LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Nippon Ham Fighters - Shohei Ohtani to MLB

Offline  Nippon Ham Fighters - Shohei Ohtani to MLB

Posted: September 13, 2017, 3:43 PM Post
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/253993996 ... d=27118122

Not sure I fully expect the Brewers to be truly involved in Asian talent, but here's hoping. Guy can apparently pitch and pinch hit on his days off? Probably best suited for the AL and DH if somebody would even let him play both ways. Dodgers, Braves, Cubs, White Sox, Reds, Astros, Royals, Athletics, Cardinals, Padres, Giants and Nationals don't have enough money I guess to get him. So that leaves the Yankees, Mets, and Angels?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Nippon Ham Fighters - Shohei Ohtani to MLB

Posted: September 14, 2017, 5:05 AM Post
At least the Brewers now have a full time Asian scout! Really its hard to see anything Milwaukee can offer that another market can’t. And there is plenty Milwaukee cannot offer (large Asian population base, maximum marketing and branding opportunities, etc.). I believe the bonuses paid out to Carlos Rodriguez and Larry Ernesto mean the Brewers aren’t even considering a serious run. But nothing should be off the table; including playing games in Japan, having large endorsement deals prepared with local companies, and even local government official involvement.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Nippon Ham Fighters - Shohei Ohtani to MLB

Posted: September 16, 2017, 8:08 AM Post
Here is how I see it shaking out.

Otani signs with the Yankees for something like a 1 to 1.5 million dollar bonus.

As the result of a secret, under-the-table deal, Otani magically gets a 8 year, 256 million dollar extension after his first year of major league service.

MLB acknowledges that there is no real way they can enforce the spirit of international signing limits, and an international draft is instituted within the next 3 or 4 years.

------------------------------------------

I also don't think there is any chance that Otani sees regular MLB at-bats if he proves to be a legitimate #1 or #2 starter. Risk getting hit in the hand by a pitch and sliding into bases? See Jimmy Nelson and Chase Anderson. A team can give him any line of crap in order to get him signed, but when he gets out to the mound if he's hitting 100+ MPH 40 times in one start (which he has apparently done in Japan) and is getting MLB hitters out, his days of getting semi-regular at-bats on non-pitching days will soon become a thing of the past. Now if the guy proves to be a #4/#5 type back-end starter, then I could see him getting regular at-bats/pinch-hitting opportunities provided the guy can legitimately hit (say an OPS of .750+).

Quote   Reply 
 [ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test