LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 108 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Offline  2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Posted: June 03, 2019, 8:20 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers' picks from rounds 6 through 20. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

Please use the in-draft thread to talk about the picks, similar to a game thread.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
8s9 seconds ago
6 (193): @Brewers select Louisville (KY) P Nick Bennett. https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/drafted/team/brewers … #MLBDraft

Bats: L
Class: 4YR JR
Height: 6' 4
Pick Value: $244.90k
Throws: L
DOB: 09/01/97
Weight: 210
Bennett’s pitchability likely outpaces his stuff, a0is heater hovers in the high 80s -- occasionally touching 93 mph -- and his curveball and changeup each rate as average at best. But the southpaw competes, showing an ability to throw for strikes and limit walks for Louisville.

Jeff ellis
@jeffMLBdraft
2m2 minutes ago
More
I have been a Nick Bennett fan since high school. Not a lot of guys go to Louisville and step right into the rotation. He has consistently kept his walks low and missed some bats. Lousiville produces great talent in general. Bennett's weird HR spike hurt his value this year.

jeff ellis
@jeffMLBdraft
1m1 minute ago
I had Bennett in the first in my first mock, this is a great buy-low good value here. Potential back end lefty with his control should be no worse than a Loogy

Brian Sakowski
@B_Sakowski_PG
18s19 seconds ago
Brewers take Nick Bennett from Louisville, who we had valued higher than this. Solid arsenal across the board, chance for 3 55's, command/mechanical profile need to get better but like the value here

Last edited by TheJumpAround on June 04, 2019, 2:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:01 PM Post
So 5 college players to start out. The 2nd rounder is a bit of a project but the rest seem to have at least a decent amount of polish and figure to be relatively quick movers if successful. Does anyone think maybe they aren't targeting best available and are trying to get players more likely to help the big league club quickly?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:01 PM Post
Concern: We don't have any projectable lefties in the upper portions of our system

Answer: Let's just draft every college draft-eligible lefty!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
All your LHP and C are belong to us.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:39 PM Post
MLB Draft Tracker
Verified account
@MLBDraftTracker
13s14 seconds ago
7 (223): @Brewers select Texas Tech (TX) CF Gabe Holt. https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/drafted/team/brewers … #MLBDraft

Bats: L
Class: 4YR SO
Height: 5' 10
Pick Value: $192.90k
Throws: R
DOB: 01/07/98
Weight: 170
While he lacks power, Holt is a disciplined hitter with solid contact skills and excellent speed, and he has spent his first two seasons at Texas Tech as the team’s regular leadoff man. Holt still has major strides to make on defense, however, as his ability to run hasn’t translated to a strong performance on that side of the ball after he transitioned from second base to the outfield late in his freshman year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
Gabe Holt appears to have a nice combination of speed and hit for contact ability. He was ranked BA's #121 overall prospect, and is a draft eligible sophomore. Hopefully the Brewers are able to sign him, he would be an exciting prospect to watch develop.

Here is the BA write-up:

Gabe Holt
Texas Tech OF/2B
Notes:
Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 170 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Scouting Report: Holt took over as Texas Tech’s leadoff hitter from the first game of his freshman season and has been a steady presence as the Red Raiders’ table-setter ever since. He’s well-suited for the role as his ground-ball and line-drive approach relies on spreading the ball to all fields. Once he makes contact, his plus-plus speed and aggressive baserunning makes him a threat to always take the extra base. He’ll even turn grounders through the infield into doubles if the outfielders don’t charge aggressively enough. While Holt’s speed is easily his best tool, he has a chance to be an above-average hitter thanks to quick hands and a solid understanding of the strike zone. His power and his power potential are quite limited. His swing is not generally geared to driving the ball over the wall, as he has very little load. That’s probably smart because the 5-foot-10, 170-pounder doesn’t really have the size or strength to hit more than 5-10 home runs a year. Holt is an excellent basestealer who could top 60 steals in his first two seasons at Texas Tech. Defensively, Holt has yet to find a true home. He was Texas Tech’s second baseman for much of his freshman season, but he’s below-average there and will need to improve his actions and soften his hands to play there in pro ball. He’s spent most of the past year and a half in right field, but his routes and reads leave much to be desired. There is some belief among scouts that he could end up being better in center field as the reads of fly balls off the bat are easier. This year, he has spent a little time in center field and has even filled in at shortstop, although he didn’t look comfortable there. Holt’s profile won’t sell every team, as he lacks power and has no clear defensive position, but he can run and get on base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:57 PM Post
The Brewers’ 6th and 7th round picks (Bennett and Holt) are my two favorite of their draft this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:12 PM Post
I like that they seem to have had a plan to deal with the lost picks and low bonus pool and have executed it so far. Seems like Kelly and Holt may be the only difficult signs and above slot playerst. Small is my favorite. Like having a lefty with a funky delivery who can locate his pitches and strike people out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:14 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
I like that they seem to have had a plan to deal with the lost picks and low bonus pool and have executed it so far. Seems like Kelly and Holt may be the only difficult signs and above slot players. Also drafting advanced players will get them through the system quicker. I agree on Bennett and Holt as well, but I do like Small. Like having a lefty with a funky delivery who can locate his pitches and strike people out.

I agree with this. Is Clayton Kershaw too aggressive a comp? The first time I saw his video I couldn't help but see some Kershaw in him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:20 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Brian Sakowski
@B_Sakowski_PG
8s8 seconds ago
More
Brewers taking Texas SS David Hamilton here in the 8th. Interesting play, Hamilton tore his achilles preseason, plus athlete/runner when healthy, high-end defender, offense had made strides. If healthy he's much higher than this

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
shanedog19 said:
Is Clayton Kershaw too aggressive a comp? The first time I saw his video I couldn't help but see some Kershaw in him.

Well yes, it's definitely too aggressive. That being said, this does exist in the universe: Twitter Link

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
It seems like the Brewers are cluster drafting college player profiles... left-handed pitchers, catchers, and speedy infielders.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:40 PM Post
Eye Black said:
shanedog19 said:
Is Clayton Kershaw too aggressive a comp? The first time I saw his video I couldn't help but see some Kershaw in him.

Well yes, it's definitely too aggressive. That being said, this does exist in the universe: Twitter Link

That is awesome! Mechanics are nearly identically

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:47 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I’ll have the draft signing thread updated in a few hours, so the 9th/10th round picks won’t show right away.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:56 PM Post
Evan Closky
@EvanClosky
28m28 minutes ago
In the 8th round (253rd overall), the @Brewers select David Hamilton out of Texas. The San Marcos HS product was sidelined the entire year with a torn achilles. He was an All-Big 12 2nd teamer last season with a .400+ OBP. If he signs, could be with Missions down the road.

Taylor Blake Ward
@TaylorBlakeWard
35m35 minutes ago
David Hamilton is great gamble, had first-day talk coming into season but injury has taken him out for lengthy amount of time, elite athlete who can stick at shortstop #Brewers

Rasmussen 2.0....calling it now if we get him signed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
9 (283): @Brewers select Clovis HS (CA) C Darrien Miller. https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/drafted/team/brewers … #MLBDraft

Sam Monroy
@sammonroy
May 28
Darrien Miller....the swing resembles the left-handed swing of Mark Teixeira....in a draft light on catchers someone is going to pop him. Undersized but I’m buying the bat. #mlbdraft19 – at Los Angeles

Clovis High Baseball
@CloHighBaseball
May 30
Congrats to the 2019 @TRACBASEBALL Sliver Slugger Award Darrien Miller. Darrien hit .398 with 35 hits 6 doubles 2 triples 3 Home Runs 19 RBI’s and 36 rbis.

Brian Sakowski
@B_Sakowski_PG
1m1 minute ago
Brewers take Darrien Miller, an under-the-radar prep C from NorCal. Smooth lefthanded swing, scouts like the hit tool projection, should grow into some more power, solid athlete behind the plate, unsure if he'll stick there

PBR Northern CA
@Clemmens_PBR
4m4 minutes ago
C Darrien Miller selected in 9th round by @Brewers, he's an outstanding LHH catcher we saw quite a bit of @easterclassic and part of championship @CloHighBaseball team in @cifcs @TRACBASEBALL

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:42 PM Post
Taylor Floyd, RHP, Texas Tech in the 10th. Exclusively out of the bullpen this year, but good numbers - 45 IP, 39 H, 1 HR, 19 BB... aaaand 72 K. Looks like a really good value for the 10th round.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:49 PM Post
8 college & 1 high school. Under Johnson they have gone high school pretty heavy in 11-19 so we will have to wait & see.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:53 PM Post
I’m psyched beyond comprehension with these 9 picks, I just hope we can sign em all. If so, this could be a draft that helps our next 3 year window big time.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 108 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test