LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: March 29, 2020, 8:20 PM Post
The primary selling point for the Brewers with undrafted players may be the current perception that their farm system is one of the weakest in baseball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 10:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
The NCAA granted another year of eligibility to college baseball players, which seems like it might have massive implications for the draft and current HS and college players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 3:30 PM Post
Likely MLB knew this was coming and it led into their decision earlier. Unless colleges have an issue with having these players come back it gives every college player more leverage than they had before (the decision) and probably makes the majority of "undrafted" signings players who were seniors this year (which will be a fairly small number).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 3:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
I saw that the extra year does not guarantee any support for those coming back. So college seniors may not have a scholarship waiting for them if they do try to take that leverage. Interesting wrinkle to the drama.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 4:22 PM Post
People don't realize that college programs are only able to give out 11.7 full scholarships per year spread out over 27 players with each player getting at least a 25% scholarship. Baseball is not a revenue-generating college sport, so the players are not all on "full rides".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 7:06 PM Post
High school kids should flock to Juco this year. With few rounds, Seniors could return, less juniors & Redshirt Sophomores will be on way out, and college teams will just be crowded. There is little reason to sign $20k bonus unless you are a senior & just done with college. Can go to Juco to build up stock with more opportunities to play and decide next season based on draft stay or transfer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2020, 10:04 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
If the draft goes down to five rounds and any UDFA's can only earn $20K, I would stop scouting HS seniors this year and focus on the college ranks. I can't imagine many high schoolers would sign for $20K.

First of all, any scouting will be on old footage.

Secondly, if every team stops going after high school kids, I'm going to hope that some high upside top high school kids are available in the top 5 rounds in spots where they otherwise wouldn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 15, 2020, 9:00 AM Post
https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

New BA Mock Draft for those interested.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2020, 9:21 AM Post
Would someone mind just telling me the name they have at the Brewers selection? Thanks!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2020, 4:46 PM Post
TheJumpAround said:
Would someone mind just telling me the name they have at the Brewers selection? Thanks!

Austin Wells, a catcher from U of Arizona

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 09, 2020, 11:38 AM Post
With the decision by MLB to limit the draft to five rounds and the likelihood that the majority of undrafted signings would be college "senior signs", hopefully the "top player on the board" five times could fill in some organizational weaknesses. Compared to other highly rated farm systems, the Brewers strength in numbers appear to be in younger players, specifically outfielders and catchers. Landing some older pitchers and middle infielders would likely be preferred. Hopefully they can also sell some top "senior signs" on the opportunity joining a lower rated farm system could offer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2020, 12:18 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
With the decision by MLB to limit the draft to five rounds and the likelihood that the majority of undrafted signings would be college "senior signs", hopefully the "top player on the board" five times could fill in some organizational weaknesses. Compared to other highly rated farm systems, the Brewers strength in numbers appear to be in younger players, specifically outfielders and catchers. Landing some older pitchers and middle infielders would likely be preferred. Hopefully they can also sell some top "senior signs" on the opportunity joining a lower rated farm system could offer.

I still prefer drafting BPA position doesn't matter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2020, 1:44 PM Post
BPA is always the best option, but it doesn't hurt if that fills in a void in the organization.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2020, 1:59 PM Post
Anybody in here talking about Luke Little yet from San Jacinto? https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1259089211631767554

Blowing up on social media while throwing over 100 MPH indoor in a bullpen. One clip had him as high as 105 MPH, but mostly 101-103's. Throughout the shortened JUCO season video has him in the 94-98 range. I believe Luke said on Twitter that he will be getting on a Trackman this week to get even more data.

Arms like this don't come around too often, but he definitely looks the part of a reliever. He's 6ft8 so his mechanics just don't look pretty, but to me he has a lot of Andrew Miller in him. Still relatively young so the off-speed pitches are a work in progress. Going to be very, very interesting to see how high a guy like this gets.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2020, 8:32 PM Post
Little has a chance to sneak into the second half of this upcoming draft. I think Roger Clemens also went to San Jacinto.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2020, 1:22 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
Little has a chance to sneak into the second half of this upcoming draft. I think Roger Clemens also went to San Jacinto.

Do you mean the second half of round one or second half of the whole draft, like starting late round 2 thru round 5?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
I would guess the fourth or fifth round for Little, at best.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2020, 10:16 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
I would guess the fourth or fifth round for Little, at best.

Tough to say right now. Little would be getting a ton of attention if the season was happening and he was doing this. Scouts are going to flock down there and see him on Trackman, Rapsodo and get a better read of what he's got. Could give him some serious helium or could keep him in that 100-150 range.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2020, 5:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
Three MLB Mock Drafts released this week:

MLB.com: Mock draft: Callis picks first round of MLB Draft

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

Wilcox also drew first-round interest as a Georgia high schooler two years ago, and he did a better job of harnessing an arsenal with the potential for three plus pitches as a sophomore this spring.

———————————————————————————

Baseball America: MLB Mock Draft - Version 4.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

There’s been some chatter that Wilcox could go closer to his Bulldogs rotation-mate than this, perhaps as high as the 10-15 range. That isn’t a consensus opinion, as there are teams who still think Wilcox is going to be a reliever at the end of the day. Perhaps with a full season, Wilcox would have been able to prove otherwise, as he improved his control tremendously over his first four starts, walking just two batters in 23 innings, compared to 32 strikeouts.

———————————————————————————

The Athletic: Keith Law’s 2020 MLB mock draft: First-round projection 1.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke

Jarvis was draft-eligible as a sophomore last year but wasn’t signable for worth, going in the 37th round to the Yankees. The son of long-time big leaguer Kevin Jarvis came out throwing harder and with better command and control this spring, possibly enough to get himself into the first round — especially if he’s willing to take a discount as a 22.5-year-old junior.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2020, 6:48 PM Post
I think the Brewers go with a HS player in round 1 and I think they go with one of these three:

Pete Crow-Armstrong OF
Ed Howard SS
Tyler Soderstrom C

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test