LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 13 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Offline  The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: June 16, 2017, 9:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
It's never too early to start thinking about the 2018 MLB Draft, so I am starting up the official discussion thread. I will also take this opportunity to point out that as of today (June 16th) the Brewers are slotted into the 22nd draft position and the St. Louis Cardinals are knocking on the door of drafting inside the top ten.

As far as 2018, it looks like there are a number of highly touted prep prospects that are candidates to flood the upper half of the first round including a Wisconsin high school senior to be that is in the running to be a top five selection. Below is a list of some of the current top college and high school prospects, a couple of way too early mock drafts, and a list of where to catch some of the top 2018 talent this summer. Let the 2018 MLB Draft speculation begin!

Top High School Prospects
Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA)
Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (GA)
Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha West HS (WI)
Joe Gray Jr., OF, Hattiesburg HS (MS)
Triston Casas, 3B, American Heritage HS (FL)
Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (GA)
Kendall Simmons, SS, Tattnall Square Academy (GA)
Will Banfield, C, Brookwood HS (GA)
Luke Bartnicki, LHP, Walton HS (GA)
Nolan Gorman, SS, Sandra Day O`Connor HS (AZ)
Austin Becker, RHP, Big Walnut HS (OH)
Elijah Cabell, OF, TNXL Academy (FL)

Top College Prospects
Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
Seth Beer, OF, Clemson
Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
Konnor Pilkington, LHP, Mississippi State
Cal Raleigh, C, Florida State
Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State
Luken Baker, 1B, TCU
Colton Eastman, RHP, Cal State Fullerton
Chandler Day, RHP, Vanderbilt
Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
Tristan Beck, RHP, Stanford

Early Mock Drafts
MLB.com: Early 2018 mock: Another SoCal SS at No. 1?
Bleacher Report: 2018 MLB Mock Draft: Early Predictions for Top 1st-Round Baseball Prospects

Prospect Appearances/Events
Under Armour All-America Game: Saturday, July 29 (Chicago, IL)
Perfect Game All-American Classic: Sunday, August 13 (San Diego, CA) - Televised on MLB Network
Perfect Game National Showcase: June 16-21 (Fort Myers, FL)
Area Code Games: August 6-10 (Long Beach, CA)
USA Baseball Collegiate National Team: June 22 - July 17 (Cary, NC and various other locations)
USA Baseball 18U National Team: June 27 - Sept. 5 (Cary, NC and various other locations)

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: June 16, 2017, 9:54 PM Post
Wow a Top 5 potential prep bat from Wisconsin? Don't see that everyday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2017, 1:06 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Jarred Kelenic is an incredible player. I actually think he could be in play for the No. 1 overall pick next year. I saw him last February, when he was a high school sophomore, and he took one of the best, if not the best, batting practices I have ever seen (please keep in mind that I have seen a lot of batting practices), and he was a high school sophomore at the time. After that he tried to talk his coach into letting him get another round as he was disappointed with the results, which is crazy. He's incredibly hard working and he is a true 5-tool player, with very good time speed and a strong outfield arm.

However, the Brewers won't have a chance to take him, unless one of them tanks significantly and I would prefer that neither happens.

If you're interested we've had a top 100 list up for 2018 since last November and we will be updating it another month or so once we've had a chance to see the top high school players again at several of our top events.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi ... icle=13360

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2017, 2:35 PM Post
Kumar Rocker threw 98 at the PG National in the last few days. Provided he stays healthy I would think he'd have a shot at a Top 5 spot. I've heard again & again that this is one of the strongest draft classes in a long long time

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2017, 9:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
I've heard again & again that this is one of the strongest draft classes in a long long time

What are we doing in first place??? Tank! Tank! Tank!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:02 AM Post
Does Kelenic play for Waukesha West High School or does he play for a summer travel team (Hitters, Stixs, etc.)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2017, 9:57 AM Post
lynchp said:
Does Kelenic play for Waukesha West High School or does he play for a summer travel team (Hitters, Stixs, etc.)?

He plays for Hitters. He doesn't play for Waukesha West as they have a summer Baseball program. He has played for Chicago Scouts in Fall Ball in the past.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2017, 10:23 AM Post
Colby, curious your view on Max Alba RHP from Franklin HS. That's my alma mater and I saw he just committed to pitch for UNC.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 20, 2017, 4:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
The USA Baseball Collegiate National Team just completed their schedule this week. Although likely just a coincidence the Brewers have drafted the player the past two years who led the USA Baseball college team in OPS (Corey Ray and Keston Hiura). These are small sample sizes since the team only plays around 20 games each summer. This year's leader was Arkansas C/OF Grant Koch with a 1.035 OPS. Koch was limited to just 43 at bats however, among players with 60+ at bats the leader was Oklahoma outfielder (and former Wisconsin Woodchucks player) Steele Walker with a .931 OPS. Another notable USA Baseball CNT player was Clemson's Seth Beer who finished with a .672 OPS.

Complete 2017 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Stats

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 6:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
Last week Baseball America released a 2018 MLB Draft Watch List which includes a current top ten for both the College and High School prospects that are draft eligible next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 29, 2017, 4:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Reminder that the Under Armour High School All-American Game is tonight at 7:00pm CT. It is available live on MLB.com and tape delayed next week on MLB Network. All of the details are available at this LINK.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 8:15 PM Post
Perfect Game All-American Classic live from San Diego this coming Sunday Night at 7pm on MLB Network

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2017, 9:33 PM Post
Nolan Gorman has a truly elite swing. Really impressed in the Perfect Game All-American Classic

https://www.perfectgame.org/Pl...ofile.aspx?ID=378823

Quote   Reply 
 [ 13 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test