LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 03, 2019, 10:12 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Love the Kelly pick. Without a huge bonus pool, this is the kind of upside risk the Brewers needed to take at least once.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2019, 10:41 PM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:
Prep righty Matt Allen is still available. He has frontline stuff and looks to have slipped a bit. I wonder if there is some signability concerns. If not the case, he would be a great pick for the Brewers.

Matthew Allan is probably slipping, because he supposedly told teams it would likely take $4M to get him to sign, and forgo his college commitment. Same with Jack Leiter. Leiter said he's going to college, unless drafted early by the NYY.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 12:19 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Ethan Small’s major at Mississippi State is kinesiology. That’s outstanding.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:13 AM Post
trwi7 said:

No it’s not. We have basically nothing to spend so taking a high school player that we might really like just might not be an option because we could be totally screwed if he doesn’t sign or changes his mind and demands much more than he previously indicated.

I doubt the reason you gave factors into their decision making. Beyond the fact that the pick is protected so they aren’t screwed, very few players are going to get cold feet when their bonus demand is met and the millions are on the table. Now trying to figure out if they will drop their demands is another story, but an overslot signing can be made pretty easy by mixing in seniors in rounds 6-10.
Certainly bonus demand is a factor if all other things are equal, but there isn’t enough evidence that is the deciding factor here. There is a reasonable chance that Small is the top player on their board.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:30 AM Post
Any idea how much could possibly be saved with where these guys were projected versus where they were selected?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:40 AM Post
Small is a great pick for 3 reasons:

1.) Safety > high floor pick, at worst # 4/5 or usable pen arm.

2.) Upside > I think it’s reasonable to think he will re-gain more Velo as more time passes from his tj.

3.) underslot > saving money here to get more talent 4-10.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:42 AM Post
brooks_quichenick said:

Check out the kid sitting in the front row. Already knows it's going to be a K before the 3rd pitch is delivered [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
Couple of questions this morning:

When does day 2 of the draft begin?

I know we don't pick for awhile, but are there some names that we should be keeping an eye on for our next pick at #133? We've done well in recent years with some of these round 3-10 picks, so I'm hoping we might find some more gems on day 2 here today.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:01 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Draft re-starts at 11:30 central.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:04 AM Post
madtownhawk said:
Couple of questions this morning:

When does day 2 of the draft begin?

I know we don't pick for awhile, but are there some names that we should be keeping an eye on for our next pick at #133? We've done well in recent years with some of these round 3-10 picks, so I'm hoping we might find some more gems on day 2 here today.

I'm hoping for Tyler Callihan to slip to 133...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:17 AM Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the chances pretty much zilch that Callihan would sign as a 4th round pick? If so, why are you hoping we take him in that spot. Seems likely that it would be a wasted pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:20 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Yah, it is extremely doubtful that the Brewers would have enough bonus pool space to sign Callihan at 133, if he's even still there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs Day 1 Draft Review is a nice recap of each team's collection of picks.

For having the smallest bonus pool for the entire draft and only two day one selections (#42 and #69), I think the Red Sox did a nice job. I will be surprised if at least one of their two picks doesn't pan out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 9:57 AM Post
My guy for our next pick is OF Jordan Brewer. Not just the right name, he had a big junior year at Michigan after being at a juco. Athletic and could still be on the rise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 10:31 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Kelly reads like a left-handed Derrick Turnbow...

AKA Hader 2.0. A bit of development and he could be quick moving bullpen arm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 10:33 AM Post
Eye Black said:
FanGraphs Day 1 Draft Review is a nice recap of each team's collection of picks.

For having the smallest bonus pool for the entire draft and only two day one selections (#42 and #69), I think the Red Sox did a nice job. I will be surprised if at least one of their two picks doesn't pan out.

Wish the Crew was able to rack up seven picks in the first day...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 10:56 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Wish the Crew was able to rack up seven picks in the first day...

It makes draft day more fun, but a lot of bad things have to happen to have 7 picks in the first day. For the Brewers that would have been something like, 1.) Not being able to sign Turang last year, 2.) Not signing Grandal, 3.) Not trading for Claudio (of course that's only questionably a bad thing), 4.) Having a couple QO-caliber players, like Yelich and Hader, up for FA and losing them

I get what you're saying, but realistically, we're probably doing better if we're not in that scenario.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 11:18 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Callihan went at 85 to the Reds.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 11:48 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Never Outhustled said:
My guy for our next pick is OF Jordan Brewer. Not just the right name, he had a big junior year at Michigan after being at a juco. Athletic and could still be on the rise.

Brewer picked by the Astros at 106.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 11:52 AM Post
I wish the draft would move this quickly in the first couple of rounds. There's no reason it shouldn't with picks not being able to be traded. Guess MLB Network just really thinks we care about what Harold Reynolds and Eric Byrnes have to say about them.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test