LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 204 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft

Offline  Re: Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft
Posted: June 09, 2017, 7:17 AM Post
Brewers select Shane Baz

I hate the Cubs. I hope they die.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft
Posted: June 09, 2017, 8:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
This is a tough one! Four picks, four different options.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 8:20 AM Post
1.9 Brewers select Jordon "Jo" Adell, OF, Ballard HS, Louisville, KY

Make it 5 different picks in 5 posts.

Dammit. Brewers should have lost a few more games last season. Adell is probably the biggest gamble in the 1st Rd. Gotta roll the dice!

David Peterson has a very limited ceiling and is way too vanilla for a Top 10 pick. I think the Brewers could land a pitcher with more upside at their #34 overall supplemental pick.

Last edited by A Swing and A Drive on June 09, 2017, 10:13 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 8:43 AM Post
I'm gonna guess the Brewers pick someone not many people expected them to pick:

1.9 the Brewers select Shane Baz.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 8:55 AM Post
1:9 David Peterson

I was hoping Bukauskas would still be on the board.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 8:58 AM Post
1.9 Brewers select Jordan Adell

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 9:22 AM Post
Don't particularly like the way the board turned out for the brewers, was hoping for some guys in the top 8 to fall.

1.9 David Peterson

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 9:32 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
This will be an exceptionally low conviction pick. I do think the Brewers will go underslot a bit at 9. I don't think Kendall, Baz, Beck, or Adell really qualify as that here. I'm not on Faedo at all at 9, underslot or otherwise.

That leads me to someone from the following group of nine: Hall, Pratto, Hiura, Carlson, Peterson, Canning, Burger, Warmoth, Rogers.

College righties aren't that interesting to me, so there goes Canning. Rogers has a great arm, but the age thing bothers me just enough, he's out. High school first basemen, no thank you, so not Pratto.

The college position player group is Hiura, Warmoth, and Burger. In a way Warmoth would make the most sense given his up the middle profile often preferred by the Brewers, and some scouts are really enamored with his bat. Most aren't, and there's some question if he can even stick at shortstop. Burger seems destined for first, though perhaps he could Schwarber it in left field. Arm bar in swing makes me nervous. Hiura's value is also almost solely dependent on his bat, as I think it's anyone's guess if his arm will be able to recover enough to play second. Burger being limited defensively and Warmoth maybe not sticking at short leads me to pick Hiura from that group, who at least has a chance to stay in the middle of the infield.

Hall vs Carlson is interesting, and I really like both. If I had a draft board, they'd be about even. Everything else being equal, I take Hall due to the hand he happens to throw with.

Hall vs Peterson is also interesting. I think Hall pretty clearly has the higher upside, but also clearly has the lower floor. I also think Peterson's upside is not low by any means. Also guessing the Brewers could get him at less of a cost. So while this is admittedly sacrificing some unknown premium, I like the certainty and shorter development time frame. Peterson by a hair.

That leaves Peterson and Hiura. I have one major qualm with Hiura, which is where does he fit on defense? His bat is special, but it's a distinct possibility he'll be limited to left field, or even first base. That's just too far down the defensive spectrum for the ninth overall pick.

Speaking of too far down the spectrum, a dark horse might be Evan White. If the Brewers think he can play center, that's a really intriguing profile. That said:

1.9 - David Peterson

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 10:41 AM Post
1.9 DL Hall

The Brewers pick in a fairly bad spot, particularly if the board falls the way we picked it. There is no clear cut guy at 9. You could argue that 9-17 or 20 or so are fairly equivalent. Pretty bad year to select at the end of the top ten.

I have no problem with a first baseman at nine if you had an impact, middle of the order, guy. Princie went seventh out of a FL high school and was well worth the pick. i don't see Pratto as having that pedigree.

Unfortunately, there are not the upside pitchers as there were in 2016. So, any of the high schoolers are full of questions, whether it's control or the repertoire. I'd definitely go with the upside guys. I'd be very interested in Baz but have not seen a single hint that the Brewers are connected to him. I particularly like that Baz has an assortment of pitches to work from. Carlson and Rogers are the other guys most interesting to me, although none of the high school pitchers really stand out.

I wouldn't rule out Petersen because his metrics look good from an analytical standpoint. I wouldn't take him as I am wary of college guys who surge late in their careers, and I question his upside. The Brewers have plenty of "guys." I'd draft for upside and if it bombs out like it did with Mark Rogers, that's part of the deal when you try to get greatness. Settling for ok players isn't going to get you to WS success in a market like Milwaukee.

At 34, I would be intrigued by Seth Romero if he gets there. I think he could be signed because of his prior antics and the Brewers didn't shy away from Lucas Erceg despite his past drama. You come out of here with Baz (or Hall) and Romero and we can rejoice in the streets.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 10:54 AM Post
1.9 Jaren Kendall

Sorry to say, but I think the Brewers go OFer again even more so with the board we picked...Kendall or Adell. Jaren Kendall has the chance to be similar to prime Carlos Gomez. Adell has an incredible ceiling, but also a massive risk. If they opt to underslot then I figure a pitcher is the guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 11:09 AM Post
1.9 Alex Faedo Don't know why, I just think he is the choice.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 11:29 AM Post
1.9 - Sam Carlson, or that's my hope at least.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 12:15 PM Post
Round 1, Pick 9, the Milwaukee Brewers select David Peterson, LHP, University of Oregon

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 3:57 PM Post
1.9 Sam Carlson

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2017, 4:09 PM Post
Brewers select DL Hall. With their pick

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft
Posted: June 10, 2017, 8:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
So the saying goes, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Last year I was certain that the several mock drafts tying the Brewers to Corey Ray were rooted more in guess work than concrete evidence. I was fairly confident (as much as someone with no real knowledge of the truth can be at least) the Brewers were going a different direction. I was wrong, obviously. So this year faced with mock after mock tying the Brewers to Jordon Adell I find myself in a strange state of deja vu. It seems like there is an awful lot of smoke surrounding the pairing of the Louisville prep star and the Brewers. So here we are and surely the passing of a calendar year has left me one year further down the road of "lessons learned", and the mistakes of the past have become the guide for the future. Well in the words of Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend"...

This is guess work (obviously), but I think there is a chance the Brewers end up being one of the teams that find a guy they can save some money on with their first selection in order to target guys at #34 and #46. I am admittedly working backwards here, but I am going to take the Brewers reported ties to Drew Waters and Tristan Beck to mean they are going to attempt to get one or both of those players at the #34 and #46 spots. I am also going to guess that they go after a high school player with the first selection. I think Shane Baz would be a great selection in terms of talent, but it would likely come at full slot cost at #9, and there is a chance he could use his strong commitment to TCU to leverage an over slot ask. I think the next likely high school options (removing the HS outfielders Adell and Beck from the first selection consideration) are D.L. Hall, Trevor Rogers, or Nick Pratto. I have heard zero connection between the Brewers and Pratto so I am crossing him off the list. It seems like a coin toss between the two pitchers, Hall and Rogers, although the Brewers have been connected to Hall slightly more than Rogers. In this scenario I am going to say the Brewers float a slightly greater than $4 million signing number to each player which would save the Brewers ~$500,000 in pool value for other picks. It also represents a slot value somewhere between the #11 and #12 draft selections. For a pairing with a player currently projected to go a few picks beyond that range it may provide a win-win for both sides.

1.9 Milwaukee Brewers - Trevor Rogers, LHP, Carlsbad HS (NM)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2017, 7:52 PM Post
Heart says Beck. Head says an underslot player
Brewers- Trevor Rogers

Last edited by MilwaukeeBeers on June 11, 2017, 10:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2017, 7:58 PM Post
dl hall

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2017, 10:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm thinking LHP this year. Hall or Rogers.

I think the Brewers try to undo the bad Karma from picking Mark Rogers (RHP) by taking LHP Trevor Rogers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2017, 11:00 PM Post
1.9 Austin Beck

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 204 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test