LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Online  Re: The 2018 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:52 PM Post
Swaggerty does seem like a surprise. I will believe it when I see it.

Larnach could be our first baseman of the future. Seems like a legit hitter. Like Hiura, I think he will produce.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:58 PM Post
Turang is interesting, as he had been projected at the top at one time. A number of sources have claimed there is a concern about his frame, with the thought that he’s narrowly built and may have trouble getting stronger.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: The 2018 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:10 PM Post
I find it generally interesting how little consensus there is in the top talents this year. No Harper, no Correa, no Strasburg...no unanimous top pick. I feel like there are at least 20 guys that people think could all go top 10. I really hope the Brewers go with some sort of arm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Austin Tatious said:
Turang is interesting, as he had been projected at the top at one time. A number of sources have claimed there is a concern about his frame, with the thought that he’s narrowly built and may have trouble getting stronger.

Yeah, I think that is the biggest concern/knock on Turang. Hopefully he would be able to add some weight/muscle similar to what Gavin Lux was able to do with a somewhat similar frame (Lux added the weight while still in HS though).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:39 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
https://2080baseball.com/2018/06/2018-m ... aft-final/

2080 Baseball has the Brewers taking Jordyn Adams.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 4:07 PM Post
I've seen Turang described as "Christian Yelich at Shortstop". I'd take that!

I think there's a chance a few of the the top high school pitchers fall to Milwaukee. I'd love to see them take a high risk/high reward RHP like Rocker & Hankins. Pay them above slot and roll the dice.

As far as a lack of consensus on top talent, I'm surprised Nick Madrigal isn't considered that guy this year. He looks like a HOF talent to me.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 4:08 PM Post
Baseball really should allow teams to trade picks. Would make this much more exciting

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 4:42 PM Post
Last post before the draft, Seth Beer is still my pick! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 4:49 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I'll go with Noah Naylor.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:00 PM Post
I am rooting for Shane McClanahan. Seems like a Hader or Sale type. Love LHP who can hit almost 100 MPH. The pessimist in me thinks this guy gets drafted by the Cardinals right before us and we spend the next 15 years getting dominated by him.

Please be wrong [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:00 PM Post
Come on toolsy outfielder! Come on toolsy outfielder!

In all seriousness the Brewers NEVER pick who I want them too but I’d really like to add another high upside starting pitcher.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
narwhalattack said:
And That said:
If it's the same as last year, 4 minutes between picks in the first round and then 1 minute for rounds 2-10.

The last BA mock draft has the Brewers taking Swaggerty.

Swaggerty? That’s a surprise. I think most mocks up to this point had him getting picked in the top 15, if not top 10.

If Swaggerty lasts until #21 there are some teams doing this thing wrong.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Okay, we are going to continue the live draft discussion at our 2018 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5 thread. Please proceed to that link to discuss the draft tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:07 PM Post
Using And That's list from page 6, my personal favorites for the Brewers picks would be:

21 - RHP-Ethan Hankins
60 - LHP-Konnor Pilkington
73 - RHP-Aaron Hernandez
125 - OF-Jake Mangum
155 - C-Jacob Campbell

Stearns has done a nice job putting together a pitching staff that IMO looks better than the everyday lineup. But after watching bad Brewer pitching staffs for so long, I'm nearly always in favor of using the first pick on the guy that I think has the highest upside as a starter. It could be argued that Hankins isn't that guy but he's emerged as my favorite from the "available at #21" pitchers. Picks 60 and 73 turned out to be pitchers just because those are the players I liked the most at those picks, really didn't have any desire to take pitchers with each of the first three picks but that's just the way it turned out. I think Mangum is under-rated, the knocks on him are legitimate but this guy has had some injury problems and if those get sorted out I think he has very good top-of-the-lineup potential with plus ability as a defensive player. In all honesty, my studying doesn't go much further down the list so I'm hoping the Brewers take a chance on the Wisconsin player at #155. I've heard some good things about him from the locals so why not? Also would like to say the two Mississippi State players is just coincidence, although I have seen a few Mississippi State games on TV over the last couple years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:09 PM Post
I'll go with Logan Gilbert.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:38 PM Post
LouisEly said:
I don't have a clue what they'll do in the first round, but I hope it's Noah Naylor. Athletic LH power at C or 3B doesn't grow on trees. I'm reading that Larnach has a lack of speed, like Beer, and an average arm - thus some are projecting him to LF. If that's the case, might as well draft Beer. No one else really stands out, so if not Naylor I hope they have a deal with someone that can come in at least $600K or more under slot.

Some other guys I like (based on the little I know about them)

#60 - Lyon Richardson, RHP, HS (relatively new to pitching, has low mileage on arm); Gunnar Hoglund, RHP, HS Nander de Sedas, SS, HS; Aaron Hernandez, RHP, TA&M-CC

#73 - Jonathan Stiever, RHP, Indiana; Braydon Fisher, RHP, HS; Kyle Bradish, RHP, New Mexico St.

#125 - Richard Palacios, SS, Towson; Ford Proctor, SS, Rice; Andrew Moritz, OF, UNC-Greensboro

#155 - Austin Cox, LHP, Mercer; Ryan Feltner, RHP, Ohio State; Hugh Smith, RHP, Whitworth

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this draft has much for guys who can stick at SS, at least where the Brewers are picking.

What I've read about Tourang is "high floor/low ceiling". Not sure I want that from the #21 overall pick.

And That's last composite had Nander de Sedas in the high 30's, but now it's at 57, so I'll add him in to my 2nd round mix. I like him, but thought he would go between #21 and #60.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
splitterpfj said:
I'm looking for the obvious college bat, middle of the field player for the Brewers, and I can't find him.

This, of course, is because I have no idea who will be available for them when they pick, but that's the profile that seems to match their philosophy. I'll break a little bit - hitter, middle of the field, but a high schooler ....

Milwaukee selects Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS, CA

BINGO!

I had no information on this, I just tried to profile the player type, and in the range the Brewers were picking in, Turang fit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 8:18 PM Post
Useless fact: Turang's dad, Brian, was originally drafted by the Brewers in 1987. He did not sign. Ended up drafted and signed with Mariners in '89. Played two seasons for them.

Let's hope the son doesn't follow his Dad's career path.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... br01.shtml

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 9:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
splitterpfj said:
splitterpfj said:
I'm looking for the obvious college bat, middle of the field player for the Brewers, and I can't find him.

This, of course, is because I have no idea who will be available for them when they pick, but that's the profile that seems to match their philosophy. I'll break a little bit - hitter, middle of the field, but a high schooler ....

Milwaukee selects Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS, CA

BINGO!

I had no information on this, I just tried to profile the player type, and in the range the Brewers were picking in, Turang fit.

Well done!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 06, 2018, 1:33 PM Post
I was hoping with all the knowledge of drafted players on this thread someone could help me with a discussion I'm currently having with my fellow fantasy league colleagues. I'm trying to find a list of players that have played in the majors the same year they were drafted. Not just "straight to majors" guys, but also guys that have been drafted, played a month or two in the minors and then were called up before the end of the season. Example: Brandon Finnegan with the 2014 Royals. I'm really only interested in the last 10 to 15 years. When I try to Google this, I keep getting just "straight to majors" lists.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test