned up, and is fighting the bad guys...sorry, that's a big eye roll for me.

Oh..and Chloe...when is she going to be killed? Talk about horrible acting. She reminds me of the woman (Molly Shannon?) on the Seinfeld episode that didn't swing her arms when she walked.

I know, a lot of people love this show, and I'm going to get blasted...but the show just doesn't do it for me.

This is not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2007, 3:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
pitchleague said:
I didn't hear about this WWII doc. I'm a big buff of WWII history. How'd I miss that? PBS again? If so, that's probably why since I don't get PBS at all.

Yeah, PBS again. See http://www.pbs.org/thewar/ for details.

Robert

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2007, 6:10 AM Post
I am looking forward to The Office and Survivor-China

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply