LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 100 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Draft

Offline  2019 MLB Draft

Posted: October 01, 2018, 8:44 PM Post
In all the excitement today, the draft order got a small blurb. They pick 26th, ahead of only the 4 big AL teams.

Hope they can find a late round pick like Plesac or Sveum and not Arnett, Coulter or Roache.

Last edited by bork on October 02, 2018, 7:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 26th pick in the 2019 draft

Posted: October 02, 2018, 5:51 AM Post
Unfortuantely 3 first rounders (2 ahead of us) did not sign so we should have pick 28 and should get a CB-A pick between 40-45.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2018, 10:15 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Here is Fangraphs' 2019 draft board at this point. Which will provide little indication of who will be around come next June for the Brewers at 28. Brice Turang was still in the top couple spots on most draft boards at this point last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2018, 6:34 PM Post
Apparently really bad year for pitchers & year of the SS....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 04, 2018, 7:19 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Apparently really bad year for pitchers & year of the SS....

Well we pick 28th so at that point it is already a giant crapshoot.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 28th pick in the 2019 draft

Posted: October 05, 2018, 5:55 AM Post
I would like to see what we did in the 2016 in the mid top ten picks. Lots of college age arms with the top ten picks. After Zach Brown and a couple of other tweeners in AA and AAA our pitching prospects are all 18 year old crap shots. I would love to have a Corbin Burnes and Zach Brown type pitchers come out of 6-7 top ten 2019 picks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2018, 7:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Will be curious to see how highly Stearns & company value this pick.

I think Grandal will get QO'd by the Dodgers, but they won't be that motivated to resign him with Barnes already in MLB & Smith/Ruiz knocking on the door.

Given our need at catcher I could see Yasmani being appealing around 3/50 considering he's a switch hitter that has never posted an OPS+ under 100 (121 this year, 115 career) & consistently rates as one of the best pitch framers in the game.

Obviously the downside is losing this late first round pick & we'd be getting his age 30-32 seasons, which is when things start to get scary for catchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2018, 10:47 AM Post
Late in the first might be the spot to take a top pitcher that goes down to Tommy John and dropped because of it. Obviously not cheering for it to happen but knowing the nature of the game and how amateur coaches take care of their pitchers it might be something to look for. Feels like their has been some success going this route lately with Buehler, Giolito, Fedde popping to my mind right away. Obviously the successful ones stick out a lot more than the unsuccessful ones which I'm sure there are many.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2018, 2:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
sveumrules said:
Obviously the downside is losing this late first round pick & we'd be getting his age 30-32 seasons, which is when things start to get scary for catchers.

Regardless of who they sign they won’t forfeit this selection under the new CBA...

A team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, any additional first-round picks are eligible. Under the previous CBA, only the top 10 overall picks were exempt from forfeiture, so this is a big change.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2018, 3:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks for the info, Eye Black.

Glad they changed that & clearly missed that they did.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2018, 2:55 PM Post
amt2138 said:
Late in the first might be the spot to take a top pitcher that goes down to Tommy John and dropped because of it. Obviously not cheering for it to happen but knowing the nature of the game and how amateur coaches take care of their pitchers it might be something to look for. Feels like their has been some success going this route lately with Buehler, Giolito, Fedde popping to my mind right away. Obviously the successful ones stick out a lot more than the unsuccessful ones which I'm sure there are many.

Always a fan of this strategy. Grab the guy who looked the best before he started struggling with elbow injuries. This is only slighly hyperbolic, but it's almost better to draft a guy who needs TJ surgery. Get it out of the way and you most likely won't have to worry about it again....at least for a while.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2018, 3:20 PM Post
I'd rather go for the guy with the best hit-for-average tool and good OBP skills.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2018, 8:32 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
amt2138 said:

Always a fan of this strategy. Grab the guy who looked the best before he started struggling with elbow injuries. This is only slighly hyperbolic, but it's almost better to draft a guy who needs TJ surgery. Get it out of the way and you most likely won't have to worry about it again....at least for a while.

Nathan Kirby says hello. He said it doesn't always work out that way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 2:52 AM Post
clancyphile said:
I'd rather go for the guy with the best hit-for-average tool and good OBP skills.

Who would've guessed [tongue]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 12:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
HiAndTight said:
amt2138 said:

Nathan Kirby says hello. He said it doesn't always work out that way.

Because Nathan Kirby has struggled should we invalidate the idea?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 29, 2018, 7:01 AM Post
And That said:
Here is Fangraphs' 2019 draft board at this point. Which will provide little indication of who will be around come next June for the Brewers at 28. Brice Turang was still in the top couple spots on most draft boards at this point last year.

A lot can change, obviously, but I like that some big strong HS third basemen are listed right around where the Brewers pick. Rece Hinds would be a nice addition to the Brewers farm system.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/pla ... ?ID=373927

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2018, 9:08 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
And That said:

A lot can change, obviously, but I like that some big strong HS third basemen are listed right around where the Brewers pick. Rece Hinds would be a nice addition to the Brewers farm system.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/pla ... ?ID=373927

More intrigued by Zach Thompson, myself. Granted a bit of a reach at 28 (he's #35), but...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2018, 4:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
A lot of videos available of the players in the 2019 draft class at 2080 Baseball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2018, 11:31 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Will be curious to see how highly Stearns & company value this pick.

I think Grandal will get QO'd by the Dodgers, but they won't be that motivated to resign him with Barnes already in MLB & Smith/Ruiz knocking on the door.

Given our need at catcher I could see Yasmani being appealing around 3/50 considering he's a switch hitter that has never posted an OPS+ under 100 (121 this year, 115 career) & consistently rates as one of the best pitch framers in the game.

You think Grandal deserves a QO? Well just checked and he was. But how in the world would he turn the QO down? What is that going to be like 18million for 1 year? Who would seriously cough up money like that for a catcher besides the likes of LA or NY, while losing something towards their draft? Lucroy was far better player only he had a bad season leading up to his FA. Followed up with 6.5mil 1 year contract. After this past season's FA and that the Catcher now below him in salary is 11mil, I see no way he will approach 18mil for 2019.

On the other end, LA QO'd Ryu, which would have likely been the kind of target I think Stearns dipped in to for less money than expected. Only now at 18mil, no chance, no way. Good Luck LA with committing 36million in to these two players.

As to the draft, it's gotta be such a crapshoot at this time to even think who will be a pick at 28 for us. Players that are top 20 in the minds today, half likely won't be top 30 come day of the draft. Gotta be at least 5 outside the top 50 who climb inside the top 25. That literally may hold true the final 20 days leading up to the draft.

Just looked it up and these 7 were handed QOs:
Grandal
Ryu
Corbin
Harper
Kimbrel
Pollock
Kuechel

Not sure who you'd pluck from that. Pollock would have been a good grab to play OF, but that is clearly not needed. Kuechel is #1 SP in this class makes him priced out of our market.
Kimbrel would fit this clubs current RP strategy, but do we really need to add a pricey RP to this team's future salary outlooks, and block more up and comers?
Harper...ha

Would only leave Corbin. Like Grandal, he's coming off a career year. He'll be overvalued, don't see that going our way. Another big market overpay.

But just maybe, Grandal foolishly declines his QO, and after many months pass on by, he ends up signing a cheaper deal like 12mil a year? But really, how could he pass up on 18mil, almost doubles his career earnings, while being the 4th highest paid for his position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2018, 12:23 AM Post
Kirby is only one year removed from his surgery maybe we give it a second season.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 100 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test