LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 13 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Deadline to Sign This Year's Draft Picks -- Friday 7/13 4:00 PM Central

Offline  Deadline to Sign This Year's Draft Picks -- Friday 7/13 4:00 PM Central

Posted: July 12, 2012, 4:54 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Below is the list of the 12 unsigned Brewers draft picks as of Thursday the 12th. Under the new CBA, the deadline to sign these players is Friday July 13th at 4:00 PM Central.

For several of these players (Adkins, McCoy, Duffie, Burns), we had previously linked on our forums to stories indicating that the players were unlikely, or even definitely, not signing with Milwaukee. It doesn't appear there is enough over-slot money left in the Brewers' pool to entice Buck Farmer away from another year with the Yellow Jackets, and a potentially much higher draft position in 2013.

One name to watch is 32nd round pick RHP Nick Anderson out of Mayville (North Dakota) State. In earlier linked stories (here and here), it seemed like Anderson's signing was a slam dunk, particularly because he's out of college eligibility (the only player on this list in that situation).

Anderson's college pitching coach indicated to me a couple of weeks back that Nick was in Milwaukee for his physical, and I'm not aware of any issues coming out of that. The coach indicated when I followed up that he was surprised about the attention I was giving a 32nd round pick, but hey, Mike Fiers was a 22nd round pick, right? Another Anderson, Drew, the former Brewer who scouted Nick Anderson, was very cordial in an email to me (which I appreciated), but indicated that he really couldn't add to the discussion but that negotiations were ongoing.

Since that would normally be an approximate $1,000-$5,000 "hey, where do I sign" bonus, not sure what the mystery is, but we'll respect all the parties involved and see what happens.

15. Buck Farmer, RHP, Georgia Tech
18. Hunter Adkins, RHP, Middle Tennessee State
19. Carlos Garmendia, 3B, Monsignor Edward Pace (FL) High School
26. Mark McCoy, LHP, Barnegat (NJ) High School
27. Tyler Duffie, RHP, TCU
29. Bryan Saucedo, 1B, Malvern Collegiate Institute (ON)
32. Nick Anderson, RHP, Mayville (N.D.) State University
34. Tommy Burns, RHP, Don Bosco Prep (NJ) High School
36. Alex Mangano, C, Southwest Miami (FL) High School
38. Chris Shaw, C, Holy Trinity Academy (AB)
39. Derek Jones, CF, St. Marguerite d'Youville (ON) Secondary School
40. Chucky Vazquez, C, American Senior (FL) High School

Offline  Re: Deadline to Sign This Year's Draft Picks -- Friday 7/13 4:00 PM Central

Posted: July 12, 2012, 5:04 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Anderson could just wait until after the deadline and sign with a team of his choice - maybe that's more valuable to him than a few grand?

Or maybe he saw the sun coming through the panels on the first base line and thought, "I could never play left field here."

Offline  Re: Deadline to Sign This Year's Draft Picks -- Friday 7/13 4:00 PM Central

Posted: July 13, 2012, 5:30 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Sooo... any word yet on who did & didn't get signed?

Posted: July 13, 2012, 9:49 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Mass Haas with an update from tonight's Link Report in the MiLB forum --

Mass Haas said:

The short version is that the Brewers weren't able to get anyone else signed today.

Offline  Re:

Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:54 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
And That said:
Anderson could just wait until after the deadline and sign with a team of his choice - maybe that's more valuable to him than a few grand?

I believe that as a college senior, the 7/13 deadline does not apply to Anderson; the Brewers would instead control his rights until next year's draft.

Offline  Re: Re:

Posted: July 14, 2012, 4:15 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Sessile Fielder said:
I believe that as a college senior, the 7/13 deadline does not apply to Anderson; the Brewers would instead control his rights until next year's draft.

I thought that only applied to seniors with college eligibility left? Maybe not.

Posted: July 16, 2012, 7:47 PM Post

Global Moderator
As I was told would happen two weeks ago (but didn't mention here, was waiting to see), Brewers 32nd round RHP Nick Anderson has signed with the independent Frontier League's Rockford (IL) Rivercats.

Kind of an odd situation, the Brewers can monitor Anderson's work, and always offer him an affiliated deal, although we don't believe they retain his exclusive MiLB rights.

Posted: July 16, 2012, 9:00 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
Jim Callis on Friday:

Preston Tucker (Astros, seventh round): Has not signed. But because he's a college senior with no eligibility, the deadline doesn't apply to him. Houston still expects to sign him later this month.
Seems to be the same situation Anderson is in, yes? Previously, I know the same applied to Josh Fields in 2008.

Posted: July 17, 2012, 2:57 PM Post

Global Moderator
Matt Eddy of Baseball America confirmed for me:

The Brewers hang on to Anderson's rights until one week prior to the 2013 draft. This is true for any unsigned college senior. The deadline does not apply to them.

Posted: July 17, 2012, 9:08 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
DFE is dead.

Long live DFE.

Posted: July 18, 2012, 12:38 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
DFA DFE?

Posted: July 18, 2012, 9:02 AM Post

Global Moderator
Nick Anderson made his professional debut last night in Rockford, and we'll blame it on the layoff, but he walked more batters consecutively in one inning (three) than the total number of walks he issued in 33 innings throughout his senior season.

The first link is video of his stint (includes bonus Denny McClain footage) and the second link is the local newspaper game story. Third link is 2012 college stats.

We won't be linking to each outing, but we'll peek in every few weeks and jump in with any notes of interest.

Posted: August 03, 2012, 4:57 PM Post

Global Moderator
After making three starts (stats), RHP Nick Anderson lands on the Rockford DL with a sore back.

[ 13 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test