LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2015 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Offline  Re: 2015 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: June 15, 2015, 1:17 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
LINK: 22nd round RHP Willie Schwanke of Wichita State leaning toward going back to school, as of June 11th, anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2015, 9:59 AM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
So it now turns out (tweet) that two of the four catchers the Brewers drafted, both juniors out of Northeast colleges, 13th round Max McDowell of UConn (earlier update) and 40th round Charles Galiano of Fordham, will be playing for the same team (Bourne) in the Cape Cod League this summer.

We haven't seen confirmations about the other catchers drafted, Zach Taylor of Scottsdale CC (AZ), 15th round and Mitch Ghelfi of UW-Milwaukee, 28th round, other than Ghelfi was still considering what route he'll take.

Normally the Brewers sign at least one non-drafted catcher each year at this time, simply to help handle the large number of arms that will find themselves in Maryvale. No news on any undrafted signees yet.

One last thought: maybe McDowell changed his mind, thus freeing up a spot for Galiano on the Cape squad. We'll see...

FYI - Both McDowell and Galiano were activated on the Bourne Cape Cod League roster on Monday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2015, 10:18 AM Post

Global Moderator
Charlie Donovan: 'Cool feeling' being taken in MLB Draft
by Jason Rossi (Downers Grove, IL Newspaper)

WESTMONT – The professional baseball scouts came out in droves to watch Charlie Donovan in person this season, and he knew he had a great chance to be taken in the MLB Draft.

Yet the recent Westmont graduate found out second-hand when he was picked in the 30th round by the Milwaukee Brewers on June 10.

"I wasn't even following the draft," Donovan said. "One of my friends was the first one to notify me, and then a few minutes later the Milwaukee Brewers area scout called me.

"It's cool. Even though it wasn't a high round it's a good feeling and I'm thankful to the Brewers. It's definitely something to feel good about, and it kind of represents a lot of the hard work I've put in."

It's not hard to see what pro teams like about Donovan.

A shortstop on varsity all four years of high school, he put up eye-popping numbers offensively whether batting in the leadoff spot (as he did this year) or batting further down the order (as he did in the No. 3 spot last season).

He hit for both average (.483 this season) and power (seven home runs), and showed a discerning batting eye, drawing 32 walks and striking out just 16 times this season.

Donovan was also a terror on the base paths with 44 stolen bases. With his combination of speed, power at the plate and strong arm, he had the potential to go in the first few rounds of the draft, but after signing with the University of Michigan in November (that after committing to the school as a freshman) he was firm on his commitment to the Wolverines.

"It was realistic that I would have the opportunity to go in the first three rounds, from what teams were telling me, but ultimately I think I have more maturing and life experiences to go through, and college will help me do that," Donovan said.

Before heading to Michigan, Donovan will have one more summer just like the past few. He'll play for the Prairie Gravel travel team, play catch with younger brother Joe Donovan in the front yard, hit off a tee in his garage and perfect his batting eye in batting cages.

"I'll play with the Gravel until August and then go," he said. "I think I have about three months of summer until then."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2015, 9:48 AM Post

Global Moderator
Brewers Player Development Twitter account indicated 28th round C Mitch Ghelfi and 31st round RHP Colton Cross have signed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 18, 2015, 1:32 AM Post

Global Moderator
ARTICLE: Undrafted Pennsylvania high school RHP Brandon Donovan's decision to go to college (Radford) despite the Brewers showing interest throughout the spring

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 18, 2015, 1:24 PM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
LINK: 22nd round RHP Willie Schwanke of Wichita State leaning toward going back to school, as of June 11th, anyway.

Latest on Schwanke:

Against expectations, former Wakeland pitcher drafted by Brewers
Michael Ramirez, Frisco Enterprise (Plano, TX)

Photo Courtesy of Wichita State Athletics

With the 661st pick in the 2015 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers selected Frisco Wakeland alum Willie Schwanke, a redshirt junior from Wichita State University. After 22 rounds, the pitcher had his named called by the Brew Crew, who selected Schwanke against all odds.

“I had no idea it was going to happen,” Schwanke said, “I put my phone away, but then I kept getting congratulations from people and then the Brewers called.”

Going into the night, Schwanke did think he had a small chance of getting drafted because some clubs contacted him the night before.

“I honestly had no idea, but I knew that some teams were interested,” Schwanke said. “I was still recovering [from injury], so yeah it was a real possibility.”

In contrast to Schwanke’s opinions, his former high school coach Barry Rose thought it wouldn’t take too long for Schwanke’s name to be called.

“He was good,” Rose said. “He still had a couple of years left at Wichita, but I still knew he was going to get drafted.”

It’s a coach’s dream for one of his players to get drafted and reach the professional level. Ever since high school, Schwanke had shown promise, including a .424 batting average, 23 home runs, 152 RBIs and 27 stolen bases. As a pitcher, he went 28-2 with one save and a phenomenal 1.79 ERA. After playing his freshman season at Arkansas, Schwanke transferred to Grayson College in Texas, and struggled on the field as well as off the field with injuries.

“He had a few setbacks with his arm, but he came back strong.” Rose said.

Due to injuries, Schwanke hasn’t thrown going back to Wichita State to play one more year out of the door completely.

“I was still recovering so yeah it’s a real possibility,” he said. “It’s sort of a redo process because I want to play again at 100 percent with my teammates at Wichita and I feel we could have a pretty good season, but we’ll see what happens.”

Even though he is considering going back to Wichita, Kansas, that didn’t take away any of the excitement he and his family had when his name was taken off the draft board.

“My dad texted me quickly to congratulate me,” Schwanke said, “so then I called my mom who was at work and she was absolutely stunned.”

“It’s crazy,” Rose said. “My reaction was just really happy for Willie.”

The transition got a little easier for Schwanke when a catcher in the Brewers system contacted him to say congratulations.

“The catcher of their farm system gave me a call, so it’s pretty cool to get to know whom I might be throwing to in the future,” he said.

Expectations are high now for Schwanke whether he opts to sign with Milwaukee or not, but Rose is confident in his former player regardless of when he chooses to pursue the pros.

“[Schwanke] already knows how to play like a professional mentally,” he said. “I think when it’s his time to play [in the majors], he’ll be more than ready.”

Schwanke has not signed with the Brewers yet and his decision to go or stay in college has not yet been made. He still has plenty of time because the 2015 draft-signing deadline is July 17.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2015, 8:21 AM Post

Global Moderator
24 (721). Christian Trent, LHP, Ole Miss (MS)
33 (991). Connor Baits RHP, U. of California - Santa Barbara (CA)

Brewers confirm the previously known Trent signing, and announce that Baits has signed as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2015, 6:11 PM Post

Global Moderator
40th round catcher Charles Galiano of Fordham (NY) University tweeted that he has signed. Galiano, signed by former Brewer farmhand, now scout, Steffan Wilson (a Harvard guy himself), had been playing in the Cape Cod League. It's a rarity for the Brewers to snag someone who began their Cape League play after the draft. He'll almost assuredly head directly to Maryvale, not Helena.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2015, 10:25 AM Post

Global Moderator
Via MinorLeagueBall.com:

The week two Cape Cod League Player of the Week was Donnie Walton, the middle infielder for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox. The Oklahoma State Junior was just drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 23rd round. However, he is seen as a tough sign, given his father Rob is the pitching coach for Oklahoma State. He's hit a solid .306/.396/.407 over his three year college career, including a robust .326/.410/.481 line in 2015.

So far in the Cape, he's hitting .321/.352/.383 over 81 PA, good for a 118 OPS+ and 10.9 runs created. He's actually only the second-best hitter on the YD Red Sox, behind fellow middle infielder Tommy Edman, a Stanford SS who's hit .299/.373/.418 with a 127 OPS+ to date. Walton is a scrappy player who profiles best as an utility guy in pro ball, but sometimes those guys break out. Look at San Francisco Giants third baseman Matt Duffy, for example. He will likely go as a cheap senior sign in the top ten rounds next June, assuming he doesn't sign with the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2015, 6:29 PM Post

Global Moderator
Papillion-La Vista's Sean Chandler says no to pros, will play for Huskers
By Jon Nyatawa / Omaha World-Herald Bureau

Photo by MEGAN FARMER/THE WORLD-HERALD

LINCOLN — Papillion-La Vista pitcher Sean Chandler told The World-Herald on Tuesday morning that he plans to attend Nebraska, choosing to put a professional career on hold after he was drafted in the 32nd round last month.

Chandler, the 961st overall pick in the MLB draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, spent the past few weeks weighing his options.

“Just a lot of thinking, going over every scenario,” the 6-foot-5 right-hander said. “And I made the decision to go to Lincoln.”

Chandler was an All-Class A performer this season, throwing a no-hitter in May against eventual state champion Omaha Westside. He had originally pledged to Iowa Western, but the Husker staff reached out last summer. The NU coaches saw him pitch in a game this spring and offered right away, Chandler said.

Now he’s set to arrive on campus Sunday.

“It’s pretty exciting,” Chandler said.

Draft picks have until July 17 to sign a professional contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2015, 2:49 PM Post

Global Moderator
Kansas.com: Very interesting look at the implications of the Friday draft signing deadline as it impacts Wichita State and 22nd round RHP Willie Schwanke

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2015, 3:25 PM Post

Global Moderator
Looks like 36th round RHP Jordan Desguin is signing as per his Twitter timeline.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test