LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 192 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Offline  Re: 2018 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20
Posted: June 24, 2018, 6:30 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
Currently unsigned 20th round selection Joey Matulovich, RHP, California, had a nice long relief outing in the Cape Cod League last night, ARTICLE LINK.

From the article...

”The man who kept them in the game? Joey Matulovich.

Matulovich came in to relieve Feole and dazzled over four innings of work. Matulovich struck out five Braves and did not allow any runs or walks.

“Joey did a great job. I thought his last inning was his best. His curveball was his best. He’s a competitor so we will get some good innings out of him,” Sneddon said.”

amt2138 said:
Davis Daniel had a dominant 4 inning start in his first appearance in the Cape Cod League. His stock is trending way up. He really could cap off this draft class nicely for the Brewers if they were able to strike a deal.

I am hopeful (can't guarantee at this time) that I will be able to make the 25-mile trek to see both Matulovich and Daniel this Wednesday when they are in opposing dugouts in Wareham - no idea if either will be on the mound.

I've been told Brewers will have scouting staff there, but they've had guys on the Cape all summer thus far.

Scout Wynn Pelzer's twitter timeline is non-player specific, but has been glorious in wordsmithing.

If I do go, I'll be all Brewer-geared up in my Travis Shaw shirsey and will make my selling point. If any other Brewer fan locals are nearby and want to potentially join me, reach out, please.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2018, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
It seems like the Brewers managed to get many (most?) of their signings in at or below slot so far, allowing them to bank a great deal of cash. Obviously, Turang may take a chunk of that and I'd think they'd make a good run at Cabell, but is it possible that coming in with a significant or full $125k offer to some of the 'will not signs' could cause a couple to reconsider?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2018, 2:09 PM Post
And That said:
Rasmussen is not on the Beavers' roster and will not pitch for the Brewers this year. Not surprised he signed, but a teency bit surprised he went so far under slot.

Given his situation, what is left after taxes of that $135K signing bonus gives him a nice nest egg.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2018, 3:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
9th round selection Arbert Cipion is officially signed and headed to the AZL. No word on bonus amount yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2018, 10:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
9th round selection Arbert Cipion is officially signed and headed to the AZL. No word on bonus amount yet.

I don't know why, but I really like this kid. Maybe because he has a cool name.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2018, 11:25 AM Post
Still confident in Howell and Iverson?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2018, 10:39 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
TheJumpAround said:
Still confident in Howell and Iverson?

I'm confident they both have a good chance of being signed, yes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2018, 2:02 AM Post

Global Moderator
19th round high school pick South Dakota RHP Peyton Zabel threw a no-hitter in Legion Ball Monday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2018, 4:38 PM Post

Global Moderator
Get to watch both Matulovich and Daniel tonight! Matulovich K’d two in a 1-2-3 1st. Daniel scheduled to throw the back half of the tandem on the opposing side.

Matulovich looks the part.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2018, 10:52 AM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
Get to watch both Matulovich and Daniel tonight! Matulovich K’d two in a 1-2-3 1st. Daniel scheduled to throw the back half of the tandem on the opposing side.

Matulovich looks the part.

Article link, with pertinent info below

As for the Gatemen pitching, Wareham received another good start from Joey Matulovich who finally record his first victory of the season in his fourth outing. Matulovich allows one unearned run over five innings while striking out six.

Sneddon did not believe Matulovich was his best tonight, particularly saying that he lacked fastball command. However, Sneddon knew Matulovich would find a way to grind out a good start.

“I don’t think he was real sharp tonight, but I think it was enough to keep him off balance. He gave up a run which is fine, but he battled,” Sneddon said.

“He knows how to battle. He’s a mature young man and just came back without his best stuff and still was able to pitch and that’s what pitchers need to be able to do.”

Don't read into the "first win" comment, starters don't often go five innings in this league's early schedule, the 6'3" Matulovich did Wednesday.

Davis Daniel was focusing on his fastball, and it was a consistent 93-94 from a tracking report I saw, discussion I overheard.

Not a lot on their own pitching mechanic specifics, but if you check my Twitter timeline for June 27th / 28th, you'll be able to follow along with my evening on the Cape.

Tremendous luck that the one evening that worked perfectly into my schedule featured the two pitchers on opposing clubs both taking the mound in the same game, in the most convenient Cape locale for me. Weather cooperated. Didn't even have to miss a big league Brewers game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2018, 4:09 PM Post
Brewers Player Dev
@BrewersPD
Following Following @BrewersPD
We've signed our 9th round pick, Arbert Cipion. We've also signed IF Eddie Silva from Florida International University.

https://www.fiusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6562

https://www.fiusports.com/news/2018/6/2 ... ewers.aspx

FIU second baseman Eddie Silva signed a free agent deal with the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday. Silva becomes the second Panther this season to join the pro ranks after FIU pitcher Andres Nunez was drafted by the Kansas City Royals earlier this month.

"What a great and deserving opportunity for Eddie," said FIU head coach Mervyl Melendez. "He not only had a great year for our team but he was able to be a true leader for a young team. We wish Eddie much success throughout his professional baseball career."

Silva had his finest season in an FIU uniform in 2018. The redshirt junior hit a team-leading 16 home runs and had a team-leading 48 RBI while batting .321. Silva also led the Panthers with a .686 slugging percentage.

Silva, who was named to the All-Conference USA First Team, hit the most home runs in Conference USA this season along with Southern Miss's Matt Wallner, who also went deep 16 times. Silva was second in the league in slugging.

The 16 home runs hit by Silva tied for the sixth most in a single FIU baseball season. Silva tied Hiram Silfa, who hit 16 home runs in 1999.

Earlier this season Silva was named Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week after hitting .600 with four home runs and 12 RBI during the week of April 16-22. He was also honored as Conference USA's Hitter of the Week.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2018, 5:28 PM Post
are the brewers done with their picks expect for his first rounder?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2018, 5:45 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
brewmann04 said:
are the brewers done with their picks expect for his first rounder?

No. 99.9% sure others besides Turang will sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2018, 7:12 PM Post
thanks for the quick reply much appreciated

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2018, 9:49 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
From Prospects1500, a somewhat confusing comment on 20th rounder Joey Matulovich:

Joey Matulovich, Wareham (2019 Draft) A Junior from Cal Berkeley, the tall righthander was a swing man between the pen and the rotation, tossing Cal’s lone complete game last season. He was selected in the 20th round of last June’s draft by the Brewers, but instead chose to return to school. He was relegated to the Golden Bears pen during the season but performed well, with an ERA of 2.31 over 27.1 pen innings, striking out 27 batters in the process. In his four appearances on the Cape, Matulovich has been stellar, collecting a 0.50 ERA, with 17 Ks to 5 walks over 18 innings for the Gatemen. Matulovich mixes a fastball, breaking ball, and changeup. The fastball sits low 90’s with the breaking ball in the mid-80s, and a changeup that sits 78-81.

Matulovich was selected in *this* June's draft (Austin Rubick was last year's 20th rounder) so I think the writer may have the timeline wrong, and I don't believe the Matulovich has already chosen to return to Cal, but I am attempting to clarify.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2018, 1:35 PM Post
Cipion comes in under slot

https://twitter.com/jonathanmayo/status ... 78752?s=21

9th-rder Arbet Cipion gets $138.2K (pick 275 value = $146.2K) Plus runner w/rangy and lean body, projection in OF @PctiBulldogs. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2018, 2:14 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jbrownpg/status/101 ... 37729?s=21

Cabell’s not signing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2018, 4:04 AM Post

Global Moderator
Further confirmation on 12th round SS Korry Howell

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2018, 7:31 AM Post
Any updates on Zabell or Iverson?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2018, 10:06 PM Post
https://twitter.com/em_jay_dubs/status/ ... 72608?s=21

Reese Olson signs with the Brewers. $440k signing bonus. That doesn’t seem to bode well for signing Turang.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 192 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test