LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Player updates

Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 18, 2003, 1:48 AM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Loewen pitched 1.2 innings in relief on Tuesday night, allowing only 1 hit while striking out 4.

I'm guessing Chipola is trying to get him back on the weekend schedule with only 6 games remaining (regular season ends a week from Sunday). I'm further guessing he'll see 2 more starts, one each weekend, and possibly one more relief appearance in the middle of next week to get him as many innings as possible.

Whomever signs Loewen (if anyone does), should get a relatively fresh arm, as he has only tossed 44.1 innings so far this year. Of course, at 29-10-1, Chipola probably is looking at some time in the playoffs. Even so, he won't approach 100 IP, and probably will be somewhere in the 70-80 range.

His line on the year:

44.1 IP, 15 H, 6 ER, 14 BB, 53 K, 1.22 ERA

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 18, 2003, 1:59 AM Post
I would like to note that I was the 2000th viewer of this thread. I think that gives me good enough stats to be drafted in the 13th round, if not higher.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 21, 2003, 2:15 AM Post

Global Moderator
As guessed, Loewen was on the mound again on Friday night:

8 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 6 BB, 13 K

He is now 5-0, but those walks really are adding up. His line on the year:

52.1 IP, 19 H, 9 ER, 20 BB, 66 K, 1.55 ERA

And Rickie Weeks updated line:

.519/.629/1.008, 129 AB, 13 2B, 7 3B, 12 HR, 36 BB, 13 K, 18 for 18 in SB.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 22, 2003, 2:32 AM Post

Global Moderator
More updates:

Tim Stauffer won again on Friday, big surprise since he was facing perennial powerhouse LaSalle. His line was pretty impressive despite the competition:

7 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 10 K, 0 ER, CG shutout

On the year:

1.64 ERA, 9 games, all starts, 7 CG, 66 IP, 50 H, 97 K, 7 BB, .208 batting average against

Brad Sullivan also won Friday, against another national powerhouse in St. Louis. Of course I'm kidding again, but again another impressive line:

8 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 16 K, 2 BB

On the year:

2.10 ERA, 13 games, 12 starts, 1 CG, 81.1 IP, 54 H, 104 K, 24 BB, .190 BAA

Sullivan's numbers might be even more impressive in that he probably faces tougher competition than both Stauffer & Sleeth. Opponents on the year include Baylor, Tulane, Rice, Texas A&M & LSU.

Sleeth's line on the year:

2.88, 10 games, all starts, 2 CG, 75 IP, 58 H, 86 K, 18 BB, .213 BAA

And one more name, Michael Aubrey, who keeps on hitting:

.452/.522/.720, 13 2B, 1 3B, 9 HR, 17 BB & 9 K in 157 ABs

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 26, 2003, 1:55 PM Post

Global Moderator
Loewen started on Wednesday evening, winning the game finishing the regular season at 6-0. Chipola's remaining games this weekend have been cancelled, and they start the state playoffs next weekend. His line on Wednesday:

6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 5 K, 2 BB

His line for the year:

58.1 IP, 24 H, 12 ER, 22 BB, 71 K, 1.85 ERA

Loewen started to give up more runs & walks as he warmed up & the season wore on. His control & command is supposed to be much better than what his numbers reflect. It could be a matter of getting him onto a pro team with a pitching coach to set him straight. Still, he's really limited the amount of base hits against him while striking out a lot of batters.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 28, 2003, 1:04 AM Post

Global Moderator
Sleeth Friday: 8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 4 BB

Sullivan Saturday: 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 12 K, 2 BB

Stauffer Saturday: 7 IP (8th CG), 5 H, 1 R, lost in a 1-0 ballgame

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 28, 2003, 8:40 AM Post
You should start giving reports on Cornell. I have not seen him yet but we have regional guys writing glowing reports on him. They haven't seen 95 MPH look any easier since Mark Prior. Creating a major buzz.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 28, 2003, 10:37 AM Post

Global Moderator
I was thinking about adding Cornell, but I guess I just didn't think he would go that high. A poster from T1 that has been kind enough to share information with me made me aware of Cornell about a month ago now, and he's quickly turned into the talk of the scouting world. I'd love to get your opinion of him when & if you get the chance to see him.

And everyone seems to say the same thing: He consistently throws in the 92-94 range seemingly without effort. There are reports of him sitting at 94-95 for an entire game, which is pretty amazing. I've heard that his breaking ball can be dominant when it's working, but he's not consistent with it nor his changeup. All 3 can be above average pitches when he's got everything working for him.

However, his stats playing in the MAC aren't that impressive. Here's his line on the year:

3.86 ERA, 10 games, all starts, 3 CG, 56 IP, 48 H, 66 K, 22 BB, .234 BAA

Good numbers, but not exactly dominant. He's not missing enough bats, and he's allowing quite a few baserunners for a pitcher in the MAC that now is being considered for a top pick. I just noticed yesterday that the D-Rays are following Cornell quite intently, so you know the Brewers are as well. Of course, there is always a story past the stats, but I would like to see a pretty good explanation as to why he's not posting better numbers.

Plus, he does have past elbow problems, and his mechanics have been known to get our of whack. I'm sure he'll get attention from anyone as long as he's compared to Mark Prior, no matter how loosely, but has he really elevated himself above more proven commodities like Sleeth, Sullivan & Stauffer?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 28, 2003, 1:03 PM Post
colbyjack, you bring up valid points/arguments.

Cornell has a lot of upside. You're going to get concerns about his health. Marc Cornell's pure stuff may be the best in the nation, he has the stuff to dominate. Has he dominated? No. But those that like his upside will take him if he continues to throw well in his last few starts.

This is the thing, some scouts thought/think that college pitching is down this year. With Sullivan and Stauffer you have undersized right-handers. Sullivan is seemingly throwing 110-130 pitches every time out and Tim Stauffer is starting to tire out some. A good deal of scouting departments look for size with pitchers. Cornell's got it, Stauffer and Sullivan don't.

Cornell's pitchability isn't there with the others which is why he hasn't been so dominant. He gets too much plate at times and leaves pitches up sometimes. The reports by those that have followed him over time say that his improvement has been very good from this year to last. He wasn't an effective pitcher his sophomore season. Is it too much to ask of someone to go from an ineffective pitcher to a nationally dominant guy in one year?

I don't mean to sound like a Cornell apologist, just giving you some thoughts!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 28, 2003, 3:11 PM Post

Global Moderator
I don't mean to sound like a Cornell apologist, just giving you some thoughts!

And they're good thoughts at that!

After my comments about Cornell I decided to pop in the tape I have of him. The fastball is most certainly there, and it's the type of pitch that simply explodes out of his hand.

You're dead on with his command/control. He doesn't seem to be able to spot his fastball as well as he could. That seems to be a huge reason so many balls are put into play. If he learns that aspect of the game alone, he could become one heck of a pitcher.

He did snap off a couple of good breaking balls. Once again, if he gets more consistent with that pitch, the 1-2 power punch alone is going to be effective.

And you're right, just because he wasn't a known commodity last year shouldn't hurt his value now. In turn, just because he's not dominating right now doesn't mean he won't in the future. But again, you would like to see his production match his projection, especially for a college guy.

And you made another good point about his size compared to Sullivan & Stauffer. I'm surprised I haven't seen more publications bring up the concerns with both of these guys. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Sullivan take it easy after he signs a pro deal, if he even does in time to pitch this summer. As you said, he's gone incredibly deep in each & every game he's thrown. Did he throw this much last year before he went on to pitch for TeamUSA all summer?

Thanks as always for your insight OhioScout.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 29, 2003, 12:50 PM Post
Has Cornell pitched on television?

Sullivan threw a good amount his sophomore season but the pitch counts weren't as consistently high. The Houston team was a lot better last year, this year they might feel they have to push him further than they may be comfortable to win games. He hasn't really slown down much, even after throwing a good amount his sophomore season.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: April 30, 2003, 12:25 AM Post

Global Moderator
Has Cornell pitched on television?

No, at least not around here. I have video of about 10-15 prospects for this year's draft, and Cornell is one of them. Sullivan is another.

Houston's offense isn't helping them too much this season, otherwise Sullivan might not be pushed as much. However, their pitching staff is rather strong with Wagner & Zell, so I guess I don't see the need to push Sullivan THAT much.

BA has a really good story on pitch counts in their most recent issue. Not too long ago no one was talking about them & they weren't such a big deal. The story does a great job giving some historical perspective while offering views from both sides of the argument.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 01, 2003, 12:46 AM Post

Global Moderator
OhioScout, or anyone else for that matter, have you heard anything about Dustin Mollekan? T1 is reporting that he is drawing a lot of scouts & may be considered with a high 1st-round selection. He's a 6'5" 205 RHP with a big-time fastball. Just curious if the buzz is legit.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 02, 2003, 10:50 PM Post
Jim Callis at BA:

Who do you think is the best all-around catcher in the 2003 draft?

We're in the midst of canvassing the baseball world on this topic and several other draft-related issues. The consensus best all-around catcher is Jarrod Saltalamacchia from Royal Palm Beach (Fla.) High. Saltalamaccchia, who's 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds, is very athletic for a backstop. "As far as the total package," an American League scouting director said, "he's the guy." He has bat speed, arm strength and power potential. A Florida State signee, he hit .391-1-11 in 23 at-bats for third-place Team USA at the World Junior Championships last summer.

Saltalamacchia projects as a second- or third-round pick, especially with the expected emphasis on college players in the 2003 draft. The best bet for a catcher going in the first round appears to be Toledo's Mitch Maier.

Maier, who's 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, also is very athletic for a catcher and saw time in the outfield in the Cape Cod League last summer. His hitting ability and offensive approach are his best attributes. Maier is having a huge year, batting .452-7-49 with 23 steals (in 26 attempts) through 39 games. His 27-7 walk-strikeout ratio has to have caught the eye of the Athletics, who pick 25th, 26th and 32nd. Though he has good tools behind the plate, he has thrown out just eight of 55 basestealers (15 percent).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 7:53 AM Post
Saltalamacchia's updated stats:

.430/.611/.733, 6 2B, 4 3B, 4 HR, 40 BB

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 8:04 AM Post
Hmmmmm, only half the post showed up. I'll try again.

.430/.611/.733, 6 2B, 4 3B, 4 HR, 40 BB & 14 K in 86 ABs, 13 steals, and defensively has thrown out 13 of 16 attempts. Most of his stats have come from the left side but he has bounced a few off of some 412' fences from both sides on occasion.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 8:56 AM Post
Second or third round pick? Excellent. Screw my dream of picking up Bakker in the second round. I'm now a Saltalamacchia guy all the way because what Callis says is as good as gold. Not looking forward to the potential of having to type his name over and over, tho.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 3:48 PM Post

Global Moderator
Catchers with Saltalamacchia's skills don't fall out of the 1st round. I'm not sure how he goes from a legitimate 1st rounder to a 2nd or 3rd rounder given his performances so far this year. I've also been told that he has been making opposing pitchers pay by working around him so much by stealing bases & showing some impressive speed.

He's a switch-hitting catcher with pop from both sides of the plate, tremendous athleticism & great potential both offensively & defensively. If he somehow falls to our 2nd round pick, I can say quite confidently that Saltalamacchia will be the Brewers' pick pick without blinking. I will be very surprised & extremely pleased to see that happen.

2 more things, I think Bakker could very well fall to the 4th or 5th rounds, and you don't have to worry about spelling Saltalamacchia's name all of the time, as most affectionately refer to him at "Salty."

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 4:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
The track record of HS catchers in the first round is abominable. Everybody nowadays is joining the Beane cult and looking for college guys. We could well see some top flight prep guys available at #40...though the Braves do have two supp picks before that so they'll pick off some prep arms or toolsy bats. I wouldn't be stunned if Salty and Stewart were there (since I obsess over C and 3b)...I also wouldn't be stunned to see the Brewers go elsewhere...they never listen to what I want, which is probably a good thing.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Player updates

Posted: May 03, 2003, 4:55 PM Post

Global Moderator
One name: Ted Simmons.

And while the track record for HS catchers is pretty poor, HS OFs taken in the first round since 1965 actually have the worst track record in making it to & succeeding at the MLB level. Worse than HS RHPs & catchers.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test