LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:42 PM Post
Nick Egnatuk. HS 3b.

Don't know anything about him.

Last edited by cubsdie on June 13, 2017, 12:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I hate the Cubs. I hope they die.

Quote   Reply 
Global Moderator
Some of these kids weren't even 3 years old when Prince Fielder was drafted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Frankie Piliere‏Verified account @FPiliereD1 8s8 seconds ago
#Brewers take Nick Egnatuk. I thought after last summer he would be a top 50 pick. Tall, athletic, big time power potential. Excellent pick

Christopher Crawford‏Verified account @Crawford_MILB 32s33 seconds ago
Brewers pick Egnatuk has "big man who needs a big cereal" power. Only plus tool, but it's a good plus tool to have.

Nathan Rode‏ @NathanRode 21s22 seconds ago
Nathan Rode Retweeted Frankie Piliere
Really struggled offensively this spring. Upside for sure. Just has to find it again.

Last edited by TheJumpAround on June 13, 2017, 12:44 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 
Egnatuk, Nick Immaculata HS 3B R/R HS

"A high school infielder, Egnatuk wows scouts in batting practice with 60-grade raw power" MLB.com

Sounds like a piece of work though so don't expect to see him any time soon. Drafted for the power.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:44 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Here's the report on Egnatuk. Again, another bat, and what's interesting is that these have all been righthanded hitters after loading up on so many lefthanded hitters in recent years.

188. Nicholas Egnatuk, 3b, Immaculata HS
R-R, 6-2/185, Basking Ridge, N.J.
College Commitment: Pittsburgh

Egnatuk wasn't on most scout's radars before last August but was very impressive, especially offensively, in the East Coast Pro Showcase and the Area Code Games that month to establish himself as perhaps a late rising Northeast hitting prospect.

Egnatuk's best tool is unquestionably his right handed bat. He has a crisp and strong swing that is high on line drive contact and enough strength to drive the gaps. He also runs from 4.2 to 4.3 from the right side and will be able to beat out some infield hits and stretch some singles into doubles. Defensively, Egnatuk has shown the ability to make the athletic play, especially with his athletic quickness, but will need more repetitions to get consistent on the routine plays. His arm has big league average strength but his lower release slot tends to make some throws tail.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:45 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

"A high school infielder, Egnatuk wows scouts in batting practice with 60-grade raw power" MLB.com

Sounds like a piece of work though so don't expect to see him any time soon. Drafted for the power.

Why not put the rest of it up there?

but he hits a lot of ground balls during games. He's struggled against good pitching, and a bulky body might require him to move to left field at the next level. But the potential to put the ball out of the ballpark is there.

Takes a ton of shine off of the pick.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
MrTPlush said:

but he hits a lot of ground balls during games. He's struggled against good pitching, and a bulky body might require him to move to left field at the next level. But the potential to put the ball out of the ballpark is there.

If you put all your faith in a single scouting report.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:51 PM Post
trwi7 said:
MrTPlush said:

Not for me, not in the fifth round.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:52 PM Post
homer said:

Well sure but the single scouting report that he put up was a single sentence that only praises the player while leaving out the part that actually has legitimate concerns about the player. Why not just put the whole thing up instead of just the sunshine and puppies part?

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:53 PM Post
I don't understand all the worries about signability. Teams are well aware of what each players numbers are. They understand chances of them signing. Too much to lose as Plush said if you aren't able to. Money is just gone. Once we get to round 11, that's were teams start to grab some of those guys with strong commitment & hope they saved enough pool money to sign them away as we did last year with McClanahan.

I'd expect a few seniors coming in the near rounds to collect more savings. Harrison should receive close to slot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 12:56 PM Post
trwi7 said:
homer said:

Well sure but the single scouting report that he put up was a single sentence that only praises the player while leaving out the part that actually has legitimate concerns about the player. Why not just put the whole thing up instead of just the sunshine and puppies part?

Yeah, but he also included that he was going to need a lot of work. I don't think anyone would have been under the impression that we stumbled upon some sure thing in the fifth round.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:00 PM Post
trwi7 said:
homer said:

I mentioned he looked like a ton of work. I don't particularily like to post word for word the negatives because those tend to vary a lot more. For instance the debacle with Hiura. One quote and suddenly he has no defensive home and can't play 2nd base. Which was not the most accurate. Not to mention it is the 5th round. At this point most players are covered in mud with a little shiney spot on them. I find this thread to be more reactionary and not after a ton of research is done. So it makes sense to hit on the things that made us draft him (his power). Not saying you don't mention the downsides I just decided not to do it word for word.

Last edited by MrTPlush on June 13, 2017, 1:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:00 PM Post
This swing looks brutal.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:03 PM Post
[quote="trwi7"]This swing looks brutal.

What do you expect in the 5th round. I'll take a chance on a player with a 60 grade anything in round 5.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:06 PM Post
I like the KJ Harrison pick. I've been interested in amateur catchers for a couple of years, so I've been researching future possibilities given Lucroy's status as a trade candidate during that time. Harrison was a top of mind name that kept coming up. I think he's well worth his draft position and if he reverts to catcher, it could be an absolute steal. He was taken right around where Lucroy was taken.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
We have a strong farm, so I like that we're getting some high-upside high schoolers. No need to sacrifice upside for guys who will "shoot to the majors quickly"

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:13 PM Post
trwi7 said:
This swing looks brutal.

Slowing it down it doesn't look that bad. Real time it looks horrid because he is swinging at bad pitches which obviously doesn't bring out the best swing in you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:13 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
trwi7 said:

Slowing it down it doesn't look that bad. Real time it looks horrid because he is swinging at bad pitches which obviously doesn't bring out the best swing in you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:20 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Remember beginning with round 6, please start using the rounds 6-20 thread.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2017, 1:40 PM Post
trwi7 said:
MrTPlush said:

A fifth round flier on a raw power prospect. What kind of shine are you looking for here?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test