Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: June 15, 2017, 12:20 AM Post
interesting the lack of 1b/3b types.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 6:54 AM Post
I applaud the approach of going after younger guys with upside. Even if you sign 2/3 of them, I'd rather have fewer upside guys than more pedestrian, maxed out guys.

We already have a ton of depth further along in the system. It's nice to have an influx of rookie ball teens as the next wave behind them. Maybe a couple of them end up being steals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 7:07 AM Post
Roberto Delgado has "Milwaukee Brewers Organization" on his twitter account. Looks like he has signed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 7:38 AM Post
Final 2017 Brewer Draft Depth Chart:

Pitching and up the middle of the field heavy, light on the corners. However several defensive question marks, so many will likely move to the corner outfield and first base spots as they move through the system. Still, pretty interesting that they didn't draft a single guy that's expected to start his pro career at first base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 8:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yes, Hitt is a pitcher, good thing he was drafted by a National League team [smile].

Unless its like calling a bald man, "Curly". But if he pitches like Sheets, he can hit like him too! [wink]

Trevor Koenig is a 2017 LHP/1B with a 6-10 185 lb. frame from St Cloud, MN who attends St Cloud Technical HS.

I wonder if he is a relative to Bronson?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 9:03 AM Post
Like how the Brewers are sticking to their trend of up the middle talent. A CF can always move to LF or RF, SS can always move to 2B or 3B(depending on body and the bat), and at least can have future as a utility or a super utility play. Even Lutz is a CF and athletic enough to play out there. His frame will outgrow it most likely and move him to RF but that is just another guy who can play all three. McCusker is only one who really cannot play CF.

Brent Diaz could be a really solid sleeper. One of the top catchers in the country and seems like a gritty hard worker.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 9:04 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
MrAllen - thank you for putting that together!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
Jim Callis: Top 5 Drafts list begins with Minnesota

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 10:35 AM Post
markedman5 said:
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/236553468/twins-used-no-1-pick-to-have-best-2017-draft/?topicid=151437456

Not to diminish what the twins and reds did but you really should be top 5 if you pick 1 or 2 and also have a supplemental pick. That is a lot of top end picks and the pool money to acquire them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2017, 3:50 PM Post
Rojas has signed per his twitter account

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2017, 8:33 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
File's dream reached, drafted by Brewers
By Beau Bearden, KDMinerSports (AZ)

Dylan File was selected by the Brewers in the 21st round of the MLB Draft. (Photo courtesy of Dixie State Athletics)

KINGMAN, AZ – Dylan File received a call during his draft party and before he knew it, the Kingman native was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers.

“We didn’t really know when it was going to happen,” File said of being drafted. “We kind of were thinking, ‘Oh, they called, so it will probably be the next round.’ It was almost instantly, I hung up and I was looking at my phone still and then it popped up on the TV. Everyone just kind of went crazy. It was pretty cool.”

The junior right-hander at Dixie State was selected with pick No. 624 of the 21st round by the Brewers.

“It’s so exciting,” File said. “It’s just crazy. It’s been a dream of mine ever since I can remember.”

File, who lived in Kingman until middle school, held a draft party with his family in Utah and has received a tremendous amount of support from both communities.

“I have so many close friends here in Kingman and so many close friends in St. George,” File said. “So honestly, it’s just kind of given me a bigger support system. That’s been really cool. I had all my friends in St. George call and congratulate me. All my family there. All my friends down here.”

The draft party wasn’t all excitement though, as File said a number of teams called to draft him. Unfortunately, those offers didn’t pan out.

“A bunch of teams were calling and offering and it just kept falling through,” he said. “I ended up going in the 21st round. So that was pretty stressful.”

The stress is over now, as File was in Kingman Thursday visiting friends and family. He won’t be in town for long though.

“I fly out Sunday over to Montana,” File said. “We’ll figure out all the details from there. We don’t really know what’s going to happen yet.”

While the future is unclear, one thing is for sure – File is the second-highest Dixie State player to be selected in the MLB Draft (Porter Clayton in the 19th round in 2015).

Last season, File was voted the 2017 Pacific West Conference Co-Pitcher of the Year after ranking in the conference’s top-five in wins (8-2), complete games (4), shutouts (2) and strikeouts (75 in 93 innings).

File’s success has him determined to etch his name in the history books at Dixie State and Desert Hills High.

“I’m the first person ever drafted out of Desert Hills High School, so I want to put that school on the map,” File said. “I want to put Dixie State on the map, I want to get Dixie a big program where everyone knows about it. I’m kind of using that as some motivation – trying to stay in the league for a while and make my way all the way up. Then maybe people will notice where I came from.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2017, 11:05 AM Post
I find some of these interviews fascinating. I wasn't aware some of these guys sit around fielding calls all day with offers to draft them or not. I guess that is why you don't see a lot of guys not signing. Not only do teams know what a player is looking for, but they literally agree to basic terms right before the selection is made.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2017, 12:19 PM Post

Global Moderator
VIDEO: Brewers 35th round Mississippi HS OF Davis Bradshaw & his .756 AVG decides today (Friday); sign or go to junior college

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 16, 2017, 2:15 PM Post

Global Moderator
Brief article: 40th round 6'11" LHP Trevor Koenig roughed up a bit in his high school playoffs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 18, 2017, 6:37 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I take this to mean that 26th round pick Carson McCusker is not going to sign.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 6:55 AM Post

Global Moderator
Bradshaw sticks with MCC after being drafted by the Brewers
By Elton Hayes, MeridianStar.com

PHOTOS at the LINK

Not long after Davis Bradshaw was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 35th round of the MLB Draft last week, the McLaurin High School alumnus received a phone call.

On the other end was Meridian Community College head coach Dillon Sudduth, who dropped a line to speak with his prized recruit who committed to the Eagles in the fall.

But Sudduth didn’t call to make his pitch as to why Bradshaw should come to Meridian over trying his hand in Milwaukee’s organization. Rather, Bradshaw said the Eagles skipper genuinely offered his support for whichever decision Bradshaw ultimately made.

“He told me that any decision I decide to make, he has my back every step of the way. It meant a lot to know that he wasn’t forcing me to come to Meridian,” Bradshaw said. “Maybe other coaches would have called and said you need to come to our school, we’ll make you better. But he was straightforward and told me my decision is my decision, and that he’s got me.”

Bradshaw soon reaffirmed his commitment to MCC, giving the Eagles a key piece to plug into an already-strong outfield.

Bradshaw, 19, starred as a shortstop at Florence’s McLaurin High School where his .756 batting average last year ranked third in the nation. His .797 on-base percentage was also good enough to rank No. 3 in the country. Sudduth said he and his coaching staff were able to get a glimpse of Bradshaw during last year’s State Games of Mississippi All-Star baseball tournament.

“We saw Davis last year at the State Games but we didn’t get to see a lot of him — he only had a few at-bats,” Sudduth said. “I give a lot of credit to my assistant coach, Justin Brewer, for following up on him and hunting him down and evaluating him correctly. We signed him in the fall, and he had a great senior year and put up unbelievable numbers.”

Interest between the two parties was mutual, as Bradshaw said he’s long been impressed with MCC’s baseball history and has always enjoyed visits to the school.

“They were really on my radar,” Bradshaw said. “I love the campus, and I definitely love the field. I talked to Coach Sudduth and Coach Brewer a good bit while I was at the State Games, and I just fell in love with the both of them.”

Sudduth said Bradshaw’s decision to attend MCC is a testament to the baseball program’s standing in Mississippi and its ability to equip its players for the next level.

“I think it shows that high school kids throughout the state believe in us,” Sudduth explained. “They believe in what we’re doing, and they believe in our program and the development phase of our program. Just getting drafted out of high school is a great honor, and it shows that (Davis) has a tremendous amount of talent. But it also shows that he believes in us and in our ability to continue to develop him, where he can earn more money down the road.”

Bradshaw will arrive on campus August 14 and said he’s excited to begin his career as a college athlete.

“I just want to come in and do like I’ve been doing every year, and that’s giving my team a chance to go as far as we can, and hopefully that’s going to the regionals and winning a championship for Meridian,” Bradshaw said. “I’m ecstatic to be an Eagle.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 4:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
So 32nd round pick Miller Hogan is pitching on the Cape apparently (Link). Can anyone remember cases of past draft signees pitching on the Cape prior to signing with an MLB team?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 6:55 PM Post

Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:
So 32nd round pick Miller Hogan is pitching on the Cape apparently (Link). Can anyone remember cases of past draft signees pitching on the Cape prior to signing with an MLB team?

Not pitchers, but catchers Charles Galiano (now retired) and Carolina's Max McDowell signed in late June and mid-July 2015, respectively, from their Cape Cod League teams.

By the way, sweet! RHP Miller Hogan (St. Louis University) is playing for Wareham, the closest Cape League team to my home (about 35 miles). I sense a visit and a convincing to sign coming his way!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 8:50 PM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:

PHOTOS at the LINK

Not long after Davis Bradshaw was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 35th round of the MLB Draft last week, the McLaurin High School alumnus received a phone call.

On the other end was Meridian Community College head coach Dillon Sudduth, who dropped a line to speak with his prized recruit who committed to the Eagles in the fall.

But Sudduth didn’t call to make his pitch as to why Bradshaw should come to Meridian over trying his hand in Milwaukee’s organization. Rather, Bradshaw said the Eagles skipper genuinely offered his support for whichever decision Bradshaw ultimately made.

“He told me that any decision I decide to make, he has my back every step of the way. It meant a lot to know that he wasn’t forcing me to come to Meridian,” Bradshaw said. “Maybe other coaches would have called and said you need to come to our school, we’ll make you better. But he was straightforward and told me my decision is my decision, and that he’s got me.”

Bradshaw soon reaffirmed his commitment to MCC, giving the Eagles a key piece to plug into an already-strong outfield.

Brewers Area Scout Scott Nichols --

"Kind of frustrating when a kid begs you to give him a chance and then changes his mind !!!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 8:58 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
Mass Haas said:

PHOTOS at the LINK

Brewers Area Scout Scott Nichols --

"Kind of frustrating when a kid begs you to give him a chance and then changes his mind !!!"

You would know better than I but is that sort of thing common. I would think a high schooler being confused/undecided would be common. Then again, for a scout to publicly call out that high schooler would seem to indicate either bad form by the scout or that this situation is not all that common.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test