LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft

Offline  Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft

Posted: May 06, 2017, 4:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
Welcome to the Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft.

Draft Order and Date of Selection

1 - Tuesday, May 30 - Minnesota Twins - On the clock
2 - Wednesday, May 31 - Cincinnati Reds
3 - Thursday, June 1 - San Diego Padres
4 - Friday, June 2 - Tampa Bay Rays
5 - Monday, June 5 - Atlanta Braves
6 - Tuesday, June 6 - Oakland Athletics
7 - Wednesday, June 7 - Arizona Diamondbacks
8 - Thursday, June 8 - Philadelphia Phillies
9 - Friday, June 9 - Milwaukee Brewers

On the date listed of each pick, simply post the name of the person you think will get picked. Do not pick who you want to select, or who you think is the best selection for that team. The idea is to predict the actual pick that the club would make at that time. The player with the most votes will be selected for that slot. Once a player is off the board, he can not be selected again.

I will update this thread every day once each pick is made, so the name of the person drafted is in the list above.

IMPORTANT: I am not asking you to submit a Top 10 list or any kind of list. This is like a real draft. On the day a pick is due, you come to the thread, and submit the pick for that day’s team only. So only May 30, you go online, go to the thread, hit REPLY and type in something like “Minnesota selects Hunter Greene at #1.” Or “1.1 - Brendan McKay”. You are welcome (even encouraged) to offer your opinion as to why you have made the pick - but you don’t have to.

Take a look at last year’s thread if you have questions: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34036

Otherwise, the best resource for the draft is the official BF.net Draft Thread - viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34173 - I encourage people to read this thread (especially the more recent posts) as there is a lot of conversations about specific prospects, links to mock drafts, etc.

Notes:

We are just doing the top nine picks - through Milwaukee. I thought it would be fun to build to the Brewer selection up to the actual draft day.

I’ve avoided drafting on the weekend - except the final pick - the Brewer pick. We’ll have three full days to make the Brewer pick - thus letting as many people as possible participate in that momentous moment.

I encourage people to come back every day - but if you miss a day or two or three - no big deal. Just come and jump back into making that day’s selection.

If you have questions, just post them on the thread.

Thanks.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewerfan.net 2017 Community Mock Draft

Posted: May 25, 2017, 10:27 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I'll do the honors...

1.1 - Kyle Wright

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 9:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
And That said:
I'll do the honors...

1.1 - Kyle Wright

Thank you!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 10:04 AM Post
1.1 Kyle Wright

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 11:36 AM Post
I have seen the Twins linked to Wright so I will agree 1.1 Wright.

I think he has potential to be an upper echelon starter. He is a college guy, and particularly from a Vandy program that's done a nice job producing starting pitchers.

If it were me, I would take Hunter Greene, though. He's just too electric. Wright may be safer but there is tremendous upside with Greene.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 7:59 PM Post
1.1 Kyle Wright

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 10:28 PM Post
With the 1st Pick in the 2017 MLB Draft, Minnesota selects Brendan McKay

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2017, 10:46 PM Post
1.1 Hunter Greene

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2017, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
Last year was a good example of just how fluid the last couple of weeks leading up to the MLB draft can prove to be. Last year none of our first 3 picks were selected in the top 5, and 4 of the top 8 picks in our mock fell out of the top 10: Kyle Lewis (#11), Jason Groome (#12), Blake Rutherford (#18), and Delvin Perez (#23). We did correctly nail one selection, Zack Collins going #10 to the White Sox. So as much as things seem to be firming up, it still remains a bit of a crap-shoot at this point.

Now on to the Twins. The Twins took one of my favorite players selected in last year's first round, Alex Kirilloff. Last year they took 4 players in the first two rounds, all high schoolers. Over the past four drafts they have seemingly had more success among their early round selections with high school players (Nick Gordon, Byron Buxton, Jose Berrios) than college players (Tyler Jay, Nick Burdi, Ryan Eades, Luke Bard). This of course isn't a perfect narrative since Kohl Stewart has struggled after being the #4 pick in the 2013 draft out of high school.

Of course past performance probably doesn't mean all that much in terms of future decision making in the draft. Still, whatever the Twins' draft philosophy of the past has been, it shouldn't change too significantly this year. The Twins did appoint a new scouting director this past off season, but he has been with the organization since 2002 and the previous scouting director is still within the organization as well.

With two weeks to go until this years draft so much can change from this point forward. The Twins have had some success developing teenagers. While I personally may encourage the Twins to take a college pitcher such as Wright or McKay, I sense a high school player coming with the selection. Hunter Greene appears a likely selection for a team choosing the best high school talent, but I think there might be more than just smoke to the rumors that Greene is angling to make a deal with the Padres. That leaves a talented high school player who has been occasionally rumored as a dark horse for the #1 overall pick for a couple of months now...

1.1 Minnesota Twins - Royce Lewis (CF/IF)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2017, 7:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
1.1 Hunter Greene - Twins are not shy about top tier HS talent. Greene is definitely that.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test