LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  [ 730 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)

Author Message
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 12:17 PM Post
Posts: 3788
For me it really depends on what's available. The 9th best talent is not necessarily the same type of talent from draft to draft


I hear you. But the 9th best talent is still going to be better than he 20th best talent or whoever you take. I realize if you go 9 and pay him slot then you can't necessarily reach higher with 34. But honestly with the depth we have in our system I'd rather go 9 and 34 then, say, 20 and 22. I think we need the elite type player and while I realize anyone could turn into the elite type player I think the odds are more likely that the more talented guy will.

As far as our pick goes I am convinced we are taking Adell but I still have hopes for either Baz, Faedo or Bukauskas.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 12:30 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1094
paul253 said:
The Brewers don't need depth. They need talent. If they pass on superior talent to save money for later rounds I'll be furious.


If I understand the scouting system correctly (ha!), a later round pick doesn't necessarily mean lesser talent. It might be a HS player who is physically immature and is set up well to go to a quality baseball school and so won't sign for anything less than a certain slot number. If he matures, he very may well be a top 10 talent. If the top of the draft is relatively weak, it makes perfect sense to go underslot-- not because they are passing on superior talent-- but TO ACTUALLY SIGN superior talent from the later rounds.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 12:45 PM Post
Posts: 144
paul253 said:
For me it really depends on what's available. The 9th best talent is not necessarily the same type of talent from draft to draft


I hear you. But the 9th best talent is still going to be better than he 20th best talent or whoever you take. I realize if you go 9 and pay him slot then you can't necessarily reach higher with 34. But honestly with the depth we have in our system I'd rather go 9 and 34 then, say, 20 and 22. I think we need the elite type player and while I realize anyone could turn into the elite type player I think the odds are more likely that the more talented guy will.

As far as our pick goes I am convinced we are taking Adell but I still have hopes for either Baz, Faedo or Bukauskas.


As Oxy pointed out in the subsequent post, this is not necessarily true. IIRC, both Gatewood and Harrison were considered to have higher ceiings than Medeiros. I don't really care how much depth the Brewers are perceived to have, they are going to need more.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 12:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 69
Location: United States
82brewcrew82 said:
paul253 said:
For me it really depends on what's available. The 9th best talent is not necessarily the same type of talent from draft to draft


I hear you. But the 9th best talent is still going to be better than he 20th best talent or whoever you take. I realize if you go 9 and pay him slot then you can't necessarily reach higher with 34. But honestly with the depth we have in our system I'd rather go 9 and 34 then, say, 20 and 22. I think we need the elite type player and while I realize anyone could turn into the elite type player I think the odds are more likely that the more talented guy will.

As far as our pick goes I am convinced we are taking Adell but I still have hopes for either Baz, Faedo or Bukauskas.


As Oxy pointed out in the subsequent post, this is not necessarily true. IIRC, both Gatewood and Harrison were considered to have higher ceiings than Medeiros. I don't really care how much depth the Brewers are perceived to have, they are going to need more.


Completely agree with this. There is no such thing as "enough depth." The Brewers cannot afford to ever have another bankrupt farm system. Best way to ensure that is to stuff as much talent into it as possible, quantity as well as quality.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:03 PM Post
Posts: 3788
As Oxy pointed out in the subsequent post, this is not necessarily true. IIRC, both Gatewood and Harrison were considered to have higher ceiings than Medeiros


But Medeiros wasn't the 12th best talent in that draft. There were better players available when they picked him. So to explain my stance with that draft I hope they avoid drafting Medeiros and instead draft whoever the best player left on the board was.

if I understand the scouting system correctly (ha!), a later round pick doesn't necessarily mean lesser talent


I understand that it not necessarily true. It depends on your strategy. If your strategy is to pick to the best available talent, which is what I'm advocating, it should be true though. What I hope to avoid seeing is them selecting lesser talent in the first round. I think they need the best player they can get. In other words I'd rather see an A, a B, and a C then a B+ and two Bs. Hopefully that makes sense.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:06 PM Post
Posts: 3788
Best way to ensure that is to stuff as much talent into it as possible, quantity as well as quality


I agree but its hard to draft both quality and quantity at the same time. . Right now I'd argue our system is more quantity. Don't get me wrong we have a lot of good prospects. We just don't have very many really good ones. You only get so many chances to get a really good prospect. Top ten picks are one way. I don't want to see more depth at the expense of a higher quality player.


Last edited by paul253 on June 12, 2017, 1:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:07 PM Post
User avatar

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Posts: 7841
Two points:

Most mocks had the Brewers taking Delvin Perez last year leading up to the draft. I don't think all of these different people have individual knowledge that's what they're going to do, rather, they're "piggy-backing" this information and it has steamrolled. I'm not saying it won't be Adell, but recent history has told us to be wary of this info.

My money is on Heliot Ramos at #34. Book it.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:14 PM Post
Posts: 144
I don't know if you know something or not but if that is the case then no way do the go OF at 9.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:21 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 515
The age-old draft question: Take a safer pick closer to the Majors with a limited ceiling or take a riskier pick further from the Majors with a high ceiling?

The answer is probably some of both types spread between their top picks. However, the Brewers need franchise type players in their system still, so I have no problem gambling on a player like Jordan Adell, despite drafting Ray and Clark the last two seasons. This guy could flame out or he could be Justin Upton. That's a gamble teams picking at #9 every year don't even get to make. Austin Beck also has a similar talent ceiling IMO.

With that being said, the Brewers have had a MAJOR issue drafting starting pitchers that contribute at the big league level for the last 20+ years. If a pitcher like JB Bukauskas is there you have to consider him if you are the Brewers. Nothing is truly safe, but he certainly profiles as a mid-rotation starter, with a ceiling of a #2. To me that's a talent somewhere between Yovani Gallardo and Sonny Gray. Sign me up.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:34 PM Post
Posts: 394
colbyjack said:
Two points:

Most mocks had the Brewers taking Delvin Perez last year leading up to the draft. I don't think all of these different people have individual knowledge that's what they're going to do, rather, they're "piggy-backing" this information and it has steamrolled. I'm not saying it won't be Adell, but recent history has told us to be wary of this info.

My money is on Heliot Ramos at #34. Book it.


And minutes before the selection, there was heavy AJ Puk rumors
I don’t put a ton of stock in mock drafts outside of a barometer of where the talent might go. You can’t hide scouting presence but I’d hope Stearns, Arnold and Montgomery have made trips to see all the top players at some point his spring. Teams have heavy incentives to not leak or let players know how their evaluations compare to the peers. If a player/advisor knows he is top on a team’s board, they are going to float a higher bonus number than if they think they are bidding to be the selection amongst comparable peers.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 1:50 PM Post
Posts: 394
A Swing and A Drive said:
With that being said, the Brewers have had a MAJOR issue drafting starting pitchers that contribute at the big league level for the last 20+ years. If a pitcher like JB Bukauskas is there you have to consider him if you are the Brewers. Nothing is truly safe, but he certainly profiles as a mid-rotation starter, with a ceiling of a #2. To me that's a talent somewhere between Yovani Gallardo and Sonny Gray. Sign me up.

Id say there is more swing and miss stuff than either of those player. Gallardo was always projected as a starter though most had him behind Hughes and Garza in rankings because of less velocity on his fastball. You could put the Mccullers comparison on him as many closer tags were put on him as a prospect, but Mccullers has 2” on him. Still I think his stuff is good enough he can be a TOR pitcher though a volatile one at least for a few seasons.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 515
Yeah the lack of height on a Starting Pitcher doesn't bother me as much as it does most scouts. In fact, I trust pitchers under 6'0 feet more than over 6'6.

JB Bukausas' slider is probably the best pitch of any pitcher in the draft (besides Hunter Greene's fastball I suppose). I agree with your Lance McCullers comp on him and also think he sticks as a starter.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:21 PM Post
Posts: 384
Back in 2011 I watched video and read reports on Sonny Gray. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

Back in 2012 I watched video and read reports on Joey Gallo. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

This is how I feel about J.B. Bukauskas, this year. He is a major leaguer. He could pitch in the pen now. If he is available and the Brewers don't take him I will smash my head against the monitor. Yes, Bukauskas is 6' 0". However, when I watch him I see Tim Hudson, who was 6' 1". Moreover, Gray is only 5' 10". Bukauskas has a ceiling as a #1 or #2 starter and a floor as a 7th or 8th inning reliever.

In accordance my draft preference is as follow:

1. J.B. Bukauskas, if available.

2. Hunter Greene, RHP, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks, Calif.), if available

3. Trevor Rogers, LHP, Carlsbad (N.M.) HS, if available.

4. Royce Lewis, SS/OF, JSerra Catholic HS (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), if available.

5. Jo Adell, OF, Ballard HS (Louisville, Ky.), if available.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:28 PM Post
Posts: 384
A Swing and A Drive said:
Yeah the lack of height on a Starting Pitcher doesn't bother me as much as it does most scouts. In fact, I trust pitchers under 6'0 feet more than over 6'6.

JB Bukausas' slider is probably the best pitch of any pitcher in the draft (besides Hunter Greene's fastball I suppose). I agree with your Lance McCullers comp on him and also think he sticks as a starter.


Bukausas has a MLB fastball and slider. If he developes a change he has a chance to be a TOT starter. if he doesn't he is a nasty reliever.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:32 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 515
wildcat2237 said:
Back in 2011 I watched video and read reports on Sonny Gray. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

Back in 2012 I watched video and read reports on Joey Gallo. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

This is how I feel about J.B. Bukauskas, this year. He is a major leaguer. He could pitch in the pen now. If he is available and the Brewers don't take him I will smash my head against the monitor. Yes, Bukauskas is 6' 0". However, when I watch him I see Tim Hudson, who was 6' 1". Moreover, Gray is only 5' 10". Bukauskas has a ceiling as a #1 or #2 starter and a floor as a 7th or 8th inning reliever.

In accordance my draft preference is as follow:

1. J.B. Bukauskas, if available.

2. Hunter Greene, RHP, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks, Calif.), if available

3. Trevor Rogers, LHP, Carlsbad (N.M.) HS, if available.

4. Royce Lewis, SS/OF, JSerra Catholic HS (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), if available.

5. Jo Adell, OF, Ballard HS (Louisville, Ky.), if available.


Wow, Gray and Gallo are the same two players I was infatuated with during those past drafts. And yes, I did smash things when the Brewers pasted on both players multiple times.(Gray twice- Jungmann and Bradley. Gallo thrice-Coulter, Roache, Haniger)

And like yourself, I'm hung up on Bukauskas being a great pick for the Brewers. (although I'll admit that I'd gamble on Hunter Greene over him but that point will be moot)

I would also be happy with an underslot deal with LHP high schooler Trevor Rogers if JB is not available.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:45 PM Post
Posts: 384
Double Post


Last edited by wildcat2237 on June 12, 2017, 2:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:50 PM Post
Posts: 706
wildcat2237 said:
Back in 2011 I watched video and read reports on Sonny Gray. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

Back in 2012 I watched video and read reports on Joey Gallo. I decided that if he was available and the Brewers didn't take him I would be livid.

This is how I feel about J.B. Bukauskas, this year. He is a major leaguer. He could pitch in the pen now. If he is available and the Brewers don't take him I will smash my head against the monitor. Yes, Bukauskas is 6' 0". However, when I watch him I see Tim Hudson, who was 6' 1". Moreover, Gray is only 5' 10". Bukauskas has a ceiling as a #1 or #2 starter and a floor as a 7th or 8th inning reliever.

In accordance my draft preference is as follow:

1. J.B. Bukauskas, if available.

2. Hunter Greene, RHP, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks, Calif.), if available

3. Trevor Rogers, LHP, Carlsbad (N.M.) HS, if available.

4. Royce Lewis, SS/OF, JSerra Catholic HS (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), if available.

5. Jo Adell, OF, Ballard HS (Louisville, Ky.), if available.


I'm going to keep my expectations... neutral at best. I don't think I remember a year in which the Brewers selected a guy most of us were excited about, at least during the time I was here.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 2:53 PM Post
Posts: 384
Rogers reminds me of Bumgarner.

Very advanced high school arm. I would be very okay with an under-slot deal if Greene and Buskauskas are gone.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 3:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 307
colbyjack said:
Two points:

Most mocks had the Brewers taking Delvin Perez last year leading up to the draft. I don't think all of these different people have individual knowledge that's what they're going to do, rather, they're "piggy-backing" this information and it has steamrolled. I'm not saying it won't be Adell, but recent history has told us to be wary of this info.

My money is on Heliot Ramos at #34. Book it.
If he's there I 100% agree. Anyone heard anything lately about Tristan Beck?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: The 2017 MLB Draft Thread (#9 Pick + #34 & #46)
Posted: June 12, 2017, 3:04 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 307
wildcat2237 said:
Rogers reminds me of Bumgarner.

Very advanced high school arm. I would be very okay with an under-slot deal if Greene and Buskauskas are gone.
His age and competition level are the only things making me hesitate at 9


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  [ 730 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test