LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 469 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 19, 2017, 6:36 PM Post
5th rounder signed overslot for 500 k

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2017, 7:26 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
4th rounder Brendan Murphy has signed as well.

https://twitter.com/brewcrewblue/status ... 7793703936

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2017, 8:30 PM Post
4th-rder Brendan Murphy signs w/@Brewers for $500k (pick 114=$468,600). Illinois HS LHP, 88-93 w/life, fading CH, projectable. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2017, 4:26 AM Post
markedman5 said:

I know high school stats aren't going to provide much correlation, but I'm alittle perplexed that a above slot, corner infield, top-5 round pick can only hit .265 with 1 home run against high school competition.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2017, 6:11 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
markedman5 said:

I know high school stats aren't going to provide much correlation, but I'm alittle perplexed that a above slot, corner infield, top-5 round pick can only hit .265 with 1 home run against high school competition.

For sure. He did slide a bit this spring after that performance. Brewers are betting on the tools.

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't see game action this season while they iron out his mechanics.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 2:59 PM Post
1st-rder Keston Hiura signs w/@Brewers, $4 mil (pick 9=$4.57 mil). UC Irvine OF/2B, best pure hitter in @MLBDraft, led NCAA D-I in AVG & OBP

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 4:14 PM Post
markedman5 said:
1st-rder Keston Hiura signs w/@Brewers, $4 mil (pick 9=$4.57 mil). UC Irvine OF/2B, best pure hitter in @MLBDraft, led NCAA D-I in AVG & OBP

Explains why teams before us didn't agree to an underslot deal. Not much of a savings at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 4:54 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
markedman5 said:

Explains why teams before us didn't agree to an underslot deal. Not much of a savings at all.

It looks like the bonuses have come out from 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 and has come in at $494,500 under slot.

2 and 10 have signed, but haven't seen $ figures for either of those 2 signings yet.

Still, that leaves 1b, 2, 3, 6, and 10 with a pretty sizable amount available under slot, and that doesn't even factor in the 5% teams can go over. Hopefully Lutz doesn't eat up too much of the available pot. If I remember correctly and teams can go 5% over, that's an additional 522,385 they can play with. I'm guessing with both Harrison and Hairston being college picks, they shouldn't command much, if any, over slot. Hopefully the Crew is able to play with that ~$1m for all those HS players drafted between the 11th and 20th rounds.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 5:10 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
McCalvy sez likely no immediate surgery for Hiura and that Hiura expects to be assigned to Wisconsin.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 5:27 PM Post
TH tweet

#Brewers tests showed Hiura's UCL healed after PRP injection. Huge news for player and organization.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 5:34 PM Post
markedman5 said:
TH tweet

#Brewers tests showed Hiura's UCL healed after PRP injection. Huge news for player and organization.

That is real good news.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 5:35 PM Post
RE: Keston's elbow, I'm going to post the same thing I said about Tyler Thornburg rehabbing instead of surgery: Mistake.

He may be available sooner, but that elbow will be a ticking time bomb. I know surgery is no sure-fire bet, but long-term prognosis is better than not getting it properly fixed.

I'll gladly admit it if I'm wrong.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 6:20 PM Post
Comparing the elbow of a 2B to a pitcher...not good

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2017, 9:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Maybe he can throw underhand from 2B.

Well, Wisconsin can certainly use his offense. I wonder what they will do with Tucker Neuhaus.

Looks like Braun and Villar are going to rehab in WI also. I wonder if that is intentional.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 8:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
Watched his BP after he signed. Man does he have a nice, quick swing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:05 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

I was unaware he was pitching when he hurt it the first time. Since he won't be pitching, he could not injure it again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:23 AM Post
Harry Doyle's JD said:
MrTPlush said:

I was unaware he was pitching when he hurt it the first time. Since he won't be pitching, he could not injure it again.

I am just saying Tyler Thornburg is a pitcher who throws 90+mph plus a bunch of other stressors on his arm. A 2B will not throw it as hard or even remotely close to as often. Not saying he can't injure himself again playing 2B, but I would find it to be a lot more unlikely than someone like Thornburg(or any pitcher). There are many players who heal their elbows without surgery and successfully avoid it in the future.

Regardless there is no point to going under the knife right now. The elbow has healed and there is nothing to repair.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:25 AM Post
This notion that the Brewers brass randomly drafted this kid without being VERY informed as to his medical situation seems very strange to me. Likewise, the idea that the Brewers brass are a bunch of bumbling idiots that, after acquiring even more medical information, are just going to throw him on the field to play despite an obvious need for surgery is equally strange.

They looked at the medicals and re-examined the kid after the draft. If they say the elbow is good, then the elbow is good. Even so, they are not taking that for granted. They have clearly stated that he is going to start with a throwing program in Maryvale before going on. Unless one is a M.D. AND one has reviewed the medicals, then one has nothing more than conjecture to conclude future issues.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:39 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
This notion that the Brewers brass randomly drafted this kid without being VERY informed as to his medical situation seems very strange to me. Likewise, the idea that the Brewers brass are a bunch of bumbling idiots that, after acquiring even more medical information, are just going to throw him on the field to play despite an obvious need for surgery is equally strange.

They looked at the medicals and re-examined the kid after the draft. If they say the elbow is good, then the elbow is good. Even so, they are not taking that for granted. They have clearly stated that he is going to start with a throwing program in Maryvale before going on. Unless one is a M.D. AND one has reviewed the medicals, then one has nothing more than conjecture to conclude future issues.

The same medical staff that went along with Thornburg not having surgery...

I'm aware a 2b won't throw as much or as hard as a pitcher, but a 2b will have many more opportunities to throw at awkward angles without proper form, which is just as dangerous as a pitching, if not more because they are not keeping their arms warm like pitchers do.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I am in favor of taking the most cautious approach in these situations. MRI's aren't perfect for reading how the injury is, actually doing an exploratory is a lot more sure fire way of ensuring it's healed properly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:54 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:

Nathan Kirby says hello.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 469 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test