LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

You can change one Brewers draft pick...

Offline  Re: You can change one Brewers draft pick...

Posted: May 29, 2018, 10:44 PM Post
2011 4th Rd

Nick Ramirez (131st overall)

for

Mike Clevinger (135th overall)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:36 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I tend to wonder how many of today's stars or top prospects would still be so if we had picked them.

Certainly we haven't drafted well enough, I'm just curious as to whether there is a major coaching flaw in the farm system that has helped contribute to the problem. It isn't normal to take this many pitchers as we have over the years, especially picking high most years, and literally have two that turn out to be more than #4s in 25 years.

Great post, Adam. I have been wondering the same for years and hoping someone would overhaul the minor league instruction.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 8:01 PM Post
Harry Doyle's JD said:
adambr2 said:
I tend to wonder how many of today's stars or top prospects would still be so if we had picked them.

Certainly we haven't drafted well enough, I'm just curious as to whether there is a major coaching flaw in the farm system that has helped contribute to the problem. It isn't normal to take this many pitchers as we have over the years, especially picking high most years, and literally have two that turn out to be more than #4s in 25 years.

Great post, Adam. I have been wondering the same for years and hoping someone would overhaul the minor league instruction.

I can tell you what their philosophy was in the late 90's/early 2000s - they put the high schoolers as the starters in the minors because "they needed to throw more innings" and the college pitchers as the relievers. They didn't subscribe to the innings jump limit until 2004/2005, but neither did most teams.

The acronym TINSTAPP really applied prior to 2005 because they (and most teams) didn't understand the fragility of HS arms. Also, until protection for unsigned picks (2010) and the draft bonus pool (2012) they were not on a level paying field. They had to go for signability and hope they developed. Post draft bonus pool implementation, they've been as good as anyone but have picked very few pitchers early.

2012 - no pitcher until 3rd round, but Tyler Wagner, Damien Magnifico, Anthony Banda, and this Brent Suter guy
2013 - no first round pick, but Taylor Williams in the 4th and Ryan Yarbrough (who didn't sign, but is pitching well for the Rays) and Devin Williams was developing nicely until he got hurt
2014 - jury still out on Medeiros, but nabbed Brandon Woodruff and Jordan Yamamoto in the 11th and 12th rounds; Sneed was good enough to be flipped for Villar (and Sneed is having a good year in AAA this year)

Anything else is too recent, but 2015 has Ponce and Kirby, and 2016 is the infamous Braden Webb, Corbin Burnes, Zack Brown run with Thomas Jankins in the 13th.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test