LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Offline  Re: 2018 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Posted: June 06, 2018, 2:08 PM Post
Brewers love the Island, Rios is okay bat. Averaged around .285 over 3 years. Not much power or slugging but walks just as much as he ks. Both average around 15% of the time

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 2:14 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
29 (875): @Brewers select Montverde Academy (FL) SS Nander De Sedas. http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/262722544/v1868818783 … #MLBDraft

Nander De Sedas | Rank: 55
School: Montverde (Fla.) Academy Year: Senior
Position: SS Age: 18 DOB: 07/25/1999
Bats: S Throws: R Height: 6'1" Weight: 190 lb.
Commitment: Florida State
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Back in 2011, a young shortstop came out of Montverde High School in Florida and ended up going No. 8 overall to the Cleveland Indians. While he had a long way to go before earning a true comp to All-Star Francisco Lindor, De Sedas' strong summer had him brought up in the conversation for more reasons than just attending the same high school, though an uneven spring has cooled his projections considerably.

The raw tools are still there for De Sedas to be a successful middle infielder at the next level, but he hasn't put them to consistent use in his senior year. He has plus raw power and has shown the wherewithal to tap into it in games at times in the past. He hasn't shown the same advanced approach he had over the summer, but the skills are there to hit for average and tap into that raw power. Relatively new to switch-hitting, his left-handed swing needs work. De Sedas has a very strong arm and good hands, which gives him the chance to stick at short. His lack of speed could eventually necessitate a move to third.

De Sedas' summer moved him way up on Draft lists and raised the level of expectations considerably, but he didn't come out and perform as hoped this spring. A team that feels it can help him unlock those raw tools consistently will still take him early enough to keep him from heading to Florida State.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 2:16 PM Post
jeff ellis
@jeffMLBdraft
Yes Nander De Sedas was just drafted, no he is not signing

Vinnie Cervino
@vcervinoPG
52s52 seconds ago
Nander De Sedas finally comes off the board in the 29th to the #Brewers. Impact tools with pop from both sides; won't be signing. #mlbdraft

This shouldn't surprise anyone but nonetheless.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 2:26 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker

Verified account

30 (905): @Brewers select Segerstrom HS (CA) LHP Basilio Pacheco. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 2:50 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
31 (935): @Brewers select St Pius X HS LHS Matt Dillard. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 3:18 PM Post
While not the Dillard I called for yearly yesterday (Trey) can never go wrong with a Dillard in the system!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 3:36 PM Post
Good read on Brandon Hylton who is a 6’6 220 1B from New Jersey. He is committed to Stetson which is really rising right now. Mixed with how raw he is, & the late pick... college seems likely imo

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/warren/ar ... hylton-awa

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 3:50 PM Post
@ScoutTrio
Josh Watson OF TCU has some quick-twitch at the plate. He is athletic and can run a little bit too. Likely headed back to TCU for his senior year. We had a 4th RD Pre-Draft grade on him. Brewers #1055 35th Round. Report:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:00 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
36 (1085): @Brewers select North Iowa Area CC LHS Brandon Williamson. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:04 PM Post
jeff ellis
@jeffMLBdraft
Brandon Williamson was another late cut for me, Brewers taking a lot of these unsignable guys late

Jeff Johnson
@jeje66
Iowans in Baseball America's Top 500 MLB Draft list: NIACC P Brandon Williamson (168), Iowa OF Robert Neustrom (189), Kirkwood SS Korry Howell (385), Iowa P Brady Schanuel (408), Iowa P Nick Allgeyer (457), Iowa C Tyler Cropley (472).

Mike Tennyson
@MikeTennyson
Expect Brandon Williamson LHP ( Martin Co West HS & NIACC & TCU commit to be drafted today...6’5” w/live arm & 3 sport athlete. ......This follows Fairmont MN HS, NIACC and UK grad Luke Becker drafted Tues by Padres in 9th round...So MN small town baseball stars making good

Travis Hergert
@CoachHerg
More Travis Hergert Retweeted MLB Pipeline
MLB Pipeline ranks @NIACCBaseball LHP Brandon Williamson as the top prospect in the state of Iowa!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:12 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
37 (1115): @Brewers select Central Florida (FL) RHP Franklin Hernandez. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:26 PM Post
Scoutcast Baseball
@ScoutcastBB
FR RHP Franklin Hernandez (Dominican Republic) has been a pleasant surprise for @cfpats. Up to 92.4 in this Intrasquad, and has recently climbed to 96 w/ 2400+ spin and 2650 spin on the CB. Pitching coach @CoachBoveCF continues to do his part in developing arms @jucoroute

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:29 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
38 (1145): @Brewers select Rosemount HS RHS Aidan Maldonado. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:31 PM Post
2. Aidan Maldonado, RHP, Rosemount (Minn.) HS (BA Rank: 287)
HS • 6-0 • 170 • R-R • Illinois
Maldonado popped up onto the national scouting scene with an impressive performance at the World Wood Bat Championships in Jupiter last October. In that short stint, Maldonado showed a 91-95 mph fastball and a two-plane power curve breaking ball that flashed above-average. Both pitches came from a fast, live arm. The arm strength has been there this spring as well, but he’s been more hittable than scouts would like and evaluators aren’t enamored with his delivery. The Illinois signee could still end up getting some money in the draft, but it’s more likely to come from a team drafting him on day three.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 4:42 PM Post
MLB Draft Trackert
@MLBDraftTracker
39 (1175): @Brewers select Blue Springs HS (MO) C Caleb Marquez. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... =team&=mil … #MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 7:28 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
"The Brewers know I am going to go to college but they just really liked what I did over the summer and this spring and they believe in me and they want to see me in three years"

Central Catholic’s Steve Hajjar drafted by Brewers
By Karl Capen, Boston Globe Correspondent

Steve Hajjar intends to honor his scholarship to play baseball at the University of Michigan this fall.

But the Central Catholic senior now has another option: pro ball.

On Wednesday afternoon, the 6-foot-4 lefthander from North Andover was picked in the 21st round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, with the 635th overall selection, realizing one of his childhood dreams.

Hajjar, the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year, received a call from a Brewers scout while en route to Central’s Super 8 first-round playoff game against Mansfield, an 8-3 victory.

“I just got into Haverhill . . . [and the scout] told me that I was drafted in the 21st round and they know I am going to go to college but they just really liked what I did over the summer and this spring and they believe in me and they want to see me in three years,” said Hajjar, who started at first base against Mansfield.

“It was just an amazing gesture and I couldn’t stop smiling for about a half an hour. It was one of the best moments of my life”

In a 12-4 start for the fourth-ranked Raiders, Hajjar posted a 2-1 record with a 0.26 earned run average and 41 strikeouts. He allowed just 12 total hits and one walk through 27-plus innings of work, and also has a .350 batting average, .490 on-base percentage and .500 slugging percentage.

Named the Merrimack Valley Conference Division 1 Player of the Year, Hajjar shut out Andover, 4-0, in his last start, on Saturday.

“I just remember being a little kid and saying ‘I want to play in the MLB,’” said Hajjar.

“It is every little kids dream, and then today, even though I am not going to go right out of high school, I mean, it is an unreal accomplishment. I never thought I would be drafted out of high school. I just can’t believe it. It is hard to put into words.”

“I don’t want to sell myself short, you know? My goal is to be a first rounder in the next three years so that is what I want to do. And if that wasn’t going to happen out of high school, I am going to try and make it happen out of college. That’s the goal.”

Central coach Marc Pelletier has a no cell phone policy at the field, but “I had to let [Hajjar] talk to his dad after [he was drafted] behind the dugout. I was thrilled.

“It is so great. Think of yourself being 18 years old getting call from the GM of the Brewers.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 7:42 PM Post

Global Moderator
“I think he’s probably going to lean to go to college, which is probably why he fell where he did,” said Steve DiTrolio, director of recruiting at Diamond Nation in Flemington, where Hylton has been a part of the Diamond Jacks program since he was 13 years old. “College is very important to Brandon and very important to his dad.”

Brewers select Ridge's Brandon Hylton in MLB Draft
Greg Tufaro, mycentraljersey.com

Photo at the link above

The Milwaukee Brewers selected Ridge High School senior first baseman Brandon Hylton in the 33rd round of the 2018 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Wednesday with the 995th overall pick.

A two-time Courier News first-team All-Area selection, Hylton transferred before the start of this academic year from Watchung Hills, where he batted .372 with a .686 slugging percentage as a sophomore and crushed seven homers last season.

Hylton, who could not be immediately reached for comment, was one of eight scholastic players from New Jersey to be drafted, all but two of which were field position players.

Ridge head coach Tom Blackwell said he exchanged texts with Hylton after the first baseman was drafted early Wednesday night, and that he wanted to refrain from talking to him until the school day on Thursday because he wanted his star player to have some space.

The 6-foot-6 lefthanded slugger has already signed a National Letter of Intent to continue his baseball and academic career at Division I Stetson University, thus Hylton has options should the Brewers not be able to convince him to sign.

Had Hylton been considered more signable, he almost certainly would have been drafted in the earlier rounds.

“I think he’s probably going to lean to go to college, which is probably why he fell where he did,” said Steve DiTrolio, director of recruiting at Diamond Nation in Flemington, where Hylton has been a part of the Diamond Jacks program since he was 13 years old. “College is very important to Brandon and very important to his dad.”

DiTrolio said he believes Hylton projected as a draft pick because “he fits the profile of a pro hitter. He’s lefthanded, very athletic and real loose.”

“He definitely has a lot of room to grow. You can tell he is still young. He’s got a good frame. He’s going to put on some size in the next few years. Once he really matures, he’s going to be a beast.”

DiTrolio said he has watched Hylton mature into a “tremendous young man” whose disposition does not change, whether he went 4-for-4 or 0-for-4 in a game.

“He’s a lovable kid with a great personality,” DiTrolio said. “He’s got a good head on his shoulders that will really do him well whether he decides to go to Stetson or go to the Brewers. He just loves the game.”

Hylton, who throws right-handed, led Ridge to a 15-7 record and the Skyland Conference Raritan Division championship while batting .328 with three homers and a team-leading 16 stolen bases. Opposing hurlers pitched around him to the tune of 20 walks.

“He’s just an unbelievable kid,” Blackwell said. “I’ve never seen anybody have such an impact without saying a word. Obviously, he’s so big, he has such a presence. He’s a very quiet and humble kid. His work ethic in practice is amazing. He stood out. I’ve seen him do some things with a bat that I’ve never seen anybody do, and he makes all the infielders better and more comfortable.

"When you look up and see that kid standing over there (at first base), it (making a throw across the diamond) is a heck of a lot easier."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 7:42 PM Post
So is the strategy to try and build relationships with kids like this now even though they obviously know he isn't signing?

I mean you could have a scout call the kid and tell him that without using a draft pick on them......I know you aren't going to sign everyone but the MLB draft is just kind of bizarre to me.

How many guys out of the 40 drafted typically sign?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 7:50 PM Post
markedman5 said:
So is the strategy to try and build relationships with kids like this now even though they obviously know he isn't signing?

I mean you could have a scout call the kid and tell him that without using a draft pick on them......I know you aren't going to sign everyone but the MLB draft is just kind of bizarre to me.

How many guys out of the 40 drafted typically sign?

I think this is sort of like flirting with a girl now, knowing that she's seeing someone, but planting the seed in her mind that you're interested. The Brewers hope that a couple of these talented kids might not have seriously considered going pro yet. Now that they've been drafted, they're going to at least contemplate things before going to school. If a few kids realize their hearts aren't into college, then they now have an option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 06, 2018, 8:03 PM Post

Global Moderator
“All I wanted was an opportunity, and I got an opportunity.”

PHOTO at the link

Brewers select University of Hawaii’s Kekai Rios in 28th round of MLB draft
Stephen Tsai, StarAdvertiser.com (HAWAII)

Rios hit .318 in 24 Big West games this past season as a catcher, third baseman and designated hitter. He also handled a pitching staff that used eight different starters.

The Kansas City Royals had called Rios earlier today but made a conditional offer that was deemed too low. After a breakfast of pancakes and Portuguese sausage, Rios was returning to his family’s Hilo home when he learned he was selected by the Brewers.

Hey, I'm Portuguese, cacoila, oh yeah! -- Jim

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test