Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2013 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Offline  Re: Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: June 15, 2013, 4:50 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Tyler Alexander opens up about MLB Draft
By Joel Delgado, FIU News

Tyler Alexander has a big decision to make.

It’s a decision that will alter the course of his life, and it’s one that he is not taking lightly.

The left-hander, who joined FIU after spending two years at a junior college in central Florida, was drafted in the 27th round of the 2013 MLB First-Year Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers on June 8, the final day of the three-day draft.

Now he has to choose: make the jump to the professional ranks or return to FIU for his senior season.

———————————–

FIU News: When and how did you find out that the Milwaukee Brewers had drafted you? What were you doing when it happened?

Tyler Alexander: Talking to the scouts I was expecting to go on Day 2 so I was at home waiting for the news, but the call never came. Then I was expecting to go early on the third day but then that didn’t happen either. I was pacing back and forth, waiting around and then I checked Twitter and saw that I was drafted by the Brewers.

FIU News: What was your reaction when you heard the news?

Alexander: I was disappointed as time went on and it was definitely stressful but once I saw that I was drafted, that all went away. I was just really excited.

FIU News: You’ve got a big decision to make as to whether to sign with the Brewers or return to FIU. What factors are in play for you as you make a decision as big as this?

Alexander: I’m still weighing my options. I’ve talked to my parents, coaches and those close to me. My dad’s been on me the last few days and I value his opinion a lot. In the end they’re all telling me the same thing: they want me to make the best decision for me and don’t want me to regret that decision.

There are pros and cons, good and bad things for both. Part of me wants to come back because I feel like I can do better but I don’t want to risk something happening that risks my chances of getting drafted next year.

FIU News: What are some of the biggest obstacles you feel you have had to overcome to get to this point and what obstacles are you going to have to face in order to make the jump to the big leagues?

Alexander: I’ve had to learn to overcome failure over my career. It’s been a bumpy road and you’ve got to fail before you can succeed. But I’ve stayed positive and believed in myself and it all worked out.

Looking forward, I’ve got to beat some guys out and work hard to earn a spot if I’m going to make it to Milwaukee.

FIU News: How has playing at FIU helped you grow?

Alexander: Division I baseball is a lot more organized and the quality of coaching is a lot better. It’s definitely helped me improve as a player and a person.

FIU News: If you do leave FIU, what will you miss most about the school and about Miami?

Alexander: Definitely my teammates and coaches. I’ve bonded with them a lot this past year and Miami has been awesome. If I go to Montana, which is where one of the Brewers’ minor league teams is, or Milwaukee, it’s going to be totally different for me.

FIU News: If you could sum up your FIU experience thus far in one word, what would it be?

Alexander: It’s been a grind. Waking up early every day, going from a Saturday night pitcher to a Friday night pitcher and taking on that responsibility, getting it done in study hall and in the classroom… It was a lot to take on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2013, 5:32 AM Post

Global Moderator
Here's the link in French

And your Google translation:

A young baseball player from Laval, Quebec, Charles Leblanc, realized a dream when the Milwaukee Brewers drafted him in the 33rd round of the Major League Baseball Auction, June 8

The native of Sainte-Dorothée, who celebrated his 17th birthday five days before the draft, proved the only Quebecers have attracted the attention of big league scouts. In addition, he is the youngest baseball player to be chosen.

The player infield 6 feet, 4 inches and 200 pounds would like to sign a first professional contract with the formation of Wisconsin.

"The whole family lived strong emotions. We're on a cloud. Charles was very happy, but he remains humble, both feet on the ground. He sees this as another step in his career, "said his mother Evelyn Boudreau. "He expects a contract offer by the Brewers on July 9. If not received, it will become a free agent, "she connects.

With the Ohio Warhawks

Immediately after the draft, Charles took the road to Ohio to evolve within the Warhawks, an American team comprising the best players under 18 years drafted by Major League Baseball.

Again, the product Delta Laval is the youngest player. That did not stop him from hitting the first hit of the Warhawks in the first part, on June 11.

Since the beginning of the season, Leblanc played as shortstop and third base for Associates of Laval, Midget AAA. In 2012, he played for the Wings of Quebec, the star formation less than 17 years.

Canada Games

Charles returns from the United States on July 30 to participate in the Canada Games to be held in Sherbrooke. "He will wear the colors of Quebec who covets the gold medal home," concluded the mother of the young prodigy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2013, 11:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
Congrats to the Brewers 32nd round pick, Ryan Deeter, on being awarded a prestigious academic award at the College World Series last night.

UCLA’s Deeter earns Elite 89 award for having highest GPA in CWS field

NCAA.com

OMAHA, Neb. — Ryan Deeter, a junior at UCLA, is the recipient of the Elite 89 award for the 2013 NCAA Division I Men’s Baseball Championship.

The Elite 89, an award founded by the NCAA, recognizes the true essence of the student-athlete by honoring the individual who has reached the pinnacle of competition at the national championship level in his or her sport, while also achieving the highest academic standard among his or her peers. The Elite 89 is presented to the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade-point average participating at the finals site for each of the NCAA’s 89 championships.

Deeter, majoring in mathematics and economics, currently carries a 3.927 GPA. Deeter was presented with the award during the College World Series Opening Ceremonies on Friday evening in Omaha, Neb.

All GPAs are based on a straight grading scale to ensure consistency among institutions. All ties are broken by the number of credits completed.

Eligible student-athletes are sophomores or above who have participated in their sport for at least two years with their school. They must be an active member of the team, traveling and competing at the championship.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2013, 12:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
Tyler Alexander, Round 27, has signed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2013, 12:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
JaVon Shelby, Round 37, will not sign.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2013, 6:48 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
splitterpfj said:

Is this "T-Bone"/John's kid?

"The key is identifying the moment. The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't." -- Billy Beane

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2013, 7:54 AM Post

Global Moderator
Baseball America's Matt Eddy tells us that 23rd round Texas high school OF Eric Williams and 31st round RHP Tanner Poppe, out of the University of Kansas, have signed.

The master list shows us 24 out of 40 signees that we're aware of.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2013, 7:58 AM Post

Global Moderator
TooLiveBrew said:
splitterpfj said:

Is this "T-Bone"/John's kid?

Yes, earlier article via the Brewers site.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2013, 5:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't know if this means he ultimately will, or will not sign, but Round 22, Johnny Davis, just started playing for the Bluefield Jays, in West Virginia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2013, 5:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
Round 40, Kenny Meimerstorf, will play in Arizona...still undecided on whether it will be for the Brewers, or the U of A.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2013, 1:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Quote from Charles Leblanc's mother...

"The whole family lived strong emotions. We're on a cloud. Charles was very happy, but he remains humble, both feet on the ground. He sees this as another step in his career, "said his mother Evelyn Boudreau. "He expects a contract offer by the Brewers on July 9. If not received, he will become a free agent, "

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2013, 9:24 AM Post

Global Moderator
26th round:

Ky Parrott - CF, Herndon HS (Herndon, VA)

His tweet indicating he'll be signing on at James Madison. Good luck, young man. Maybe see you again in three years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2013, 6:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
Kenny Meimerstorf, Round 40, will not sign.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2013, 3:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ryan Deeter, Round 32, has signed.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test