LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gilbert Lara discussion; Update: Brewers sign Lara for $3.2 million (post #77)

Offline  Gilbert Lara discussion; Update: Brewers sign Lara for $3.2 million (post #77)

Posted: February 08, 2014, 4:16 PM Post
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/q ... ewers.html
Supposedly brewers have agreed with a better third base prospect for 3.2 mil. I know nothing about the guy but have to imagine he's a decent prospect for that kinda money at a position of need in our system

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Lara

Posted: February 08, 2014, 4:51 PM Post
http://vimeo.com/83584044

6'3" 185

Looks like a pretty long swing, but definitely some power potential. I don't really know enough about Dominican prospects or what to look for in guys this young to have much of an opinion.

advocates for the devil

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2014, 6:30 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
That article from Kiley McDaniel also discusses the significance of the July 2nd deadline --

Gilbert Lara has the loose, handsy, fluid swing that scouts are looking for with the plus bat speed and raw power to project as a future All-Star. He hit a number of balls out to left field at the heavily scouted MLB showcase and hit a triple and homerun in the game portion of the event. The chatter among scouts is the Dominican third baseman has an agreement with the Milwaukee Brewers for a $3.2 million bonus.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2014, 7:21 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
That article from Kiley McDaniel also discusses the significance of the July 2nd deadline --

Gilbert Lara has the loose, handsy, fluid swing that scouts are looking for with the plus bat speed and raw power to project as a future All-Star. He hit a number of balls out to left field at the heavily scouted MLB showcase and hit a triple and homerun in the game portion of the event. The chatter among scouts is the Dominican third baseman has an agreement with the Milwaukee Brewers for a $3.2 million bonus.

*Drools*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2014, 9:46 PM Post
Oh My God. That would be Awesome!

Did you watch the scout video? the 3rd or 4th swing of his in it? The speed? And yeah, his swing upper body has zero hesitation in it. It just starts and swoosh there goes the swing. Literally, my first thought is Alex Rodriguez in that swing. Take that in for a moment, Alex Rodriguez. Please, stay true!

Adding that the Dominican League video posted his name as Yirver while the mlbtr has it as Gilbert. So I'll definitely be using both in google searches for more video down the road as July 2nd approaches.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2014, 10:42 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
This would be amazing if true, but a lot of things can happen between now and July.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2014, 6:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
I am really glad the Brewers are taking a shot at one of the top DR talents, it would be a very positive step toward infusing the organization with potentially elite young talent. I prefer they spend money going after a top prospect on July 2 every year to the alternative of giving a guy like K-Rod $3 million. From the little I have read so far it sounds like many of these verbal agreements are already in place with the top DR prospects, and apparently the Yankees have several of them in place. Here is a little more information I found on Lara from a Blue Jays blog posted at the end of January...

Yirver Gilbert Lara, SS/3B, 6’3″ 180 lbs, R/R, Bani, DR
Born: October 30, 1997
Trainer: Jaime Ramos

Likely the second best overall prospect available for the July 2 signing period, Lara is a big rangy shortstop with an exciting combination of tools. Scouts love his athleticism, projectable frame, and top level bat speed. At the plate Lara is an aggressive hitter. He has natural loft in his swing and the ball really carries, which should allow him to hit for double digit homeruns if he can refine his raw hitting approach. There are times when he’ll pull off the ball trying to drive it, or lunge out against off speed pitches as he did against Huascor Ynoa in their at bat. His pitch recognition isn’t the greatest right now, but will hopefully improve with time. Defensively Lara shows good range and fluidity and enough arm strength for the left side of the diamond. If I had to bet I would say he has a better chance of staying at short than his countryman Garcia, but he’s no certainty either. As athletic as he is, you probably wouldn’t immediately think infielder just by looking at him. I Can’t think of a natural comparison except maybe a right handed hitting Curtis Granderson. He has the same combination of power and speed, and similar hitting mechanics with the hands high and close to the body and the leg lift trigger. Reports connecting him to the Royals and Brewers for close to the 3 million Dermis is expected to get from the Yankees.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2014, 7:24 AM Post
I would be curious to see a historical work-up on DR prospects by ranking similar to what we have for draft prospects. I'm not completely sold that all of the eggs in one high end basket approach is better than grabbing 3 or 4 guys lower down the list. With the international signing restrictions this is likely the true trade-off not this guy versus a mid-roster filler FA. That said he certainly sounds exciting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2014, 6:42 PM Post
This is a good step at least in the right direction and especially in a position of need.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2014, 7:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm excited by this signing. . .it's still a longshot that he plays at a high level in the majors, but it's a sign that the Brewers are in the mix on highly regarded foreign talent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2014, 9:48 PM Post
JimH5 said:
I'm excited by this signing. . .it's still a longshot that he plays at a high level in the majors, but it's a sign that the Brewers are in the mix on highly regarded foreign talent.

You start hitting on a couple guys in the DR and the draft, while still the true blue building block of any small market, can become more of a gamble on the riskier, high upside talent. We need an infusion of guys with Gomez like upside given what we've spent on marginal draft talent. Personally, I'd much rather roll the dice on a guy like this than select a Jungman, Arnett or Bradley.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gilbert Lara discussion (rumored to have agreement in place w/Brewers, post #3)

Posted: February 10, 2014, 9:53 PM Post
I'd rather take a shot with a high upside youngster who might give 7-9 years of a productive MLB service time vs the same money spent on any FA reliever.

No single reliever is going to be the difference for the Brewers, but hitting on a high upside prospect every other year could be the difference.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gilbert Lara discussion (rumored to have agreement in place w/Brewers, post #3)

Posted: February 11, 2014, 2:36 PM Post

Global Moderator
Not so fast, Brewers fans...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2014, 4:00 PM Post

Global Moderator
Good reading from Adam and MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez here.

(Also posted to the DSL thread in the minor league forum for its mentions of current Brewer Latin farmhands...)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2014, 8:41 AM Post
If the Brewers have the money to sign relievers to help the big league club and sign long projects like this than that is the best of both worlds. Mark A has always wanted to field a good MLB team and hopefully this is a sign they will be involved in the high level international market now too.

But this kid is so far away from even Low A Wisconsin that I can't really get to excited about him. We know next to nothing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2014, 1:01 PM Post

Global Moderator
Latest video

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2014, 2:18 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
His build looks like A-Rod's at a similar age... except that Lara's thicker. Not comparing their baseball abilities, but A-Rod is just the physical comp that I thought of right away in that clip.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2014, 11:09 AM Post

Global Moderator
Still looks promising, flying to Arizona for his physical, so will just have to wait until July 2nd for formal announcement if healthy.

The tweet linked above was deleted for a slightly altered, but very similar one.

The original read:

"Gilbert Lara (SS), a July 2 Dominican Prospect has an agreement with the #Brewers for $3.2 million. He is flying to AZ for a physical."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2014, 1:53 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
If the dollar amount is right, the signing will* almost assuredly put the Brewers over the slot value of their international bonus pool, and they probably will sign a few other guys as well. The Mariners had a bonus pool of $2.58m last year in the same slot the Brewers have this year. It will be interesting to see if they try to trade for more room, or take the penalties.

*I will refuse to 100% believe this until the transaction is official in July.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2014, 2:13 PM Post
igor67 said:
I would be curious to see a historical work-up on DR prospects by ranking similar to what we have for draft prospects. I'm not completely sold that all of the eggs in one high end basket approach is better than grabbing 3 or 4 guys lower down the list. With the international signing restrictions this is likely the true trade-off not this guy versus a mid-roster filler FA. That said he certainly sounds exciting.

Well IIRC they signed two kids to $800K each last year (probably the money they saved on no 1st round pick). So they haven't necessarily put their eggs in one basket.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test