LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 25, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
Small was really a fun interview. Talked through the analytics of his pitching approach in a way I’d have to imagine basically everyone could understand. Seemed comfortable and like an all around cool guy to be around. Definitely excited to see how quickly he could potentially move through the system.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 25, 2019, 8:14 PM Post
Brilliant draft.

6-7 LHP’s > weakness to strength. Lots of upside with some and pitchability with others.

2-3 more good hitting catchers to add to Nottingham Freitas Feliciano Henry Fry.

Good up the middle defenders with speed, athleticism and hit tools.

And some will help the big club sooner rather than later with most being College pics.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Brilliant draft.

6-7 LHP’s > weakness to strength. Lots of upside with some and pitchability with others.

2-3 more good hitting catchers to add to Nottingham Freitas Feliciano Henry Fry.

And some will help the big club sooner rather than later with most being College pics.

That's one of those things you need to wait about 6 years at best to determine in baseball. A shortage of lefties doesn't mean you draft a bunch of lefties per say. Though if one from the SEC who strikes out 4 guys per inning falls to you, then OK.

These drafts seem duller to me...they have the last few years at the time, but they've been far more productive than when they got flashy, higher upside young prep arms.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2019, 9:15 AM Post
Are there any unsigned players that anyone suspects will take a significantly overslot signing bonus? We have only one high schooler left in the top 10, I tend to think the college guys usually sign either a bit under slot or at slot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2019, 10:17 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Holt's bonus is robably going to be around $250k over the slot.

If the Brewers sign any of Myles (20), Rustad (23), or Torres (24), and signing at least one of them seems likely, any of those high schoolers will get overslot bonuses.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2019, 11:34 AM Post
Holt will likely be overslot. Hamilton, despite the injury, may also go overslot, as he could likely get a redshirt year and come back to Texas as a redshirt junior. I would think Dillard, Bennett, Floyd, and Gillis sign without taking more of the current roughly $1M to go overslot. The question is will there be enough left to get one of the high school shortstops or Rustad.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
5th rounder from Ole Miss, catcher Thomas Dillard has signed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 1:27 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
Holt will likely be overslot. Hamilton, despite the injury, may also go overslot, as he could likely get a redshirt year and come back to Texas as a redshirt junior. I would think Dillard, Bennett, Floyd, and Gillis sign without taking more of the current roughly $1M to go overslot. The question is will there be enough left to get one of the high school shortstops or Rustad.

I thought they had overslot deal worked out with Holt, then he broke his thumb in the series. So maybe we get a discount now? Really like the speed, lefty bat and bat to ball skills.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
Jim Callis
Verified account
@jimcallisMLB
46m46 minutes ago
9th-rder Darrien Miller signs with @Brewers for $297,500 (pick 283 value = $149,500). California HS C, hitting ability, arm strength, athletic for position. New Mexico recruit. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 6:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
Via Jim Callis...

5th-rder Thomas Dillard signs with @Brewers for $400k (pick 163 value = $315,400). Mississippi C/OF, raw power & patient approach, some scouts see some parallels to Kyle Schwarber.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
Considering no 3rd round pick and little $, this draft is becoming more special with each signing. Impressive job by Johnson & co.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2019, 11:15 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Considering no 3rd round pick and little $, this draft is becoming more special with each signing. Impressive job by Johnson & co.

I’ll wait until they reach A+ before I get too excited. Too many draft picks I liked didn’t make it past A ball

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 6:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I’ll wait until they reach A+ before I get too excited. Too many draft picks I liked didn’t make it past A ball

Doug you've been here as long as I have. The whole board was giddy about Lou Palmisano.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 03, 2019, 9:32 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Brilliant draft.

And they seem to be targeting OFs with their international signings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 03, 2019, 11:22 AM Post
homer said:
DHonks said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Doug you've been here as long as I have. The whole board was giddy about Lou Palmisano.

Yep, Captain Lou, Angel Salome, Kade Johnson. I even liked following Fry before he was traded. I fell for some C/OF named Belcher, Bill Scott, Drew Anderson, Grant Richardson, Tony Festa, Ryan Poe, Jose Mieses, Mike Jones, JM Gold, Ben Hendrickson, Paul Stewart, etc. I enjoy following the kids now, but I'm much more cautious. I can't go declaring this a special draft like brew crew 92...we won't know for 4-6 years. oops, forgot future hall of fame Christian Guerrero

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2019, 11:59 AM Post
After all of the Top 10 round picks have signed ( https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/all/team/brewers ), the $$ looks something like:
Bonus Value: 5.150M; additional 5% without further penalty: 257.5K = total of 5.4075M
Top 10 Round Picks signed for 5.086M; 5.4075 - 5.086 = 321.5K
If they don't go overslot to sign Gillis @ 13, wonder if the 321.5K wiggle room + 125k "slot" = 446.5K would be enough to sign (23) Carter Rustad?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
think you might be right another arm will be added either 13 or 23

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2019, 5:53 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Brilliant draft.

That's one of those things you need to wait about 6 years at best to determine in baseball. A shortage of lefties doesn't mean you draft a bunch of lefties per say. Though if one from the SEC who strikes out 4 guys per inning falls to you, then OK.

These drafts seem duller to me...they have the last few years at the time, but they've been far more productive than when they got flashy, higher upside young prep arms.

The brewers have already stated, they didn’t have a plan of drafting LHP, the lefty’s just happened to be there when the crew made their picks. And yes I think we all know it takes years for players to develop or not, thus the 6 year time frame, but based upon Johnson’s previous two drafts, I see a uniqueness in his profile. The pitchability factor, deception, etc. then with the hitters, recognizing the hit tool over power, bat to ball, on base %. Speed and good defense up the middle, this is a great under the radar, but tremendous upside type draft. I’m predicting, when looking back 6 years from now, One of the best brewer drafts ever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2019, 7:34 PM Post
Any news on where Holt and Hamilton will be playing? I have not seen where they were assigned to yet. For that matter, #13 Gillis and #32 Figueroa have not pitched yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 23, 2019, 8:01 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Hamilton is still rehabbing his Achilles injury. He won't play this year. Holt has a broken thumb, not sure if he'll play this year or not.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test