LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2016 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2016 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 17, 2016, 6:57 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:
I was thinking this:

Hopefully Ray has more than a Bit Part in the Brewers' future.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2016, 7:37 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
What's Ray's deal? How far could they be? Is he really pushing for overslot or what? All these savings need to go to our 11th pick & hopefully Ray goes for 4-4.1 million to give us a little more to get that signing done. In a slotted system, negotiations shouldn't really take too long.

Theyre apparently waiting until the team comes back home from the road.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2016, 10:11 PM Post
Cardinals signed Delvin Perez to slot value of their pick about 2.22mil. I hate the fact they got one of the guys with one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Especially with their draft history, he'll probably exceed expectations now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2016, 3:16 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Brewers working toward agreement with Ray

Two sources this week indicated momentum toward an agreement between the Brewers and first-round Draft pick Corey Ray, who could be signed as early as Friday when the team begins a homestand against the Nationals.

The Brewers used the fifth overall pick to select Ray, a left-handed-hitting outfielder from the University of Louisville. His signing bonus is expected to fall between $4 million and the $4,382,200 slot value assigned to the No. 5 pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2016, 9:01 PM Post
If the Brewers could sign Ray for slot or less, then do it. Otherwise I would take the draft pick next year at #5. It would allow for a huge bonus pool next year....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2016, 9:36 PM Post
I not sure that won't be a bad idea for the crew especially if he wants more than his slot

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2016, 9:41 PM Post
Corey Ray is going to sign. This is all about getting every penny they can to give to a guy they nabbed in a later round. $50k can be a big deal for convincing one of those later guys to sign. $200k vs. $250k or whatever may be the difference between signing or not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 6:36 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Corey Ray is going to sign. This is all about getting every penny they can to give to a guy they nabbed in a later round. $50k can be a big deal for convincing one of those later guys to sign. $200k vs. $250k or whatever may be the difference between signing or not.

Yup, and the Brewers have pretty good leverage in these negotiations. They can simply point out that Ray has a historically low OPS for a top 5 collegiate drafted hitter. The type that produces fringe MLB players, if they make it at all.

You'd think his signing would have been announced yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if there's a medical issue here?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 7:34 AM Post
Tom ‏@Haudricourt 9 minutes ago

#Brewers have signed first-round draft pick Corey Ray, an OF from University of Louisville, for $4.125 million.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 7:50 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Here's the McCalvy article:

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/1 ... -corey-ray

He's going to do a press conference and batting practice to coincide with today's game.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 8:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think this means the Brewers are roughly $1 million under? Can anyone confirm? Maybe they pony up some cash for that kid in Arizona now.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 9:19 AM Post
Agreed - let's get McClanahan. Mid round picks like Henry, Thomas and McClanahan. There's some good potential and upside there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 9:28 AM Post
homer said:
I think this means the Brewers are roughly $1 million under? Can anyone confirm? Maybe they pony up some cash for that kid in Arizona now.

They can afford him. He was rumored unlikely to sign after the third round which is approx. $600,000 at the lowest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 12:43 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
homer said:
I think this means the Brewers are roughly $1 million under? Can anyone confirm?

They have $1,208,915 to sign McClanahan only:

viewtopic.php?p=990351#p990351

That number goes up by $100k for each additional guy they sign because the first $100k doesn't count past round 10. So I'm optimistic they can get McClanahan, Clark and one of Crow or Lillis. They should be able to get two of those guys at least.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2016, 3:13 PM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Ray's going to be starting out at Brevard County.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2016, 8:58 AM Post
1992casey said:

makes sense, I was still hoping he would have gone to Wisconsin for a week or 2, i would have made the trip to see him live, i assume he will start in center, so putting him in BC doesn't take time away from clark

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2016, 10:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
1992casey said:

That's a bold move, its been a while since the Brewers took a college bat so highly in the draft, I'm not used to seeing a kid jump right to A+.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2016, 11:41 AM Post
splitterpfj said:
1992casey said:

That's a bold move, its been a while since the Brewers took a college bat so highly in the draft, I'm not used to seeing a kid jump right to A+.

Yah pretty surprised they decided to throw him into that hitters nightmare. Hopefully he can mentally handle it if he struggles a bit. Surprised they didn't send him to (hopefully) mash at Single-A for a few weeks.

Clearly they want him to get moving though the minors. This would put him on a path to debut in 2018 if he hits well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2016, 12:24 PM Post
splitterpfj said:
1992casey said:

Braun didn't go to A+ until his 2nd pro season, and that was after having an OPS 250 points higher in college.

This is as poor of placement as putting Medeiros at A+ this season. After Rays pedestrian collegiate production, it would be doubtful he'd hit well in A ball, much less A+.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2016, 9:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Never Outhustled said:
splitterpfj said:
1992casey said:

Braun didn't go to A+ until his 2nd pro season, and that was after having an OPS 250 points higher in college.

This is as poor of placement as putting Medeiros at A+ this season. After Rays pedestrian collegiate production, it would be doubtful he'd hit well in A ball, much less A+.

I wasn't a big proponent of the Corey Ray selection (although I think he's likely a future major leaguer), but you've made the point about college OPS several times throughout this thread. I would be interested to see how closely college OPS either does or doesn't align with professional success. I am not convinced it as closely associated as we may think, but I could certainly be wrong.

A recent example of a player with a low college OPS (much lower than Corey Ray) is 2015 first round draft pick Kevin Newman who had a .817 OPS in 3 years at Arizona and went on to hit for a .929 OPS in 41 Florida State League games this year before being called up to AA. Small sample size, but at least an interesting parallel. Similarly to Ray, Newman was a guy Keith Law had near the top of his draft board.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test