LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 27, 2017, 12:13 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I'm just guessing, but I don't know if there is any player unsigned (not counting the guys who have firmly said they are going to college) that we'd throw a ton of money at. Je'Von Ward is probably the most interesting player - but his ranking of around 200 (he was #233 by BA and #194 by MLP Pipeline) would have netted him around $220,000 if he had actually been picked in that slot.

So I'm just guessing that the team is going to sign several of these guys - but not for $1M or anything. It'll be $300,000 here, $200,000 there, etc.

Of course, all bets are off if Campbell or Jacobsen show a willingness to sign.

THIS is the post I've been waiting for. So if your theory is correct, I would assume we sign the majority of those guys in the teen rounds.

I'm guessing, then, that McClanahan had a much higher grade than where he was drafted at to command that amount of a bonus last year? So these guys would be more Payton Henry than Chad McClanahan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2017, 5:11 PM Post
My guess is that they'll target three guys with $500K each ($1.2M/3 = $400K plus the $125K), unless they think they can get Campbell for $1.3M.

My bets are Layer, Morales, and one or both of Ward/Castillo.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2017, 5:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
reillymcshane said:
I'm just guessing, but I don't know if there is any player unsigned (not counting the guys who have firmly said they are going to college) that we'd throw a ton of money at. Je'Von Ward is probably the most interesting player - but his ranking of around 200 (he was #233 by BA and #194 by MLP Pipeline) would have netted him around $220,000 if he had actually been picked in that slot.

So I'm just guessing that the team is going to sign several of these guys - but not for $1M or anything. It'll be $300,000 here, $200,000 there, etc.

Of course, all bets are off if Campbell or Jacobsen show a willingness to sign.

THIS is the post I've been waiting for. So if your theory is correct, I would assume we sign the majority of those guys in the teen rounds.

I'm guessing, then, that McClanahan had a much higher grade than where he was drafted at to command that amount of a bonus last year? So these guys would be more Payton Henry than Chad McClanahan.

McClanahan was ranked #122 by MLB Pipeline last year. I don't know what other places ranked him, but on that ranking he is on par with Campbell. So the other guys on the list - like Ward - are probably not going to get as much as McClanahan (who got $1.2M).

I don't know if McClanahan's ranking was affected by his reported strong commitment to Arizona St. - but I don't think that's how it works. But we definitely paid him well to forego his college commitment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2017, 6:06 PM Post
I bet they sign five or better.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2017, 4:40 PM Post
Rankings don't necessarily correlate to what a kid will sign for. If you have a kid from a family that's not very well-off, it's harder for that kid and his family to pass up a couple hundred thousand dollars (plus college paid for down the road) versus a kid from an upper-middle class family. Also depends on how good of a student the kid is. If the kid doesn't really like school or has learning challenges, it might not take as much to sign him versus a kid with a 3.9 GPA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2017, 11:40 AM Post
Where was it confirmed that Harrison signed? I see he's bolded in the signings thread.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2017, 11:51 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I don't think I did that - no, I haven't seen or heard of any confirmation. He's been un-bolded.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2017, 2:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
TheJumpAround said:
Where was it confirmed that Harrison signed? I see he's bolded in the signings thread.

I have heard from a source that Harrison and Lutz have agreed to deals. At or near slot. Assumes no issues with physicals or someone has second thoughts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2017, 1:43 PM Post
Adam McCalvy‏Verified account @AdamMcCalvy 1m1 minute ago
Adam McCalvy Retweeted Landoc
Just asked David Stearns about Lutz, drafted No. 34 overall. No deal yet, but he anticipates more signings before the deadline on Friday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 10:49 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
KJ Harrison has signed for full slot value of $666,600.

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/ ... 0284748805

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 11:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
He didn't hold out for $66.66 more?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 2:40 PM Post
Jim Callis‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB 20s21 seconds ago
Supp 1st-rder Tristen Lutz signs w/@Brewers for $2,352,000 (pick 34=$1,983,600). Texas HS OF, big RH power, hittability & arm too. @MLBDraft

Brewers Player Dev‏ @BrewersPD 4s5 seconds ago
Draft signings: Lutz (CB-A) and Harrison (3)
Team Confirmation

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 2:51 PM Post
I have the brewers at about $500k left over for ward and other post 10th round signees. Does that sound right?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 2:55 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Yep, they have about $522k left to spend, which does not count whatever Ward signed for. If Ward signed for $647k, they are tapped out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 2:59 PM Post
I hope they have some money left for layer, etc.

nice to get 2 more from that group.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2017, 3:40 PM Post
Happy to hear the Lutz news as I was keeping an eye on that. Good value for where they got him.

It harkens me back a bit to Joey Gallo, who I liked coming out of a Vegas high school. Big kid with pop. Gallo does not have the full hit tools that Lutz has, though. But, whereas I was disappointed we didn't pounce on Gallo, we got a nice value pick who can be a middle of the order bat who will still have decent average and also defend well in corner OF spots.

Brinson, Phillips, Harrison, and Lutz are some OF guys I absolutely wouldn't move. Let's see it play out with these guys.

Plus, I like some of our Latin prospects from the past couple of years. Abreu, Carmona (IF for now), Rodriguez, Ernesto Martinez, Larry Ernesto, Melendez. I hope a couple of those bubble up big time. You get enough lines in the water, and some fish are going to bite.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 7:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
You get enough lines in the water, and some fish are going to bite.

You also need to fish in the right waters and with big enough bait. We had many lines in the water in years past, but we were using waxies three feet from shore. All we caught were baby sunfish. Time to go after some muskies! [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 7:52 AM Post
Yep, they have about $522k left to spend, which does not count whatever Ward signed for. If Ward signed for $647k, they are tapped out.

Don't forget they signed another HS player 23rd round pick Cam Robinson, so who knows how much the Brewers will have leftover, can't be much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 8:39 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:

You also need to fish in the right waters and with big enough bait. We had many lines in the water in years past, but we were using waxies three feet from shore. All we caught were baby sunfish. Time to go after some muskies! [wink]

Lol nice.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 9:09 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:

That was the most Wisconsin thing I have seen on this forum in a long time.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test