LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 08, 2019, 4:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers 1st round draft pick, LHP Ethan Small, is on the mound tonight in the NCAA Super Regionals versus Stanford at 7 PM on ESPNEWS.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 08, 2019, 5:24 PM Post
Jim Callis
Verified account
@jimcallisMLB
23h23 hours ago
2nd-rder Antoine Kelly signs with @Brewers, full slot at No. 65 ($1,025,100). Wabash Valley CC LHP, led NJCAA with 19.1 K/9. 6-ft-6 , comes out easy, up to 98 mph. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 08, 2019, 8:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ethan Small has now thrown a season high 117 pitches through 6 innings. I can’t imagine they will bring him back for the 7th inning, but in college baseball you never know for sure. His line so far is 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO (74 strikes, 43 balls). He has thrown a lot more off-speed pitches tonight than he did during the season (threw 79% fastballs during the season). His fastball has been mostly 89-91 mph.

Only a couple of years removed from TJ surgery, I’m guessing it will be a while until he is throwing a 110+ pitches in pro ball. I’ll be happy for him to move on to the College World Series, but I really hope they don’t ride him into the ground in the process.

Edit: Small did not come back for the 7th inning. They had a lengthy delay after a Mississippi State player collapsed in the dugout with what appeared to be a seizure.

Edit #2: They announced the player with the medical situation was LHP Jack Eagan from Wautoma, WI (also played at Madison College).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2019, 6:24 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
More quotes from Brewers 2nd round signed draft pick and longtime fan of the Crew LHP Antoine Kelly

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2019, 11:38 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Meet Nick Kahle, 4th-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers
He's a catcher from Washington
By Brad Ford, BrewCrewBall.com

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 11, 2019, 3:25 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Ethan Small has now thrown a season high 117 pitches through 6 innings. I can’t imagine they will bring him back for the 7th inning, but in college baseball you never know for sure. His line so far is 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO (74 strikes, 43 balls). He has thrown a lot more off-speed pitches tonight than he did during the season (threw 79% fastballs during the season). His fastball has been mostly 89-91 mph.

Only a couple of years removed from TJ surgery, I’m guessing it will be a while until he is throwing a 110+ pitches in pro ball. I’ll be happy for him to move on to the College World Series, but I really hope they don’t ride him into the ground in the process.

Edit: Small did not come back for the 7th inning. They had a lengthy delay after a Mississippi State player collapsed in the dugout with what appeared to be a seizure.

Edit #2: They announced the player with the medical situation was LHP Jack Eagan from Wautoma, WI (also played at Madison College).

How much work should we expect him to see in the College World Series? In college do they generally stick to the start every 5 days routine like MLB, or could they potentially have this guy pitching on 2-3 days rest and throw most if not all games?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 11, 2019, 8:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
KeithStone53151 said:
How much work should we expect him to see in the College World Series? In college do they generally stick to the start every 5 days routine like MLB, or could they potentially have this guy pitching on 2-3 days rest and throw most if not all games?

I think that does happen in some cases, but it differs by team/coach. During the season, starting pitchers are pretty regularly on a once a week schedule.

Not to say it will be exactly the same this year, but last year Mississippi State played in the College World Series as well. They ultimately played 4 games in 8 days (Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday). Looking at their starting pitchers at the CWS, Ethan Small pitched the first and the fourth games (so both Saturdays). They won their first two games, but had they been in the losers bracket Ethan may have pitched on slightly fewer days rest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2019, 11:59 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Per me, 4th rounder Nick Kahle has signed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:16 AM Post
Jim Callis
Verified account
@jimcallisMLB
12s13 seconds ago
4th-rder Nick Kahle signs with @Brewers for $325k (pick 133 = $422,300). Washington C, hits for average with gap power, improving defensively. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2019, 10:06 AM Post
Eye Black said:
KeithStone53151 said:

I think that does happen in some cases, but it differs by team/coach. During the season, starting pitchers are pretty regularly on a once a week schedule.

Not to say it will be exactly the same this year, but last year Mississippi State played in the College World Series as well. They ultimately played 4 games in 8 days (Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday). Looking at their starting pitchers at the CWS, Ethan Small pitched the first and the fourth games (so both Saturdays). They won their first two games, but had they been in the losers bracket Ethan may have pitched on slightly fewer days rest.

I didn't watch, but I see Small through 102 pitches in a winning effort. Not the greatest line. Miss St plays tonight, have to assume zero chance he would pitch today. Next game then would either be Thursday if they lose or Friday if they win. I would think he would pitch the next game regardless of win or loss today.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
Omaha.com said:
McDonnell is expected to send Nick Bennett to the mound as Louisville’s starting pitcher while JT Ginn will start for the Bulldogs.

Article
Looks like Small is not expected to start tonight on short rest, but Brewers' 6th round pick will got for Louisville. Ginn is a former first rounder of the Dodgers who did not sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2019, 11:11 AM Post
It is interesting to see that the Brewers have already signed more picks this year than last, with probably 6-8 more to sign. This year's draft looked like a traditional "Moneyball" draft.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Kind of odd how many #11-20 have signed and how few #1-10 have signed. Normally, it seems that we are assured the top 10 rounds will sign and have more difficulty convincing the 11-20 rounds to sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 3:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/ ... small.html

Small signed per MLB Traderumors

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 3:17 PM Post
Small and Kahle signed underslot, Kelly at slot. Brewers saving just under 800K. id hope more of 4-10 get signed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 3:45 PM Post
If you add in the 5% teams can go overslot, I wouldn't think they would have any problem signing their top 18.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
Brewers expect to sign all of their top 10 picks

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 41920?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 7:18 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Brewers expect to sign all of their top 10 picks

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 41920?s=21

Looking ahead for most of the rest of the top 10, we should be able to get at right around slot. Hamilton & Miller are the only 2 overslot candidates I see. Love Hamilton getting into the mix. Could have been 1-3rd round guy if not for injuries. Could be steal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
Nick Bennett
Officially a part of the #BrewCrew
Thank you lord
@Nickbennett_888
Following Following @Nickbennett_888

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
Small will be going to Appleton after a few weeks in Arizona to get ready! Going to have to get up their for a few of his starts!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test