LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Player updates

Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 03, 2003, 8:24 AM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
I'll start this thread to keep up with player updates for the spring season.

Adam Loewen reportedly pitched 4 innings while on a 60-pitch limit at Chipola. No word yet as to his full line, but an observer thought that Loewen''s command on the mound was comparable to Mark Prior's. Also noted that his stuff was just as good if not better than Scott Kazmir's.

Sleeth's performance was already listed. He beat the Golden Gophers last Friday & is now 3-0 on the season.

Also 3-0 is Georgia Tech's big lefty ace, Kyle Bakker.

PTH's favorite college ace, Paul Maholm, won over the weekend to even his record to 1-1 with a strong 6 inning performance (8 K, 1 BB, 5 H, 0 R).

Brad Sullivan got back on track with a strong performance. While his 1-3 record still isn't very friendly, his peripheral numbers are: 5 starts, 2.96 ERA, 27.1 IP, 19 H, 31 K, 7 BB.

Somewhat of a sleeper is William & Mary RHP Chris Ray. Ray has been W&M's closer the past couple of years, and really made an impression in the Cape Cod League last summer. He reportedly has hit 100mph so far this year, possibly topping that figure. So far he is 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA in 22 IP. In that time he has allowed only 12 hits & 2 walks while striking out 24. Not sure if he has the secondary pitches to remain as a starter at the pro level, but so far, so good.

Onto the guys that go away...

Steven White had another strong performance for Baylor over the weekend pitching 7 scoreless innings giving up 5 hits, 2 walks while striking out 8.

Steven Kahn picked up his first victory yesterday. He has appeared in 5 ballgames so far at Loyola Marymount, all in relief. His ERA right now is 6.00 in only 6 innings of work.

Brian Hernandez is hitting .171/.256/.200 in 35 ABs at Duke, seeing his fair share of time behind the plate.

Jarrad Page has yet to make an appearance for UCLA.

'01 draftee Ray Liotta has not made an appearance for Tulane. I'm assuming he's injured.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 04, 2003, 10:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
William & Mary will be here in athens tommorrow and im gonna try and check them out...hopefully it will be interesting because the dawgs suck this year...and our basketball team is about to get probation..and our entire football team filed for the draft...sheesh

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 04, 2003, 4:52 PM Post

Global Moderator
I'm assuming Chris Ray is William & Mary's Friday starter, but who knows. Even if he's not starting tomorrow he could show up in relief. He actually was a topic of discussion from some questions I had answered today during BA's college chat:

Is Jeff Larish the #1 player-story so far this season? His numbers seem Pete Incaviglia-esque. Who are some of the other players that have scouts talking the most with their performances so far this season?

John Manuel:
I'd say Larish is one of the best stories, as he has just mashed the ball with 50+ RBIs already, averaging 2 per game. That's especially amazing considering that he's drawn more than 30 walks. Another guy who merits mention is William & Mary's Chris Ray, who first announced himself last summer on the Cape. He's pitching well as a starter so far this year, throwing in some 96s while pitching consistently in the 90-95 range.

And a follow up:

Does Chris Ray have the secondary pitches to remain a starter at the pro level?

John Manuel:
We're all waiting to find out, but he throws next on Thursday at E. Tennessee State. So far, the answer has been yes at the college level, as he's off to a 2-0 start with 24 whiffs and 2 BB in 22 IP.

Ray was popular among scouting publications today, being the focal point of TeamOneBaseball's Eastern draft report. Here are some interesting excerpts:

Now, Ray is considered a potential top 10-15 overall pick for the June Draft. The college junior is throwing 95-98 MPH this Spring for William and Mary, with plus command and three quality pitches. It?s safe to say, Ray is one of the nation?s fastest rising draft prospects...

?This Spring Chris has shown that he is not just a hard thrower,? said head coach Jim Farr, who has developed several first-round pitchers and eventual Big Leaguers during his successful college coaching career. ?He has shown some real pitchability and has moved his pitches up and down, in and out, whatever we ask of him. He has the potential for three above-average Major League pitches.?

Ray?s fastball broke two aluminum bats in his last start on Saturday. He has impressed scouts by maintaining his velocity late in the game, especially for a pitcher who spent most of his time in the bullpen for his first two college seasons.

Ray?s other two pitches are a slurve and splitter. His slurve has more of a slider action and has helped him neutralize right-handed hitters more. Ray?s command on this pitch has been off-the-charts. In Saturday?s outing against New York Tech, he threw this pitch 27 times ? 24 for strikes.

During that outing, Ray threw 98 total pitches, including 74 for strikes. He got ahead of hitters, going 0-1 on 27 of 29 batters for the game. He ended up with 11 strikeouts, no walks, and retired 17 batters in a row at one point.

Tells you what kind of stuff he has when he break 2 aluminum bats. I'm sure we're going to be hearing A LOT more about Chris Ray as the spring progresses. If scouts are confident he has the stuff to remain a starter, Ray could easily go within the top 10 picks in this June's draft. Is he good enough to be considered with the #2 pick? Time will tell. Keep in mind that Ray isn't coming out of nowhere after turning a lot of heads in the Cape League last summer, and could make a jump similar to Bryan Bullington last year.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 04, 2003, 6:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
well, he sounds like quite a sight to see...sucks that he most likely wont throw tommorrow!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 05, 2003, 7:33 AM Post
If you have not already noticed or heard, Andrew Miller is really sky-rocketing up lists. Teams with early picks are really looking at him and he's delivering. He may end up being real expensive but here's a prospect on the rise.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 05, 2003, 8:17 AM Post

Global Moderator
He may end up being real expensive but here's a prospect on the rise.

Speaking of players being expensive to sign, and I don't know how comfortable you feel commenting on this issue OhioScout, but have any marquee players selected Scott Boras as their advisor? Last year a big deal was made of this a lot earlier than this point in time when it was known that Bobby Brownlie, Jason Neighborgall, Mark McCormick, Mike Pelfrey, Jeff Baker and a few others were all being advised by Boras. To no surprise, most to all of these guys fell much further than they would/should have, and all of the HS players listed attended college in the process. Did this have an affect at all on players either selecting Boras as their advisor and/or announcing that he was indeed going to be advising them? We haven't heard too much about certain players possibly pricing them out of everyone's range, and I'm curious if there are any rumblings of this in the scouting world. While you noted that Andrew Miller might take a lot to sign, is this just because he's pitching himself into a really high pick?

Thanks in advance.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 06, 2003, 3:51 AM Post

Global Moderator
Adam Loewen did pitch 4 innings over the weekend in impressive fashion. Reports say he was throwing in the 94-95 range, and his box score notes that he allowed only 1 hit in his 4 innings, didn't walk a batter & struck out 6.

And if pogo was at the Georgia game last night, he didn't see William & Mary pitcher Chris Ray, but he did see his Bulldogs win :) .

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 06, 2003, 3:56 PM Post
Andrew Miller could definitely be a top 5 pick. With his arm strength, slider, arm action and stature, he fits the description for sure.

Miller is a very intelligent kid. He's signed to go to the best public university in the country that happens to be in the best baseball conference in the NCAA. He's got a lot of leverage. You could compare his situation to that of Jeremy Sowers' of two years ago but Miller is a pitcher with more going for him from a scouting perspective.

Yes, Boras' clients do fall in the draft. Some teams stop looking at players that he's advising. They still end up getting good contracts if they are good prospects. Guthrie and Brownlie got nice contracts, especially Guthrie. Then you look at Jeff Baker and he fell to the 4th round, that was not just because Boras was his advisor. There were some high price tags with Baker but the truth is that a lot of scouts were not sold on Baker as a hitter. His approach at the plate is questionable and scouts had been thinking twice about his ability to hit with wood for a long time before the draft.

You're not going to be hearing about certain players pricing themselves out teams' budgets for at least another month. It's often a frustrating process. Some advisors often try and push certain organizations to draft their players. Because of that you'll sometimes get varying opinions on someone's signability, depending upon whom you speak to.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 06, 2003, 4:34 PM Post
I'm sorry OhioScout but there was an inaccuracy I couldn't let stand the best public college in the nation no longer has baseball so clearly Miller isn't going there. Perhaps he's going to one of those other high quality yet obviously inferior institutions in California :D

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 06, 2003, 5:04 PM Post

Global Moderator
I believe OhioScout was referring to the nation's 2nd best public university in North Carolina. Good catch igor :) .

They still end up getting good contracts if they are good prospects.

What about Jason Neighborgall? He clearly priced himself out of the draft completely. Was he that hell-bent to go to Georgia Tech? I find that hard to believe. I can see Jeremy Sowers, but his intentions were pretty clear the entire spring of 2001.

Some advisors often try and push certain organizations to draft their players.

How often does this happen? I remember reading that this is a big reason, or THE reason Ryan Anderson fell to the Mariners in the '97 draft (I think it was '97). From what I remember, he and/or his advisor told teams not to take him and he slid to the Mariners somewhere in the second half of the first round. Does, or better yet, can MLB do anything to try & prevent this from happening? Some of these tactics advisors use seem to border on tampering (probably more like reverse tampering).

And finally, the $1 million dollar question: How interested are the Brewers in Andrew Miller if he has placed himself that high? Is #2 TOO high for Miller with guys like Young, Milledge, Sleeth, Weeks & Loewen (possibly) being available?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 07, 2003, 4:21 AM Post
That is the big question, and quite frankly, I'd rather take Loewen or Young over Miller as things stand.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 07, 2003, 2:43 PM Post
Maholm pitched against Lipscomb University today, the Bulldogs won, he has 23 K's to 4 BB's on the season now.

IP H R ER BB SO
Paul Maholm ........ 7.0 3 1 1 2 9

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 07, 2003, 3:43 PM Post

Global Moderator
Maholm is off to a nice start. Will be nice to see how he fares against the tough SEC. He could really jump up the charts with strong in-conference performances.

It's tough to gauge some of these guys early in the season. Kyle Sleeth tossed a complete game today giving up 2 runs. I don't have the details on his line, but it was against LeMoyne. I don't know if I've even heard of LeMoyne or Lipscomb before today.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 07, 2003, 6:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
lipscomb is d3 or naia (or whatever independent)....its a small christian school in nashville tennessee...for reference, i almost went there to play ball

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 08, 2003, 12:26 PM Post

Global Moderator
Adam Loewen pitched earlier today. He went 4.2 innings (I'm assuming he's still on the limited pitch count I think around 60), didn't allow a hit, struck out 8 & walked 1 batter. It sounds as though Loewen is absolutely dealing. If he gets that pitch count up, he's going to put up some impressive numbers by the end of the year.

He also added a little with his bat today going 2-4 with a double, a run, an RBI & a SB.

Rickie Weeks' stats have been updated, and through 3/5 he is hitting .500/.554/1.043. In 46 ABs he has 5 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 24 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K & is 9 for 9 in stolen bases. He has 3 errors at 2B for a .944 fielding %.

TeamOneBaseball offered some scouting video of Weeks this past week for their subscribers & he looks a lot bigger than he did last year. He is known to be an extremely hard worker & hits the gym all of the time, and that work is most certainly starting to show for the young man.

We can't lose at #2.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 08, 2003, 12:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
We can't lose at #2.

Wanna bet we find a way? Image

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 08, 2003, 8:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
we cant lose at #2 eh???? you could sign Jesus and it wouldnt matter if you didnt sign him!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 09, 2003, 9:58 AM Post
I've got to agree with Kat, just watch us screw up the # 2 pick. There's a reason that we've been so bad for so long, I'll chuck it up to bad mojo. And as we all know there is no known cure for bad mojo. Or perhaps I misread Colby's meaning, maybe it was sarcasm-- whatever that may be.:D

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 09, 2003, 12:48 PM Post

Global Moderator
I think you guys are taking my comment a little too seriously. I didn't mean to imply that the Brewers can't possibly screw this up. All I'm saying that the talent at the #2 selection will be legitimate, and we shouldn't have to settle for anyone regardless of who the D-Rays take #1.

The Brewers blunder factor always exists :) .

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: March 09, 2003, 3:23 PM Post
Lets not be tough on Jack Z just because all the screw ups that were made by someone else during the Bando era.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test