LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Online  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: July 06, 2017, 10:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well, the Lutz signing is good news. It was more than I anticipated - but getting him signed is the most important thing.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: July 07, 2017, 9:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
CheezWizHed said:
You get enough lines in the water, and some fish are going to bite.

You also need to fish in the right waters and with big enough bait. We had many lines in the water in years past, but we were using waxies three feet from shore. All we caught were baby sunfish. Time to go after some muskies! [wink]

That was the most Wisconsin thing I have seen on this forum in a long time.

Complement accepted. I wear my cheesehead with pride. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2017, 11:27 AM Post
The Brewers signed the most high school picks and left the 3rd least amount of money on the table according to here. Thier table seems to have missed Koenig, Bradshaw, Crochet, Jacobsen, and Kaufman so Im not positive to its accuracy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2017, 6:27 AM Post
As others have said, I like the way they handled those double digit round picks, going for more upside with high school guys. It may not be the type of thing you do every year, but it fits our circumstances now. We have plenty of organizational depth where we've drafted the Trey Yorks, Dustin DeMuths, and Blake Allemands of the world. You pool your money on higher upside high schoolers and hope you hit a lottery ticket or two.

And, sure, we signed everyone but if somebody like Lemons or, God forbid, Lutz didn't sign, you could throw money at a Campbell (who we didn't get) as a backup plan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2017, 8:15 AM Post
My hope is it is based on a deeper analysis and not necessarily Minasian saying he could use some 18 year olds. I’m not opposed to it being an annual strategy. Collectively, as competitive as MLB baseball and amateur scouting, you’d presume that organizations are getting better at identifying talents and earlier. They seem to be getting better at managing bonus pools too. That would mean less talents are getting to the college game every year. So shifting to getting players younger makes sense if you feel like you have a strong system of identifying traits that correlate to success.
Obviously, this is coming from my thoughts and not backed by any hard data, but it seems reasonable.
Take Jordan Yamamoto. Katoh’s flawed but unbiased projection system had him at 2.2 WAR coming into this season (and I doubt he has diminished that much). That would be top 15 in all of NCAA and likely at least a 3rd round pick. Does his scouting report really read all that much different than Alex Lange’s?
Yamamoto has obviously worked out better than say Gentry Fortuno, and Mike Fiers and Brandon Woodruff show good college players and can still be had late, but if the Brewers have data showing high school players rated 200+ sign rate+breakout rate is exceeding college players rated 200+, why not?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2017, 8:37 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Austin Tatious said:
And, sure, we signed everyone but if somebody like Lemons or, God forbid, Lutz didn't sign, you could throw money at a Campbell (who we didn't get) as a backup plan.

Yes and no. If Lutz/Lemons don't sign, their bonus slot pool money goes away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2017, 7:24 AM Post
Thanks for the clarification. Some of these rules can be confusing for fans.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  [ 467 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test