LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 37  Next  [ 730 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)

Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: May 17, 2017, 5:36 PM Post
Oxy said:
MrTPlush said:
Exactly something is hiding somewhere. Usually for us it is a hitter(Davis/Lucroy), but maybe one of our pitchers is a Quintana type pitcher.

"Usually?" I'm struggling to come up with ONE pitcher who came through the system in the last 30 years and exceeded his projected ceiling as a prospect. It's difficult to even find guys who've MATCHED expectations. Sheets and Gallardo hit their reasonable ceilings. Then...

Fiers?

Posted: May 17, 2017, 5:43 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
Everything I read about Adell has him compared to Melvin Upton and Byron Buxton. Why in the world would you ever want to draft a kid that compares to those two guys? Yes, I'm sure the tools may be off the charts, but what good is that if you can barely hit your weight? Personally, I want nothing to do with Adell or Kendall in this draft. I know you want to draft the BPA, but I just don't want another toolsy OF with our first pick.

I agree on this. If it comes down to gambling on a low-floor, high-ceiling bat then I would rather take a pitcher. I would have no problem taking a bat if the right player was there. If Royce Lewis somehow slips to #9 then he is very likely a no-brainer selection. If Wright/Bukauska/Faedo are all gone at #9 then Pavin Smith would likely be my favorite. Once you get past those players, then there is a big group that includes guys like Adell and Kendall and a whole bunch of pitchers and in that case everything is about equal and under that scenario I'd rather go pitching.

Posted: May 17, 2017, 6:22 PM Post
If you are going to use the past as a way to make conclusions about the future then we should just continue to ignore pitching. If it never works why even waste the pick? Hasn't worked the last 20 years

I'm not making conclusions about the future. I'm just saying we haven't been loaded with arms for as long as I've been following the minor league system. And a lot of the guys we've all thought would turn into decent starters have not. So to say we don't need to focus on pitching because we have guys that might turn into 2s or 3s is fine, but history suggests it's not likely to happen. So when we have the chance to acquire a guy who profiles as a top of rotation guy I don't think we should pass on the chance. We're not the Cubs. Those opportunities are few and far between. Unfortunately the economics of baseball are such that only a select few teams can sign established aces so short of giving up the farm the only other chance to acquire one is to draft him.

While I respect the BPA philosophy I think it would be foolish to draft yet another outfielder in the first round when the system is flush with outfielders. If the far and away BPA is an outfielder then fine. Take him. But I have a hard time believing Kendall or Adell or whoever else is going to be far and away better than the best non-outfielder.

To your point earlier it's true that just because we are deep at a certain position doesn't mean they'll all turn out. But with the depth we have in the outfield we have so many options to replace guys that we can afford to take a year off and look elsewhere. If Santana or Braun gets hurt we can call up Brinson. If Brinson sucks we can go to Cordell. If Cordell sucks we can go to Phillips. If Phillips sucks we still have our last two first rounders to fall back on. Meanwhile when we needed a starter earlier this season we went with.......Tommy Millone. It's a lack of depth that causes panic moves like signing Lohse, Suppan and Garza.

And finally let's say everything works out perfectly. Hader Woodruff Ortiz and Lopez all hit their ceilings and more lower level guys step up too. That's the best problem we can possibly have. We can use them as trade bait to get an established ace and we probably wouldn't have to give up as much as if we were trying to create a package consisting of outfielders. A top pitching prospect has more value then a top positional prospect precisely because it is so much more difficult to get the pitcher.

I get the argument then we shouldn't focus on pitching. I really do. But I just don't see how an organization like Milwaukee can afford to pass on pitching with two consecutive top nine picks. If it's close, go pitching.

Posted: May 17, 2017, 7:06 PM Post
Oxy said:
MrTPlush said:
Exactly something is hiding somewhere. Usually for us it is a hitter(Davis/Lucroy), but maybe one of our pitchers is a Quintana type pitcher.

"Usually?" I'm struggling to come up with ONE pitcher who came through the system in the last 30 years and exceeded his projected ceiling as a prospect. It's difficult to even find guys who've MATCHED expectations. Sheets and Gallardo hit their reasonable ceilings. Then...

I'd say that Been Sheets and Mike Fiers exceeded their ceilings.

Beyond that... yeah, pretty barren.

Posted: May 17, 2017, 9:16 PM Post
at this point I would say Jimmy Nelson has exceeded his ceiling when drafted. He wasn't good in the low minors, and didn't profile as a 2-3 pitcher, but he's really shown progress.

I still prefer taking hitters early then loading up with pitching, but then again I'd hate to miss on another Ben Sheets. God he was so fun to watch once he scrapped the 2-seamer

Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
John Sickels released his first Mock Draft at Minor League Ball.

Alex Faedo and Pavin Smith are still on the board when the Brewers pick in this mock which is nice to see, but I agree with those that have mentioned the tier drop off we are often seeing after the first 8 picks in these mocks.

If it plays out like some of these mocks are suggesting I've come around to the idea of selecting LHP David Peterson and hopefully saving a few dollars to allocate towards other selections.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
Oxy said:
MrTPlush said:

I'd say that Been Sheets and Mike Fiers exceeded their ceilings.

Beyond that... yeah, pretty barren.

Scott Karl had a few good years as well.

Online  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:41 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Baseball America's Mock Draft 3.0 is out.

I am a big fan of the pick at #9, and an interesting pick at #34. He's someone who was until not too long ago in the mix as a top 15 selection.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:03 AM Post
Corbin Martin at 34 would be great. Not sold on Beck (or Adell) at 9. Would love Pavin Smith but that looks unlikely. Count me in the Alex Faedo at 9 camp.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
Jose Cardenal1 said:
Corbin Martin at 34 would be great. Not sold on Beck (or Adell) at 9. Would love Pavin Smith but that looks unlikely. Count me in the Alex Faedo at 9 camp.

I don't know, Faedo throws at such a weird arm angle. It kind of makes me hesitant to draft a guy like that after Jungmann and Medieros.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers drafted pitchers for the sake of drafting pitchers a number of times. Pirates did the same thing. BPA.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:18 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
2080 Baseball has their first mock draft up.

Austin Beck is starting to become a theme.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:26 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
D1 Baseball has their first mock up as well, though it is behind a paywall.

Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:02 PM Post
homer said:
Brewers drafted pitchers for the sake of drafting pitchers a number of times. Pirates did the same thing. BPA.

Such as? What years?

Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:42 PM Post
If they go batter again have to thinkDS has a future plan to use them to get some arms down the road. But the brewers need to continue to add pitching

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:12 AM Post
Any chance RHP-Blayne Enlow makes it to #34? Listed as a top 30 player by both Baseball America and MLB.com, but most mocks don't have him as being a top 30 pick. Baseball America does at #27 to the Cubs. But he's not listed in the Jim Callis mock (only goes through 30 picks) or the John Sickels mock (goes through 36 picks). He is an LSU commitment so I don't know if signability would be an issue. But he looks like a big kid who has some room to fill out and already has one plus breaking ball. If he makes it to #34 I'd love to see the Brewers pick him.

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:16 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Enlow has been slipping down lists slowly but steadily this spring - Patrick could maybe speak more to the reason why, but he was initially in the teens overall, and now I have him at #37. I haven't heard about signability being an issue with him, but at #34 or #46, it could start to be.

Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:30 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Updated mock draft from MLB Pipeline.

Brewers pass on Beck, Haseley, Faedo, and Baz still on the board, amongst others I would take over the Brewers' pick.

Also noteworthy is Mayo has Nick Pratto going to the Braves at #5. He hasn't been mentioned much as a possible Brewers pick, but he'll probably be there at #9, and I'm sure the Brewers are looking at him. Taking a HS first baseman isn't that exciting of a pick there, but Pratto would also be a top prospect as a LHP, and is sort of a proto-McKay.

Posted: May 19, 2017, 10:05 AM Post
And That said:
Updated mock draft from MLB Pipeline.

Brewers pass on Beck, Haseley, Faedo, and Baz still on the board, amongst others I would take over the Brewers' pick.

Also noteworthy is Mayo has Nick Pratto going to the Braves at #5. He hasn't been mentioned much as a possible Brewers pick, but he'll probably be there at #9, and I'm sure the Brewers are looking at him. Taking a HS first baseman isn't that exciting of a pick there, but Pratto would also be a top prospect as a LHP, and is sort of a proto-McKay.

I'm certainly no scouting expert here, but I really don't like all of these Adell predictions. Really hope that he doesn't end up being our pick, as I just think there is too much risk with guys like that (in the Buxton mold).

I watched a bit of the UK/Fla game last night and UK really hit Faedo hard. I know it's just one start that I saw, but I certainly didn't come away real impressed with what I saw from him either.

At this stage, I guess I'm not sure who I'm hoping we take at #9? I wouldn't mind seeing Bukauskas or Pavin Smith fall to us there, but it seems that most are projecting that they go off the board just before #9.

Posted: May 19, 2017, 2:33 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
madtownhawk mentioned what I was about Faedo and some of these players in general, but there are a lot of opportunities right now to watch some of these players. I believe both Luke Heimlich of Oregon State and David Peterson of Oregon will both be throwing on stations, at least for me, and I have Spectrum outside of Milwaukee.

As for Faedo, since I know a lot of people have mentioned their interest in him, isn't for me at least not at #9. He's far too slider reliant, and several of my staff-mates think he's more of a short reliever long-term that could potentially dominant with that slider (to go along with a good fastball too, but he doesn't have the same confidence with the pitch).

Enlow from what I have heard has been what he has been in the past, but with so many players moving up (and down) boards sometimes staying put isn't necessarily a good thing. It also may not mean anything, as we've heard the 30-40 range is probably where he would end up going anyway. Very good, projectable frame, low-90s fastball with room for more and spins one of the better curveballs in draft.

Interesting that Austin Beck and Jordon Adell are finding their way onto more and more mock draft at #9. Some really interesting stuff floating around right now. I still think one of the bigger college bats, Pavin Smith and Keston Hiura, may be the way to go based on pure value.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 37  Next  [ 730 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test