LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 488 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2014 Brewers' 1st-Rd. Pick Speculation & Overall 2014 Prospects Discussion Thread

Offline  Re: 2014 Brewers' 1st-Rd. Pick Speculation & Overall 2014 Prospects Discussion Thread
Posted: June 04, 2014, 10:24 AM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
princeofpop, I like the idea of signing a player to a friendly deal at No. 12 and going after a couple of arms that may have fallen further than expected as you proposed. However, the Brewers usually pretty much stick to the assigned slots.

I'll be on the Big Show with Sparky this afternoon at 3:48 pm central time on 1250 WSSP to talk Brewers and the draft if you'd like to tune in. Live stream available here:

http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/WSSPAM

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2014 Brewers' 1st-Rd. Pick Speculation & Overall 2014 Prospects Discussion Thread
Posted: June 04, 2014, 10:52 AM Post
Thanks Patrick. I'll try to tune in to check it out.

It looks like you and your draft knowledge are a hot commodity!

As you rise up the ladder to stardom, don't forget about the little guys.

Thanks for being a guest on the draft episode of our TV show a few times (2006 thru 2008).

I was the producer of The Brew Crew Review (2004-2012)

Former brewerfan.net username- Pudster13

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 12:30 PM Post
I am leaning towards a Chavis pick if we can't nab Toussaint or Holmes. (I know I've dogged them, but I don't want another College Pitcher at 12. There is more bust than boom potential in them) Maybe by selecting Chavis the team saves some money and gets another guy who falls with either of the next 2 picks, or both! What you start wondering is does a guy fall due to signability and then with money saved on Chavis the team can go get that guy. The Crew could easily take a guy who falls big and pick him at 41. And then take a College guy at 50 and sign him below slot as well.

There is a problem though trying this in this draft. Kansas City has 3 picks before the Brewers pick at 41 so they can easily do this plan and ruin it for Milwaukee. The Marlins have 4 selections, 3 before Milw picks and the 4th at 43 another blocking team. It really looks like Milw will have to draft the best player available on the draft board and on that draft board now, in the 10-18 range in rankings, I feel like 6 of them are going to be busts or just Replacement level players. Wow how sad is this. This really blows that we won 1 more game to go from 8th to 12 in the draft order because you look at the draft order and with Toronto having 2 picks right ahead of Milw and then KC having the 17th,28th,40th and Miami having 2,36,39 It just really squeezes Milw's potential to try anything creative. It's probably a 100% lock their picks will wind up as: Beede,Hoffman, and/or Finnegan. 3 College Pitchers. Or Turner, Conforto, Schwarber,Pentecost 3 College Hitters. All of them have warts one way or another and when you add the warts with their age, I just see bust or age 25/26 of reaching the Brewers.

We just wind up picking where the draft board is nothing but College guys. The HS guys Foley,Hill,Chavis,Gatewood,Harrison,Ortiz(sigh my favorite) run in the 17-25 range. and the kicker why I mention KC/Mia squeeze Milw Picks the other HS guys Griffin,Medeiros,Wilson,Davidson,Gettys,Sheffield,Kopech,Wall, and Gatto fall in the 30-40 range which is where KC/Mia will squeeze us with their creativity. We'll probably end up with Luke Weaver at 41 and finally get our HS guy at 50....
This whole draft we wind up so unlucky because the Hoffman/Feede injuries drop them from being picked ahead and Ortiz's injury concern drops him to in between our picks.

My thinking is Chavis paired with Lara means for a 2b/3b of the future tandem. Since we won't pick down to a HS pitcher like Ortiz or Foley.
Man I really don't know who I want based on projections I just like guys in the 20ish range more than the 8-17range.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 1:43 PM Post
It sounds like Schwarber is moving up and will probably be gone before #12 comes. If that is the case I absolutely want them to go the pitching route. I don't know if there is bat I would rather have than the 3-4 good arms that should be there at 12. I am read a lot of reviews raving about the great stuff of Toussaint so he is by man crush for now. Of course we will draft him and he will end up like Hellweg; great stuff but can't control it at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 2:07 PM Post
I don't think Schwarber will be off the board when the Brewer pick comes along. I think Toussaint is more than likely gone by then, however. I don't think he will make it past the Blue Jays two picks.

If the Brewers are gonna go with an arm, what do you guys think about the Brewers selecting RHP Jeff Hoffman at 12? He was a top 3 draft talent before his TJ surgery. It's a risk I'd like to see the Brewers take at that point. To me it is no more risky than picking a high school pitcher in that range. (like Holmes, Reid-Foley, Adams, Medieros, etc)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 2:12 PM Post
I'm on board with Hoffman. With the injury maybe he signs for less? I'd love to get a legit top of the rotation pitcher at 12. If Hoffman isn't the pick then I'd be happy with Holmes or Schwarber.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 2:14 PM Post
I'd take Hoffman at 12 for sure, I don't like him as much I like Aiken but he's right there Freeland and Newcomb for me.

edit. I should maybe elaborate some in that in Hoffman scares me a bit because of his control but he was definitely great when he was on prior to TJ. Hard to argue with the arm and 2 secondary pitches which flash plus and 3rd averagish one though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 2:31 PM Post
fondybrewfan said:
I don't know if there is bat I would rather have l.

If Schwarber is rising, maybe Conforto is falling or will fall right into the Brewers hands. I would take Conforto before any of the bats mentioned on this thread. I think he is sort of a sure thing, as opposed to Toussaint or one of the HS arms. And has more long term value than Beede might have.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 2:33 PM Post
Heyman tweeted that Schwarber could go as high as 4 to the Cubs; hence my thought that he could easily be gone before 12.

I would really be fine with Hoffman, Holmes, Schwarber, or Toussaint and I am sure I could feel OK if it is someone else that is generally regarded highly. I just don't want them to reach for monetary purposes in the hopes of going above slot later on. BPA available please.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 3:02 PM Post

Global Moderator
I definitely remember the times on Brew Crew Review, glad you're still around. I know the draft always perks a few people up around these parts. You know full well just how good my track record is trying to prognosticate the Brewers pick.

I heard yesterday the Cubs are in on Nick Gordon at No. 4. And the Blue Jays reportedly are all over Hoffman at No. 11. If they're not, I would fully support them taking him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 3:34 PM Post
You're not alone Patrick.

Since I correctly (and joyfully) picked them taking Prince Fielder in 2002, I am hitting a bit of a dry spell on my Brewer 1st round draft predictions/wishes.

2003 OF Delmon Young (Weeks)
2004 RHP Homer Bailey (Rogers)
2005 OF Cameron Maybin (Braun)
2006 OF Travis Snider (Jeffress)
2007 OF Jason Heyward (LaPorta)
2008 LHP Christian Freidrich (Lawrie)
2009 3B Matt Davidson (Arnett)
2010 OF Josh Sale (Covey)
2011 RHP Sonny Gray (Jungmann, Bradley)
2012 3B Joey Gallo (Coulter, Roache)
2013 Anyone but Kyle Lohse (Lohse)
2014 3B Jacob Gatewood (??????)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 4:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
"A Short Rant"...by Todd

I do not want Finnegan.
I don't have anything against Conforto or Zimmer, but neither has won me over, so I'll pass.
I like Trea Turner, but I think he'll picked ahead of Milwaukee.
Toussaint is a project, and I think the team will play this pick a little safer than that, so I'll bet against it.
Hoffman would be a fun pick, but he may not reach the Brewers.
I can't stand brussels sprouts, no matter how healthy they are.
The Brewers won't do what I'm about to say.
The Brewers should be focused on Holmes, Pentecost, and Schwarber, and taking whoever they think the best of the three is.
Mark DiFelice's middle name is Andrew.
I still think it's Pentecost.
If the Brewers take a guy I really didn't expect them to take...it'll be Gillaspie.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 7:07 PM Post
I'm really hoping for Holmes but I feel like it's going to be Schwarber or Pentecost.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2014, 7:32 PM Post
According to Kiley McDaniel, there's some buzz that Kolek is sliding. According to him, a crosschecker provided him with a mock draft and Kolek wasn't in the top 11.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 2:02 AM Post
Now there's some buzz that Schwarber might go as high as #4 to the Cubs.

No idea what's going to happen tomorrow, but it's going to be fun to watch!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 7:17 AM Post
At this point I still really want Schwarber; he seems to be a difference making bat that we desperately need. Coulter, Schwarber, and Taylor could be a really fund group to come together in MLB; and that isn't including guys like Haniger, Neuhaus, Reed and Denson among others who could have pretty good MLB careers.

Coulter, Schwarber, and Taylor probably still wouldn't touch the Prince, Braun, and Weeks trifecta but it would be fun to follow nevertheless.

I am certainly not going to be disappointed if we get a different high upside guy at 12 though. Other guys no about the prospects better than me so if Brewerfan likes it then I will probably like it

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 7:22 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Article

Marc Flores, University of Hawaii first baseman (Baseball America has Flores ranked No. 88 among their Top 100 college seniors). The Cubs, Brewers, Twins and Giants have all shown interest in Flores.

Obviously a later round talking point, but if the Crew picks him up, we'll have some background.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 7:31 AM Post

Global Moderator
I ranked Flores as the 25th best prospect in the Northwoods League last summer. Here's my report on him:

25. MARC FLORES, 1b, Willmar Stingers (Hawaii, SR in 2014)
Strongest player in league, power stands out, impressive pure strength as LH hitter in 6-5/230 frame; pieces came together in NWL after .280-2-17 season at Hawaii; hit .352-13-64, set NWL record with 26 doubles, was named co-MVP; finished summer 2nd in RBI and H (95), tied for 3rd in HR and SLG (.593), 4th in BA and 5th in R (58); 3-sport star in high school, will look to carry success to his senior year, could be interesting senior sign in 2014 draft if he continues to make adjustments at plate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 9:46 AM Post
At this point I'm hoping for Schwarber or Pentecost at 12, although the huge ceiling of Gatewood is intriguing. Gatewood seems pretty risky though, a boom or bust type

I think the Brewers will take Beede if he's there at 12, I would prefer Schwarber or Pentecost

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2014, 10:25 AM Post
Re: Catchers
I hope we pass on Max Pentacost.
First round catchers have a pretty terrible track record of success.

Re: Pitchers
If Brewers nab a pitcher, I hope it is Hoffman, Nola or Beede. I don't think the high schoolers available at #12 will be that much better than the ones available with pick #41 or #50. It's a deep draft for high school pitching. Kodi Medieros or Foster Griffin could slide in a dream scenario, but if not there should be guys like Joe Gatto, Justus Sheffield, or Keaton McKiney available.

Re: Hitters
I'm hoping this is the route the Brewers go with #12. Lots of nice power bats to be had at #12. Gatewood, Schwarber, Gallespie, Davidson, Chavis, Reed, etc.

Re: Sliders
There are exciting rumors that with a few surprise picks ahead of us, guys like Tyler Kolek or Aaron Nola have an outside chance to slide to our pick.

I had read somewhere that our last game of the season win over the Mets in 2013 cost us to slide 4 draft spots. This makes me a little sick to my stomach, actually.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 488 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test