LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 166 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Posted: June 13, 2017, 2:56 PM Post
Hairston is an interesting pick. I've seen a bunch of Louisville games this year and the TV commentators (for what it is worth) generally describe him as the best defensive SS in college Baseball, yet his scouting report suggests something different. I've been very impressed with him defensively from what I've seen, just wonder if he'll be able to hit well enough

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 3:05 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Hairston is a super-short middle infielder with a contact bat that may be a better fit at second base, Francis has good size and a good fastball but might by physically maxed out as a reliever at the next level while Rose may have the best changeup of any player eligible for this year's draft. It's a great signature pitch, similar to Chad Fox's slider in effectiveness (and overall use).

Here are the more detailed reports from PG on last 3 picks:

280. Devin Hairston, ss, Louisville (JR)
R-R, 5-7/162, Lexington, Ky.
Previously Drafted: Never Drafted

Hairston is a well-known name among scouts and evaluators, something that’s bound to happen when you’re the starting shortstop on one of the nation’s top collegiate teams, along with making a stint on the Collegiate National Team. He’s a quality athlete and defender, projecting to stay up the middle, thanks to his instincts and advanced overall actions. His approach at the plate is geared to a high contact rate while working the gaps, showing a short and quick stroke with a nice overall feel for the barrel. On the whole Hairston is a solid baseball player who has performed at a very high level each of the last two seasons and is a key piece that help makes the offense go.

307. Bowden Francis, rhp, Chipola (JC) (SO)
R-R, 6-5/230, Tallahassee, Fla.

An extremely physical righthander who is committed to hometown Florida State; Chipola's Bowden Francis did a great job of helping to lead Chipola to a National Championship this year. As a matter of fact, with ace Evan Steele missing a good part of the season, Francis led the team in innings pitched. Francis primarily works with a fastball in the mid-90's, touching as high as 97 mph this season; attacking hitters with the pitch early and often while doing a pretty solid job overall of throwing consistent strikes. He also mixes in a breaking ball that will show as a solid average offering at times; though it will need continued refinement.

256. Jayson Rose, rhp, Utah (JR)
R-R, 5-11/175, Alpine, Calif.

Rose isn't getting as much draft buzz as fellow Ute Riley Ottesen, but Rose is very good in his own right. The ace of the staff for two years now, Rose is a bit undersized and his slender frame causes some concerns in terms of potential durability over 200+ innings at the professional level; but Rose has been very durable at Utah, regardless. He threw 94 innings this season with a 3.35 ERA, striking out 82 hitters in those 94 frames and allowing a mere .241 batting average against. The calling card for Rose is undoubtedly his plus changeup, which he's comfortable throwing in any count vs. any hitter, and will double/triple up on the pitch as well. He has been up to 92-93 mph with his fastball but usually sits in the 87-91 mph range with solid control; and he does a good job of using a pair of fringe-average offerings in his slider and curveball to set up the fastball/changeup combo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 3:07 PM Post
Jayson Rose=Zach Davies...except a little heavier

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Jayson Rose=Zach Davies...except a little heavier

Jayson Rose=Trevor Hoffman

Hey a man can dream!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 3:11 PM Post
If we were going to draft an ACC/SEC SS I would have much preferred LSU's Kramer Robertson who went in the 4th Round to the Cardinals

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 3:57 PM Post
There's an underslot college senior in round 9. Not sure how much that would save though. Not much I'm guessing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 4:11 PM Post
cubsdie said:
There's an underslot college senior in round 9. Not sure how much that would save though. Not much I'm guessing.

approx. $100k

I think they gave their 9th round senior sign last year $25k. Can write down another for the 10th round too. That is basically what all teams start doing in the second half of the first 10 rounds. If you look there was a single high schooler drafted in the 9th round(8 since the start of the 6th round). It is all guys they can get for at slot or under slot.

It probably isn't a big deal regardless. I doubt it takes that much extra to bring in Lutz and as mentioned the Brewers already know what they need to bring him in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 4:20 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
cubsdie said:

approx. $100k

I think they gave their 9th round senior sign last year $25k. Can write down another for the 10th round too. That is basically what all teams start doing in the second half of the first 10 rounds. If you look there was a single high schooler drafted in the 9th round(8 since the start of the 6th round). It is all guys they can get for at slot or under slot.

It probably isn't a big deal regardless. I doubt it takes that much extra to bring in Lutz and as mentioned the Brewers already know what they need to bring him in.

Yeah I noticed that too about the 9th round. Pretty standard strategy as you said.

Our guy could hit in college though. So that's some upside I guess. Appears as though he was pretty good defensively too.

Edit: And another college senior in round 10 as predicted. All but one of the first 13 picks in round 10 were.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 4:35 PM Post
cubsdie said:
MrTPlush said:
cubsdie said:

approx. $100k

Yeah I noticed that too about the 9th round. Pretty standard strategy as you said.

Our guy could hit in college though. So that's some upside I guess. Appears as though he was pretty good defensively too.

Edit: And another college senior in round 10 as predicted. All but one of the first 13 picks in round 10 were.

Yeah senior signs aren't assured to be terrible. Usually not very high ceilings. Blake Allemand was one and he is doing pretty well at AA this year. Dustin DeMuth was also a senior sign that was a bat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 5:14 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
He isn't a senior, but seems like an attempt to save some pool money. If not I really don't like it. His defense isn't that good and his offensive game is extremely limitted. Why draft a utility player Top 10 rounds?

Defense isnt that good? What kind of weed are you smoking, ACC defensive player of the year brah

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 5:19 PM Post
Nader Raider Tim said:
Scooter Gennett replacement?

Could hit for a solid average? Check. Is not going to ever take a walk? Check. Has negative value defensively? Check. Is a tiny human? Check.

Looks like he fills all the needed requirements to be the next Scooter. Looks like we'll be seeing a 4 home run game out of this dude in the future.

You can't replace a Scooter Gennett with one person. You have to re-create him in the aggregate. It would take 3 guys minimum to do that. [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 5:25 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Alec Bettinger wasn't ranked among the PG Top 500, but here's the report on Dallas Carroll:

410. Dallas Carroll, 3b, Utah
R-R, 6-0/205, Taylorsville, Utah

One of the better contact hitters in college baseball, Carrol had a very good senior season for the Utes, leading the team in hitting at .369 with an overall slash of .369/.465/.591. He collected 17 doubles and 7 home runs; but what really stands out is that Carroll only struck out 19 times in just shy of 250 plate appearances. Carrol's best tool is that pure bat to ball skill; he's capable of manipulating the barrel and while he can get bat on nearly everything; he's not over-aggressive and is willing to take his walks. As a matter of fact, his approach is rather patient; a pretty good trait to have when coupled with his bat-to-ball skills and gap pop. He's a decent defender at third base and should be fine there long term, overall. He's also commended for his makeup and leadership skills.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 5:46 PM Post
miggs721 said:
MrTPlush said:
He isn't a senior, but seems like an attempt to save some pool money. If not I really don't like it. His defense isn't that good and his offensive game is extremely limitted. Why draft a utility player Top 10 rounds?

Defense isnt that good? What kind of weed are you smoking, ACC defensive player of the year brah

Ahh you are one of those guys that likes silly awards, right? He only had two errors, but his range isn't anything to write home about. From what I have read his arm is questionable still after surgery. He can play SS, but without the range he won't be that good over there. When I say "not that good" I am not saying it sucks. Just saying it isn't good for a guy who doesn't have much of a bat. His defense isn't good enough to carry his bat. If the guy doesn't walk, has zero power, and has below average speed he depends entirely on average. He sounds like a huge long shot to be a utility player and we drafted him in the 6th round. I don't really care because I fully expect that he was drafted to sign underslot.

Try to be a little more mature next time though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 6:37 PM Post
miggs721 said:

brah? anything that "frat-ish" is hard to accept as an argument

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 7:15 PM Post
Carroll sounds like Jeff Cirillo-type upside. Not bad.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 7:52 PM Post
Safe to assume that Tristan Beck told teams not to draft him because he's returning to Stanford?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 8:05 PM Post
LouisEly said:

My read as well. I think he will move up fast.

That said, I think Francis and Rose are the sleepers so far. If both are developed as starters, it would bolster the farm big-time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 8:10 PM Post
I think I like Day 2 better than Day 1. For High School pitchers I like Murphey over Lemons. As stated already on here, Lemons is a massive project who needs a lot of work on his mechanics. If Hiura does avoid surgery I like the pick, I definitely like the idea of drafting the top college hitter available, but we'll see. Lutz is an ok pick. Harrison can hit, but I'm surprised the Brewers view him as a catcher.

Rose and Bowden are good picks, Egnatuck is a reach. Some good and some bad overall.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 8:24 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Brewers select Hylton graduate Alec Bettinger in 10th round

During the ninth round of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft Tuesday, Alec Bettinger received a call from a Milwaukee Brewers scout.

The scout wanted the University of Virginia senior right-hander to know that if he was still available when the Brewers' turn came in the 10th round they were going to select him. Milwaukee kept its word and took Bettinger with the 294th pick, one spot ahead of the Philadelphia Phillies, who also considered taking him.

Gathered at his Woodbridge home with family and friends, Bettinger shared in multiple group hugs. Bettinger was particularly grateful to celebrate with his parents, who have been his biggest supporters during his baseball career.

For Bettinger, the moment became real when the Brewers called him. Seeing his name pop up on MLB's livestream of the draft was confirmation.

Bettinger said he expects to follow up with Milwaukee over the next few days to sign a contract and then see where he will be assigned this summer. Based on where he was selected, Bettinger is slotted to receive a signing bonus of $135,100.

Photo and more from that article at the link above...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 8:39 PM Post
LouisEly said:

That is really bullish for a guy just drafted in the 9th round as a senior sign. However I know nothing about him so I won't judge your evaluation too much.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next  [ 166 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test