LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 679 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

We're Number Five! We're Number Five! - The 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Offline  Re: We're Number Five! We're Number Five! - The 2016 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: June 09, 2016, 1:54 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
John Manuel's T-4 Hour Mock

Has Corey Ray to the Brewers - also notes that it is Moniak's floor.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 1:56 PM Post
This is the time, right before the draft, just like in every sport...that we amplify all the warts in these guys. Puk will only be a closer. Ray won't have power. Groome is immature. I think half this stuff is leaked just to lower prices. Braun had a huge hole in his swing. Couldn't hit anything on the hands. It was going to be the plague of his career. The MLB draft, more than any other, is blackjack. Even if you know how to play, even if you make the right decision, the odds aren't with you. Puk is a non-blackjack 21. Even if the dealer draws out, the worst is a push (a closer). Ray is a 19 against a 5. More often than not it'll win. Pint/Groome in my Opinion are like doubling down on 10 against a face card. There are three pretty common outcomes. The dealer gives you an Ace (TOR fulfilled), a face (closer/back end starter)(most likely a push against the likely dealer 20, or you draw garbage and the dealer crushes you (minor league washout). The decision in this case, is the judgment of doubling a 10 into a 10. By blackjack theory, you are hoping for a push. There is risk/reward, it isn't a no-brainer. If the Brewers feel they can bust on this pick, then take one of the volatile arms. If they feel they have to give themselves the best chance at risk mitigation, then the young arms (this year at least) are a bad idea. If we're still multiple years away, and will have many more chances to take risks, then go for it. If DS think we're maybe 2 years away, probably better to take a higher floor. Not advocating a Jungmann, but at #5, there are high floor/high ceiling guys available.

Sorry, didn't have time to fully flush out this train of thought, and not sure it ever gets anywhere...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 1:57 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I dont like Ray simply because he reminds me a lot of former Brewers #1 draft pick, Chad Green. I don't know why but he just does, then I go look up Chad Green on wikipedia and holy smokes, he went to Louisville (although my memory was Kentucky). I think that's a sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:07 PM Post
LouisEly said:
If all goes well, here is what I would like to see:

1 (#5): any of Groome, Puk, Pint, or Lowe
2 (#46): Ben Rortvedt, John Duplantier, Lucas Erceg (can Joe Rizzo move to catcher?)
2b (#75): Hunter Bishop, Jameson Fisher, Ben Bowden
3 (#82): Zack Brown, Jesus Luzardo, Matt Krook
4 (#111): Logan Ice, Keegan Akin, Brigham Hill

Found a new 3rd/4th round guy - Will Smith, C, Louisville.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:08 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
And That said:

That's tough to read when the next 6 picks are pitchers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:08 PM Post
And That said:

Lux up to 13? I guess I can stop dreaming that he is on the board for round 2.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:09 PM Post
And That said:

If they pass up Puk and Groome to pick Ray....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:10 PM Post
Surhoff5 said:
I know I am in the minority on this board, but I would much prefer a hitter over a pitcher this year. I think it is more important that the Brewers don't miss than getting a potential front line pitcher. There is just too much volatility with all the choices this year. Based on their history, I also don't trust the Brewers minor league instructors to develop said pitcher correctly.

I do 100% agree with Plush though in that I don't want it to be an under slot signing. If they think Ray, Rutherford, or whomever is the best bat available, then that is who I want them to take.

I don't care much at all if a pitcher or position player is selected so long as that guy becomes a really good MLB player.

It's busts or guys who only become a mediocre MLB player who were picked top 5 that are killers for a franchise like the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:29 PM Post
Alright so we seem to be drafting an OFer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:32 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
And That said:

If they pass up Puk and Groome to pick Ray....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting read from Chris Mitchell at Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kyle-lew ... -prospect/

He was curious about a guy like Kyle Lewis coming from a small conference (think Rickie Weeks, who he talks about as a comparison).

He talks about how it is difficult to look at a guy like Lewis, but at the end, he says this:

Still, given the stakes associated with an early-round draft pick, teams should be thinking long and hard about Lewis’ strikeout woes, especially in light his competition level. Hitters who have trouble making contact against weak competition often don’t see their performances translate to the big leagues. The brief history of first-round college hitters from lower-tier conferences neatly highlights this phenomenon.

The competition level is college really can be quite diverse - and it's not something I really think about.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:43 PM Post
Still hoping for Pint. I apologize for nothing else to add to the thread, other than:

The Brewers have had a history in the last 10 years of developing hitters. They (generally) figure out ways to score enough runs. Looking at the current roster and Arcia/Phillips and others coming, that will likely continue.

The Brewers need pitching! They need a lot of pitching. Roll the dice on Pint or Groome please

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:47 PM Post
I'm curious what the difference is between Ray and say, Jungmann or Bradley? Is Ray a high-upside guy, or is he the position version of the high floor/moderate ceiling college pitcher that people say/said those two were/are?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 2:57 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Interesting read from Chris Mitchell at Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kyle-lew ... -prospect/

He was curious about a guy like Kyle Lewis coming from a small conference (think Rickie Weeks, who he talks about as a comparison).

He talks about how it is difficult to look at a guy like Lewis, but at the end, he says this:

Still, given the stakes associated with an early-round draft pick, teams should be thinking long and hard about Lewis’ strikeout woes, especially in light his competition level. Hitters who have trouble making contact against weak competition often don’t see their performances translate to the big leagues. The brief history of first-round college hitters from lower-tier conferences neatly highlights this phenomenon.

The competition level is college really can be quite diverse - and it's not something I really think about.

I'd be more worried if he struggled in the Cape Cod League but he didn't. In fact, he struck out less than Nick Senzel in the Cape last year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
I did not expect a Chad Green reference - I'm impressed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:10 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
splitterpfj said:
I did not expect a Chad Green reference - I'm impressed.

Agreed. JackNicholson1974 wins Brewerfan today.

Although the mention of Chad Green just gave me some wicked Antone Williamson flashbacks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:11 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/ ... 2461742080

Brewers expected to pick around about 6:27 CT.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:11 PM Post
Back to Rutherford rumor... https://twitter.com/FPiliereD1/status/7 ... 4421967872

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
I thought about calling Pilliere out on Twitter for that one - some, "new rumor" that is .... hey everybody, the Brewers are in on Blake Rutherford, who had a great workout for them!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2016, 3:30 PM Post
splitterpfj said:
I thought about calling Pilliere out on Twitter for that one - some, "new rumor" that is .... hey everybody, the Brewers are in on Blake Rutherford, who had a great workout for them!

And the guy thatcould fall all the way out of the first round if we don't take him might be willing to work out a deal to be taken at #5. I am shocked.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 679 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test