LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 04, 2019, 12:24 PM Post
Brewers select.....

Nick Kahle | Rank: 131
School: Washington Year: Junior
Position: C Age: 21 DOB: 2/28/1998
Bats: R Throws: R Height: 5'10" Weight: 210 lb.
Previously drafted: Never
WATCH
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 35 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

When Kahle first got to the University of Washington after playing his high school ball in Southern California in 2017, he got to learn under the wing of Joey Morgan, who ended up being a third-round pick of the Tigers that June. Kahle's been the starter since, and while he might not surpass his predecessor in terms of when he gets taken, he's had a tremendous junior season to raise his stock.

Kahle has been hitting with a lot of confidence all spring, giving scouts hope he'll hit for average at the next level. He's shown the ability to catch up to good fastballs with solid bat speed and recognizes breaking stuff well, which he's gotten a lot of as teams have pitched around him. He tends to show mostly gap power, but he does stay inside the ball well and shows some ability to turn on pitches for some home run power. Short and stocky, Kahle is a below-average runner and doesn't have that much agility behind the plate. He has improved his receiving and blocks well, and while his arm is fringy strength-wise, it's accurate.

Teams thinking about taking Kahle early will be buying the bat and believing it will play as a pro. If it does, he has the chance to play a long time, with a floor as a very good backup and the chance to be a solid regular if everything clicks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
Carlos Collazo
Verified account
@CarlosACollazo
22m22 minutes ago
We ranked Nick Kahle 131 and the #Brewers took him 133. So close. Good approach at the dish, but mixed reviews on his defense. Some like it and some are more skeptical.
#MLBDraft

Taylor Blake Ward
@TaylorBlakeWard
24m24 minutes ago
Nick Kahle has had strong leadership qualities since high school where he was teammates with Blake Rutherford, can stick behind plate and hit his way into backup role at minimum #Brewers

Dan Zielinski III
@DanZielinski3
21m21 minutes ago
More Dan Zielinski III Retweeted MLB Draft Tracker
Brewers draft Washington catcher Nick Kahle. He's an bat-first catcher with a gap-to-gap approach. He needs to refine his defensive tools but should stick behind the plate.

Kyler Peterson
@KPeterson813
22m22 minutes ago
With their 4th round pick, the @Brewers select C, Nick Kahle. Stocky catcher that has had strong spring. 59 BB to 26 K at Washington. #MLBDraft #Brewers

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 12:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Seems like this is a high floor kid. Most project him to be a backup at worst. Solid pick.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:03 PM Post
Brewers select....

Thomas Dillard | Rank: 114
School: Mississippi Year: Junior
Position: OF Age: 18 DOB: 04/30/2001
Bats: S Throws: R Height: 6'0" Weight: 235 lb.

WATCH
Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 50 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

Dillard led all national high school players with 16 homers as a senior in 2016 -- finishing one ahead of Kyle Muller, who signed with the Braves for $2.5 million as a pitcher. He went undrafted because he was strongly committed to Mississippi and lacked an obvious position. Three years later scouts still aren't sure where he fits best, but he's a switch-hitter who has hit for power in the Southeastern Conference and draws some "poor man's Kyle Schwarber" comparisons.

Dillard generates impressive raw pop with a combination of bat speed, strength and loft in his swing. He has improved his plate discipline and contact rate throughout his college career and has a chance to hit for average as well. Though he has below-average speed, he's aggressive on the bases and has good feel for picking spots to steal.

Dillard has played mostly left field at Mississippi, showing at least average arm strength but limited range. The hope is that he can become an adequate defender in left, but he could wind up at first base or DH. He was a catcher in high school and has seen brief action behind the plate for the Rebels, though the consensus is that he doesn't receive well enough to do so in pro ball.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:06 PM Post
Vinnie Cervino
@vcervinoPG
19s20 seconds ago
Thomas Dillard bangs. Performed for three years at Ole Miss, good hit/pop combo from both sides. Was announced as a catcher but likely won't stick. Defensive home is biggest liability. #Brewers

Zack Silverman
@ZackMatt4
30s31 seconds ago
Brewers are announcing Thomas Dillard as a catcher. If that works out, however unlikely, could be tremendous value at pick 163. Gets a lot of power from a whippy swing, performed well for Ole Miss though numbers fell off in SEC play. High ceiling if things break just right

Tom Mussa
@tom_mussa
4m4 minutes ago
Interesting tidbit about Thomas Dillard, although he is has a large frame of 6’ 230, dont let his size fool you. Dillard last year had 17 SB with 13 SB this year. Dude has some sneaky speed. Mix that with his good power and he might be something. Defense is a liability though.

Last edited by TheJumpAround on June 04, 2019, 1:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:07 PM Post
Kahle really excites me, although how you fit him in a catcher situation with Henry, Feliciano, and Fry is a fair question.

Mac McDowell's days have to be numbered.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:09 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Clancy, did Max injure you personally?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:13 PM Post
TheJumpAround said:
Brewers select....

Thomas Dillard | Rank: 114
School: Mississippi Year: Junior
Position: OF Age: 18 DOB: 04/30/2001
Bats: S Throws: R Height: 6'0" Weight: 235 lb.

WATCH
Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 50 | Field: 40 | Overall: 45

Dillard led all national high school players with 16 homers as a senior in 2016 -- finishing one ahead of Kyle Muller, who signed with the Braves for $2.5 million as a pitcher. He went undrafted because he was strongly committed to Mississippi and lacked an obvious position. Three years later scouts still aren't sure where he fits best, but he's a switch-hitter who has hit for power in the Southeastern Conference and draws some "poor man's Kyle Schwarber" comparisons.

Dillard generates impressive raw pop with a combination of bat speed, strength and loft in his swing. He has improved his plate discipline and contact rate throughout his college career and has a chance to hit for average as well. Though he has below-average speed, he's aggressive on the bases and has good feel for picking spots to steal.

Dillard has played mostly left field at Mississippi, showing at least average arm strength but limited range. The hope is that he can become an adequate defender in left, but he could wind up at first base or DH. He was a catcher in high school and has seen brief action behind the plate for the Rebels, though the consensus is that he doesn't receive well enough to do so in pro ball.

i was wondering how he could be a 4th year JR and be born in 01. Birthday is in 1997, which makes more sense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:14 PM Post
And That said:

No, but I look at him, his good-field no-hit profile, and I think his ceiling is far lower than that of Feliciano, Henry, and Fry. He loses out in the numbers game. I'd rather take my chances with Cooper Hummel behind the plate. Now, there's also Kahle and Thomas Dillard in the mix. Granted Hummel and Dillard may be bench types who are OF/1B/C types, but I just don't see where McDowell fits.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:24 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
McDowell has a career 100 wRC+, which means he's been an exactly average hitter, which combined with above average defense, is actually really valuable at the catcher position. Hummel is not a catcher - he doesn't have the arm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 1:40 PM Post
clancyphile said:
And That said:

No, but I look at him, his good-field no-hit profile, and I think his ceiling is far lower than that of Feliciano, Henry, and Fry. He loses out in the numbers game. I'd rather take my chances with Cooper Hummel behind the plate. Now, there's also Kahle and Thomas Dillard in the mix. Granted Hummel and Dillard may be bench types who are OF/1B/C types, but I just don't see where McDowell fits.

Martin Maldonado has accumulated about 12 WAR in his career. Just saying.

Also, Hummel and McDowell have fairly similar stats this season, basically if Hummel had one fewer home run it would be even.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 2:38 PM Post
So we got ourselves a Tom Dillard to replace Tim.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 3:29 PM Post
McDowell fits because of his stellar defense & benefit he offers team with helping the pitchers. He doesn’t K and gets walks. His bat plays enough to keep him an asset. Will he ever break into majors... eh not unless bat picks up but good system catcher.

Doubt Dillard stays behind plate. Let his bat play. Hat trying to teach a college advance bat how to catch. If he was a young high school kid, sure, but learning curve is big for catcher & takes away time from focusing on his biggest asset.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:09 PM Post
https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/ ... 41249?s=21

#Brewers 1st rounder Ethan Small revealed how he had 160 Ks: “I’m only 6-3 but my arms could sit on a 6-6 dude. I have extremely long arms and really big hands. My extension on my fastball is about a foot closer than most people’s. So my 93 (mph) is looking more like 95-96."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 4:17 PM Post
Kahle had a .511 OBP last year. 59 BB to 26 K; 25% BB rate.

That's pretty impressive.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
Brewers do have a type. Up the middle and professional approach. All their offensive picks walk more than they k.

Shortstop: Hamilton: .408 OBP 16% BB to 15% K
Center Field: Holt: .417 OPS 13% BB to 9% K
Catcher: Dillard: .450 OPS 20% BB to 17% K
Catcher: Kahle: .508 OPS 26% BB to 12% K
Catcher: Miller: .573 OPS 23% BB to 8% K

Pitchers also like guys who have ability to rack up Ks regardless of velocity. As they tend to say, fill up the strike zone.
Small: 160Ks over 96 IP. 15K/9 27bb
Kelly: 112ks over 52.2 IP. 19k/9. 37bb
Bennett 73ks over 73.2 IP 9k/9. 30bb
Floyd: 78ks over 50.1 IP 14k/9. 20bbs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Kahle had a .511 OBP last year. 59 BB to 26 K; 25% BB rate.

That's pretty impressive.

A catcher version of Trent Grisham...

Me likey! [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 7:03 AM Post
Personally, I feel like we have been drafting much more tactically and logically the last few years as compared with that death spiral we were in for like a decade.

Ethan Small reminds me of one of those Cardinal type pitchers who ends up being a Lance Lynn or Shelby Miller before the injuries. You just hope you’re not in the Taylor Jungmann or Jed Bradley zone.

Antoine Kelly is a high upside type we’ve been craving. If he puts it together he could be that Triston McKenzie type prospect. I like the move with the catchers and Hamilton is a great pick for the upside he has relative to where he was picked.

I totally get the emphasis on up the middle talent. You get athletes and they can move around. Heck, Gorman Thomas came out as a shortstop.

But, in the future, I hope they work more on 3b. Sure you can get a ss to fill out and play there, but that’s a position that requires an athlete and a certain hit tool. The good 3b can be every bit the unicorn you might see up the middle. And an elite 1b bat never hurt anyone. What they lack in versatility and athleticism can be alleviated by the potential impact to the middle of your order.

We drafted lower and lost a couple of picks so it can be tougher to get a bounty. But you can see a method to the madness the last three or so years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 6:21 PM Post
I like what the Brewers did in this draft, and I'm super impressed with Todd Johnson. I think we'll sign 30+ players out of this draft. I like how we're heavily involved with juco players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 06, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
I'm intrigued by what was done. But I've been burned by all the college hitters that thrived in Helena and failed miserable above that. I will find things to like about the kids this summer, but I will temper my enthusiasm for the future until some guys show results.

Festa, Richardson, Scott, and many others have burned me.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test