LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 100 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Draft

Author Message
Offline  Re: 28th pick in the 2019 draft
#21

Posted: November 10, 2018, 12:31 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9852
I am all for grabbing the best pitcher at 28 because you never have enough pitching especially starters.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft (28th pick)
#22

Posted: November 10, 2018, 7:30 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6381
The exact order of the competitive balance selections should come out sometime over the next week.

The Brewers will receive a Comp A round pick which currently would fall between selections #34 to #39.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft (28th pick)
#23

Posted: November 16, 2018, 2:59 PM Post
Posts: 4520
Eye Black said:
The exact order of the competitive balance selections should come out sometime over the next week.

The Brewers will receive a Comp A round pick which currently would fall between selections #34 to #39.


Very interesting... that does make getting Zach Thompson less of a reach, and the Crew could go for another pitcher as well.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Brewers Receive 2019 Comp Round A Pick #39
#24

Posted: November 19, 2018, 4:47 PM Post
Posts: 802
https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-draft ... =151437456


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers Receive 2019 Comp Round A Pick #39
#25

Posted: November 19, 2018, 8:32 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6381
From the link above...

Competitive Balance Rounds A and B take place after the completion of the first and second rounds, respectively. No longer determined by lottery, all teams that fell in the bottom 10 in revenue or bottom 10 in market size got a pick in Round A in 2017, after the first round, or Round B, following the second round. A formula that takes revenue and winning percentage into account was used to award six Round A picks in 2017, with eight teams getting Comp Round B picks that year.

Last year, the groups of teams switched places, with eight Comp Round A picks and six in Round B, with Major League Baseball re-running the aforementioned formula. No teams dropped out, but the order in each round changed as a result.

The 2019 Comp Round A will be back to six picks, with the Marlins, Rays, Reds, A's, Brewers and Twins, in that order, getting selections that currently will be picks 34 through 40 (the Pirates have a supplemental pick at No. 37 for not signing Gunnar Hoglund, the 36th pick in 2018). The Round B order will be Royals, Orioles, Pirates, Padres, D-backs, Rockies, Indians and Cardinals. As of now, those selections will be picks No. 71 through 78.

The order and current pick numbers of Competitive Balance Rounds A and B are below. Pick numbers are subject to change based on trades (Competitive Balance Round picks can be traded) and qualifying offer free-agent signings.

Round A
34. Miami Marlins
35. Tampa Bay Rays
36. Cincinnati Reds
37. Pittsburgh Pirates*
38. Oakland A's
39. Milwaukee Brewers
40. Minnesota Twins
* Compensation for not signing Gunnar Hoglund in 2018

Round B
71. Kansas City Royals
72. Baltimore Orioles
73. Pittsburgh Pirates
74. San Diego Padres
75. Arizona Diamondbacks
76. Colorado Rockies
77. Cleveland Indians
78. St. Louis Cardinals

There are still changes that will come to the Draft order, starting with what happens with qualifying-offer free agent signing deals. Those deals will have some impact on what the Draft beyond the top picks looks like. Six of the seven free agents who received offers rejected them, with Dodgers lefty Hyun-Jin Ryu took a one-year, $17.9 million offer, becoming only the sixth player to accept among the 80 to receive offers since 2012.

Here are the six free agents who declined a qualifying offer, and what Draft compensation their 2018 teams stand to receive if the players sign elsewhere
:

Astros -- Dallas Keuchel: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B
D-backs -- Patrick Corbin and A.J. Pollock:
A) If either player signs for at least $50 million: Pick between 1st round and Competitive Balance Round A
B) If either player signs for less than $50 million: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B
Dodgers -- Yasmani Grandal: Pick after Competitive Balance Round B
Nationals -- Bryce Harper: Pick after Round 4
Red Sox -- Craig Kimbrel: Pick after Round 4


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#26

Posted: April 11, 2019, 6:05 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6381
Reminder that the above information is no longer accurate as the Brewers gave up the Comp A selection in the trade for Alex Claudio (and they forfeited their 3rd highest selection for signing Yasmani Grandal).

Looking at the draft, it is pretty much a crapshoot at this point (especially when you're drafting 28th overall), but Baseball America's newest Mock Draft has the Brewers taking Hunter Barco, a LHP out of Bolles High School in Jacksonville. The note ties the Brewers to being one of the teams showing interest in Barco this spring.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#27

Posted: April 12, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1040
Would rather have Pick #39 than Alex Claudio but what can you do...

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#28

Posted: May 14, 2019, 3:31 PM Post
Posts: 171
Nathan Stevens and Waunakee are playing at Miller Park today. Would be interested to hear from Patrick or Toby their thoughts on Stevens or any of the other top WI prep players that may have a chance at being drafted in the top 10 rounds.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#29

Posted: May 14, 2019, 7:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6108
Three weeks from the draft and we had our first post in over a month.

Pretty telling how far the major league club has come in the last couple of years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#30

Posted: May 15, 2019, 5:29 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6381
FanGraphs released their Mock Draft 2.0 with the following being listed as the Brewers selection...

28. Brewers – Maurice Hampton, CF, Memphis University HS (TN)
Hampton fits the Brewers’ upside type as a young-for-the-class, up-the-middle athlete with big exit velos, though he’s raw enough to get to this pick. Hampton is also an LSU cornerback commit but should be signable in this range.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#31

Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:08 PM Post
Posts: 7996
I'd like to see us draft hitters. We built our incredible run from 2007 through now with stud hitters. I like drafting hitters early, pitchers heavily after around round 4.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#32

Posted: May 16, 2019, 7:41 AM Post
Posts: 482
Just for clarification, after trading the Competitive Round A pick to Texas, and losing the 3rd round pick for signing Grandal, the Brewers first picks are: 1.28; 2.65; and 4.133?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#33

Posted: May 16, 2019, 11:17 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2418
A Swing and A Drive said:
Would rather have Pick #39 than Alex Claudio but what can you do...


Claudio posted 3.7 fWAR/4.8 bWAR in the three seasons before we acquired him & likely projects to produce similar value over the three years of control we have.

For comparison, here are the fifteen #39 picks from 2000-14...

Negative WAR (3): David Huff (2006, -1.8), Anthony Ranaudo (2010, -1.5), Connor Joe (2014, -0.1).

No MLB (7): Chad Hawkins (2000), Wyatt Allen (2001), Jay Rainville (2004), Hank Sanchez (2005), James Adkins (2007), Kentrail Davis (2009), Larry Greene (2011).

Push (3): Mark Teahan (2002, 2 .6), TGJ (2003, 5.2), Knebel (2013, 4.3)

Win (2): Lance Lynn (2008, 15.1), Joey Gallo (2012, 7.0)

So you've got 10 guys who provided zilch or worse & 3 guys who provided similar value against only 2 guys who produced more value than Alex likely projects to provide.

I'm guessing the front office has performed much more comprehensive versions of this exercise & the results probably came back that three years of Claudio had a much higher likelihood of providing positive value than the 39th pick in any draft.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#34

Posted: May 19, 2019, 12:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6108
Of the guys that MLB.com has in their 25-50 range, Gunnar Henderson is by far my favorite. Future 3B to play along side of Turang, good LH bat. Greg Jones is intriguing, assuming they move him to CF. Could easily see the Brewers being in on Maurice Hampton. Wouldn't be upset with Michael Busch.

In the 2nd round I like prep arms Jimmy Lewis, Andrew Dalquist, and Jack Kochanowicz. Dalquist sounds a bit Freddy Peralta-ish with two and four-seamers and extension that creates deception. Kochanowicz supposedly has a great spin rate on his curveball.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#35

Posted: May 21, 2019, 11:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18717
sveumrules said:
A Swing and A Drive said:
Would rather have Pick #39 than Alex Claudio but what can you do...


Claudio posted 3.7 fWAR/4.8 bWAR in the three seasons before we acquired him & likely projects to produce similar value over the three years of control we have.

For comparison, here are the fifteen #39 picks from 2000-14...

Negative WAR (3): David Huff (2006, -1.8), Anthony Ranaudo (2010, -1.5), Connor Joe (2014, -0.1).

No MLB (7): Chad Hawkins (2000), Wyatt Allen (2001), Jay Rainville (2004), Hank Sanchez (2005), James Adkins (2007), Kentrail Davis (2009), Larry Greene (2011).

Push (3): Mark Teahan (2002, 2 .6), TGJ (2003, 5.2), Knebel (2013, 4.3)

Win (2): Lance Lynn (2008, 15.1), Joey Gallo (2012, 7.0)

So you've got 10 guys who provided zilch or worse & 3 guys who provided similar value against only 2 guys who produced more value than Alex likely projects to provide.

I'm guessing the front office has performed much more comprehensive versions of this exercise & the results probably came back that three years of Claudio had a much higher likelihood of providing positive value than the 39th pick in any draft.


Okay. Now what about all the guys after 39? And a lot of us felt 39 could have been included in a package that brought something better than a LOOGY.

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#36

Posted: May 22, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
Posts: 3896
trwi7 said:

Okay. Now what about all the guys after 39? And a lot of us felt 39 could have been included in a package that brought something better than a LOOGY.



Or the money we lost that we could have used to take a flier or two.

And I really don't care what stats you throw up there, Claudio is not in the same league as Knebel. I remember there were the stats floating around trying to show how he was comparable to Kimbrel, Knebel, and Jeffress. He's a soft-tossing lefty who played for a bad team.

I'm not going to argue the merits of WAR because it's a great tool, but it's not flawless. I hated trading the 39th pick for a guy like Claudio when we did it and watching him pitch for a half makes it far worse.

Give me Dan Jennings, the 39th pick and the slot money that comes with that every day....and I'm sure Stearns would do the same if he could go back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#37

Posted: May 22, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
User avatar

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Posts: 12394
This is being regarded by some as a historically bad draft class. With that in mind, this might actually be the best year to give up the 39th pick for a sure thing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#38

Posted: May 22, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2418
HiAndTight said:
trwi7 said:

Okay. Now what about all the guys after 39? And a lot of us felt 39 could have been included in a package that brought something better than a LOOGY.



Or the money we lost that we could have used to take a flier or two.

And I really don't care what stats you throw up there, Claudio is not in the same league as Knebel. I remember there were the stats floating around trying to show how he was comparable to Kimbrel, Knebel, and Jeffress. He's a soft-tossing lefty who played for a bad team.

I'm not going to argue the merits of WAR because it's a great tool, but it's not flawless. I hated trading the 39th pick for a guy like Claudio when we did it and watching him pitch for a half makes it far worse.

Give me Dan Jennings, the 39th pick and the slot money that comes with that every day....and I'm sure Stearns would do the same if he could go back.


Sure, some picks turn out after 39, but far more bust. I just looked at #39 because that's the pick we gave up. Again, I'm sure the front office has performed much more comprehensive versions of the exercise than the one I just did on a message board & determined that the certainty provided by Claudio over the next three years is more valuable to a team in the midst of their competitive window than a pick around the #39 range in any draft, & maybe even especially this one if it considered weak like AndThat said. I'd also imagine if they were intent on moving the #39 pick for that reason that they shopped it around & though Claudio was the best of the possible returns.

Dan Jennings? The one that had a 13.50 ERA with the Nats before he got sent down to AAA & is currently in designation limbo?

There is no doubt that Knebel is a more talented pitcher than Claudio, that is why he was drafted higher & has been more highly regarded throughout their careers. & yet, over 2016-2018 Knebel had 4.1fWAR/3.7 bWAR compared to 3.7 fWAR/4.8bWAR for Claudio. So there production has been comparable & Claudio will certainly outproduce Knebel this year.

We have Claudio for three years. I highly doubt Stearns has buyer's remorse when Alex still has almost 90% of his tenure as a Brewer still remaining.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#39

Posted: May 22, 2019, 8:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6108
trwi7 said:
Okay. Now what about all the guys after 39?

Every year there will be players drafted after #39 who go on to have very productive major league careers. That is not the question; the question is the probability of that pick becoming a productive major leaguer, and that probability does not increase after pick #39. The probability decreases.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Draft
#40

Posted: May 24, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3333
Any Brewers-specific draft rumors, rather than rehashing the (extremely wrong) argument that trading for Claudio was foolish?

Seems awfully quiet this year with the draft just over a week away. Though I guess picking as low as we are there's really no way of predicting who we are targeting.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 100 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test