Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Offline  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: June 21, 2017, 9:09 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
You would know better than I but is that sort of thing common. I would think a high schooler being confused/undecided would be common. Then again, for a scout to publicly call out that high schooler would seem to indicate either bad form by the scout or that this situation is not all that common.

I read that as it was pretty unusual on the player's/adviser's part. The word "beg" is strong, and even though it was the 35th round, that's a pick that could have been utilized elsewhere. I don't think the begging took place weeks ago, it probably was part of a very recent conversation, even during the draft. I know the Brewers have used late round picks on players that would be considered unsignable at that point, but that wasn't the case here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 9:22 PM Post
That was my take but thank you for confirming it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 9:28 PM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
By the way, sweet! RHP Miller Hogan (St. Louis University) is playing for Wareham, the closest Cape League team to my home (about 35 miles). I sense a visit and a convincing to sign coming his way!

Could be extremely tough. Hogan is a sophomore who was eligible to be picked because he’s 21 years old. Will be drafted next year without the stigma of being a senior sign with no leverage.

"Hogan was the ace of the Billikens’ staff in 2017, posting a 2.70 ERA with a 1.20 WHIP in 90 innings over 15 starts. A native of Overland Park, Kansas, Hogan was also solid during his freshman season at SLU, posting a 3.27 ERA with 59 strikeouts and 22 walks over 71 2/3 innings."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 04, 2017, 7:38 PM Post
Cam Robinson has signed per his twitter account

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 4:17 PM Post
Karlos Morales, LHP, South Hills HS (California)
Just tweeted
On my way to AZ and look who I run into !

Could be coincidence but looks like he may be signed and is heading to rookie ball?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2017, 9:02 AM Post
More confirmation on Morales
The Brewer Nation‏ @BrewerNation 5m5 minutes ago
Source: #Brewers 25th round pick, Karlos Morales, LHP out of South Hills HS in West Covina, California, signed his pro contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2017, 9:37 PM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
Several photos at the link below --

Tech star gets drafted by Brewers
Tom Elliott, Saint Cloud (MN) Times

LATEST: The 6'11" Koenig, 40th round pick, spurned a $100,000 (plus college costs) offer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2017, 12:51 PM Post
Final draft signings: Ward (12), Bullock (16), Castillo (17), Robinson (23), and Morales (25). Also passed-over RHP Kody Rock

Tweet from Brewers PD

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: August 02, 2017, 4:22 AM Post
Mass Haas said:
Mass Haas said:

LATEST: The 6'11" Koenig, 40th round pick, spurned a $100,000 (plus college costs) offer.

I gotta question the advice he received on this one. You are going to pay (D2 scholarships are only 50% I believe) to go to school, receive d2 coaching, facilities, and terrible spring weather and limited offseason training options. Versus being handed $100000, free tuition fallback, professional coaching, facilities, Arizona weather, etc. I realize MiLB baseball is a grind but this one seems pretty easy to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 2:48 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
Mass Haas said:
Mass Haas said:

I gotta question the advice he received on this one. You are going to pay (D2 scholarships are only 50% I believe) to go to school, receive d2 coaching, facilities, and terrible spring weather and limited offseason training options. Versus being handed $100000, free tuition fallback, professional coaching, facilities, Arizona weather, etc. I realize MiLB baseball is a grind but this one seems pretty easy to me.

I agree...on the flip side..and just to play devils advocate because I do agree with you, playing minor league baseball can be a pretty lonely experience(from everything you hear) and quite a grind while playing in college is a whole lot of fun. I would still take the 100K and see where I am in 3-4 years when I have plenty of time to go back to school rather than pass and hope I get drafted again. But hopefully it works out for the kid.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: August 30, 2017, 5:07 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:

I agree...on the flip side..and just to play devils advocate because I do agree with you, playing minor league baseball can be a pretty lonely experience(from everything you hear) and quite a grind while playing in college is a whole lot of fun. I would still take the 100K and see where I am in 3-4 years when I have plenty of time to go back to school rather than pass and hope I get drafted again. But hopefully it works out for the kid.

I can understand passing on pro ball for college as a 39 round pick. I guess I don’t fully understand passing on pro ball for the local d2 school in one of the coldest cities in the continental US. I am sure he has a great relationship with the coaches and I don’t understand the motivations of every 18 year old, but one seemed like the “no brainer” choice if his top goal is career as a pro baseball player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 1:49 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
OnTheBlack said:

I can understand passing on pro ball for college as a 39 round pick. I guess I don’t fully understand passing on pro ball for the local d2 school in one of the coldest cities in the continental US. I am sure he has a great relationship with the coaches and I don’t understand the motivations of every 18 year old, but one seemed like the “no brainer” choice if his top goal is career as a pro baseball player.

It certainly did...perhaps he's just got that much confidence in himself developing further. I also have virtually no knowledge of the program he's going to, but his stuff is gonna have to be impressive to earn substantially more in 3 years when there will inevitably be questions about competition level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2017, 3:00 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
Mass Haas said:
Mass Haas said:

$100,000 signing bonus that gets immediately taxed at 34.5% knocks that down to $65,500 right off the bat. Add in a 3-4% agent fee and you're down another $3,000-$4,000. Add in rent, groceries and utilities and that knocks it down even further.

The less than minimum wage you're making in the minors isn't going to make up for it so now you have to find a job in the offseason but that's probably difficult because who's hiring for only mid September to mid February? And if an employer is willing to let you work for only those 5 months, you're not making more than minimum wage there.

Now multiply that by the number of years it takes to get to the majors. There's a very real chance he's in debt by the time he makes it to the majors if he even makes it at all. Now obviously he's going to be in debt in college too but it's not as simple as here's $100K, put that in the bank until you make the majors.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test