LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#41

Posted: May 16, 2020, 10:56 AM Post
Posts: 251
I could agree with nate82 that Ed Howard could be the BPA if he is on the board. If you take Soderstrom you do so with the understanding he will likely not catch in the major leagues. He was the backup catcher on his high school team and Jim Callis said the last high school catcher drafted in the first round that caught in MLB and had a WAR of 5+ (not named Mauer) was drafted in 1992 (and later caught with the Brewers).

If/when they draft college pitchers, it will be interested to see if they build off last year's trend of taking strikeout pitchers. Could that be a result of previous drafting of Arnett, Jungmann, Bradley, etc.?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#42

Posted: May 19, 2020, 4:34 AM Post
Posts: 4200
A couple of names that interest me and might still be available:

1) Garrett Crotchet LHP Tennessee
2) Bryce Jarvis RHP Duke
3) Ed Howard SS HS
4) Pete Crowe-Armstrong OF HS
5) Robert Hassell OF HS

The Brewers really need an influx of talent. I hope they don’t get too conservative here.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#43

Posted: May 19, 2020, 6:09 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8689
Eye Black said:
Three MLB Mock Drafts released this week:

MLB.com: Mock draft: Callis picks first round of MLB Draft

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

Wilcox also drew first-round interest as a Georgia high schooler two years ago, and he did a better job of harnessing an arsenal with the potential for three plus pitches as a sophomore this spring.


———————————————————————————

Baseball America: MLB Mock Draft - Version 4.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

There’s been some chatter that Wilcox could go closer to his Bulldogs rotation-mate than this, perhaps as high as the 10-15 range. That isn’t a consensus opinion, as there are teams who still think Wilcox is going to be a reliever at the end of the day. Perhaps with a full season, Wilcox would have been able to prove otherwise, as he improved his control tremendously over his first four starts, walking just two batters in 23 innings, compared to 32 strikeouts.


———————————————————————————

The Athletic: Keith Law’s 2020 MLB mock draft: First-round projection 1.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke

Jarvis was draft-eligible as a sophomore last year but wasn’t signable for worth, going in the 37th round to the Yankees. The son of long-time big leaguer Kevin Jarvis came out throwing harder and with better command and control this spring, possibly enough to get himself into the first round — especially if he’s willing to take a discount as a 22.5-year-old junior.


A third publication in the past week has paired the Brewers with Georgia right-hander Cole Wilcox.

CBS Sports: 2020 MLB Mock Draft: Arizona State slugger Spencer Torkelson goes No. 1 to Tigers

20. Milwaukee Brewers: RHP Cole Wilcox, Georgia ($3,242,900 slot value)

Georgia's rotation will produce two first-round picks this year in Hancock and Wilcox. Wilcox has wicked stuff and command, though he can be very inconsistent from start-to-start. It's worth nothing that, as a draft-eligible sophomore, he has more leverage than the typical draftee. That could push him down even later in the first round as teams seek players they know they can sign quickly and easily. Our R.J. Anderson ranked Wilcox as the No. 30 prospect in the draft class.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#44

Posted: May 24, 2020, 1:58 PM Post
Posts: 2396
Location: Madison, WI
Stearns going with pitchers in round one in back-to-back drafts? I'd still put my money on a hitter. Although, when looking at the field, the pitching at #20 probably does look a little better than the hitting.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take a one-dimensional masher type. I think there will be a need for that type of bat in a couple years and they don't appear to have any "1B of the future" anywhere in the system. Stearns seems to prefer athletic types who could fit at more than one position, but obviously deviated from that a bit when he picked Hiura. I kind of like Austin Wells, the catcher out of Arizona, but would project him more as a first baseman than a catcher (or left fielder). His bat seems to profile well above the normal catcher, but will he hit enough to play 1B in MLB.....I don't know but it sounds like he could very well be the highest upside bat available at #20.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#45

Posted: May 24, 2020, 6:38 PM Post
Posts: 251
It will be interesting to see how teams, including the Brewers, handle the financial end of a five-round draft. Do you try to simply take your BPA that will take your slot value or do you try to maneuver around financially? If you do the former at #20, you probably don't take a college hitter as there appears to be a gap after the top six. If you do the latter maybe you do look to take a college hitter, like a Wells, for $2.5M or so and try to save some money for potentially more difficult signs on the second day.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#46

Posted: May 25, 2020, 6:39 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10330
You build this pitching through the draft.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#47

Posted: May 25, 2020, 8:18 PM Post
Posts: 5230
Eye Black said:
Eye Black said:
Three MLB Mock Drafts released this week:

MLB.com: Mock draft: Callis picks first round of MLB Draft

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

Wilcox also drew first-round interest as a Georgia high schooler two years ago, and he did a better job of harnessing an arsenal with the potential for three plus pitches as a sophomore this spring.


———————————————————————————

Baseball America: MLB Mock Draft - Version 4.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia

There’s been some chatter that Wilcox could go closer to his Bulldogs rotation-mate than this, perhaps as high as the 10-15 range. That isn’t a consensus opinion, as there are teams who still think Wilcox is going to be a reliever at the end of the day. Perhaps with a full season, Wilcox would have been able to prove otherwise, as he improved his control tremendously over his first four starts, walking just two batters in 23 innings, compared to 32 strikeouts.


———————————————————————————

The Athletic: Keith Law’s 2020 MLB mock draft: First-round projection 1.0

Brewers Spoiler Below
[Show] Spoiler
20. Milwaukee Brewers: Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke

Jarvis was draft-eligible as a sophomore last year but wasn’t signable for worth, going in the 37th round to the Yankees. The son of long-time big leaguer Kevin Jarvis came out throwing harder and with better command and control this spring, possibly enough to get himself into the first round — especially if he’s willing to take a discount as a 22.5-year-old junior.


A third publication in the past week has paired the Brewers with Georgia right-hander Cole Wilcox.

CBS Sports: 2020 MLB Mock Draft: Arizona State slugger Spencer Torkelson goes No. 1 to Tigers

20. Milwaukee Brewers: RHP Cole Wilcox, Georgia ($3,242,900 slot value)

Georgia's rotation will produce two first-round picks this year in Hancock and Wilcox. Wilcox has wicked stuff and command, though he can be very inconsistent from start-to-start. It's worth nothing that, as a draft-eligible sophomore, he has more leverage than the typical draftee. That could push him down even later in the first round as teams seek players they know they can sign quickly and easily. Our R.J. Anderson ranked Wilcox as the No. 30 prospect in the draft class.


Reading from the RJ Anderson ranking, I'd have to wonder on Stearns looking for the OFs that could replace Cain. Garrett Mitchell, Pete Crow-Armstrong, and Robert Hassell would sound to be that type of replacement with chances of being there at 20. I'm really not going to get to caught up on who is selected. Seems a number of Catchers are around top 50, many pitchers, a few duo types, not many 1b/3b.

Teams are going to have what? just 5 picks? Oh well some with 6 or 7(Cardinals of course) I don't really see the draft a 2nd round type with 1st pick and then hoping a talent falls that you bundle savings with your 2nd(or 3rd) round pick to sign. I suppose the teams that have the Comp A pick with a top 12 pick for round 2 could try that with the 1st round selection. (KC, SD, Pitt, and Col) It's still a long wait between pick 1 and pick 2. You gotta keep in mind nothing is guaranteed for 2021 playing season. Draftees could miss out on playing before next season's draft. I'd have doubts on a drafted player not signing with any team that selected them to return or go to college. If there's a BPA draft format this has to be the year to just do so.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#48

Posted: May 27, 2020, 3:30 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3331
Looks like FanGraphs has us taking Mississippi State second baseman Justin Foscue who "walked 15 times and struck out just thrice before the shutdown. He’s a multi-year performer at an SEC school and plays a premium position, the kind of player who teams with a strong quantifiable track record gravitate toward." Full mock here...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-mock-draft-mach-one/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#49

Posted: May 27, 2020, 7:54 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6266
Location: Phoenix, AZ
sveumrules said:
Looks like FanGraphs has us taking Mississippi State second baseman Justin Foscue who "walked 15 times and struck out just thrice before the shutdown. He’s a multi-year performer at an SEC school and plays a premium position, the kind of player who teams with a strong quantifiable track record gravitate toward." Full mock here...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-mock-draft-mach-one/


Yuck not really someone I would want the Brewers to be drafting.

If the Brewers are going to go with a college player I would prefer these players over Foscue.

RHP Clayton Beeter
RHP Cade Cavalli
OF Garrett Mitchell

Another player to watch for in HS is Jordan Walker. I think he could stick at 3B and his ceiling would be that of Kris Bryant and his floor is really low so he is a boom or bust type of a player. He has all of the athleticism you would want out of a player the biggest concern is that his bat won't translate and he may not stick at 3B. Even if Walker doesn't stick at 3B he is someone who could make a transition like Braun to the OF.

Garrett Mitchell probably won't be available when the Brewers are picking but if it is between him and Foscue I don't see how the Brewers pass on Mitchell. Mitchell can play all 3 OF positions while Foscue is mostly a 2B/3B player. I don't think he has the arm to play 3B so really he is a 2B only player. While the Brewers drafted Hiura I don't believe Foscue's bat is all that special and it won't make up for the value that Stearns loves.

Clayton Beeter would be interesting as he was a closer last year and the start of this year he was the #1 starter for Texas Tech. Beeter is a question mark and he could be a #1 type pitcher teams are just leery about him as he was a former closer in college and this would have been the first time he would be a starter. He has a mid 90's fastball with a really good curveball. I wouldn't be all that upset if the Brewers went with Beeter with their first pick it would be a gamble but if it pays off you have a top of the rotation starter.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#50

Posted: June 01, 2020, 8:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7011
paul253 said:
A couple of names that interest me and might still be available:

1) Garrett Crotchet LHP Tennessee
2) Bryce Jarvis RHP Duke

Of the names thrown around here, these are the two I like best. I think they go college pitching again. With the shortened season this year there's less mileage on their arm, but more scouting info.

Jarvis trained at Driveline last sumer, Crotchet has some concerns about a shoulder injury otherwise he'd be long gone by the Brewers pick, and Beeter has elite spin rate but already has one TJ surgery under his belt. CBS has the Brewers going with Beeter:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020-mlb-mock-draft-tigers-hold-steady-at-no-1-high-school-outfielder-jumps-into-top-five/

but since Jarvis is 22.5 years old he may be able to be signed for under slot, and with the Brewers giving up their comp balance pick they might be intrigued by a guy who will sign for below slot.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#51

Posted: June 02, 2020, 12:00 PM Post
Posts: 942
Agreed, I would love to see Crotchet fall to us.

We gotta go after college pitching.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#52

Posted: June 02, 2020, 12:33 PM Post
Posts: 123
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
The Brewers drafted Crochet out of high school too. He’s been the guy I’ve been locked in on for a while, feels like a good fit for what we should be looking for. Of course, he has to make it to our pick for any of that to matter.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#53

Posted: June 02, 2020, 1:27 PM Post
Posts: 942
Oh nice, I didnt know that!

Let's hope he falls then!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#54

Posted: June 02, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
Posts: 5230
I read either a Fangraphs article or a Baseball america story that this draft will be about College Pitching arms. Supposedly a belief that this college group is the best for a draft in a long time(or ever) Essentially it was something like the 8th or 9th best college arm is better than the college arm that was picked first last season, a season believed to be near the worst for college arms in draft.

Just about 1 week away. I don't see a way on thinking the Brewers can lose on this draft. The system is depth filled without any major stars currently. Any pick has to improve the system from any position. With the pitching strength of young controlled starters and the pitchers selected in Small and Kelley in 2019, one would think they might focus on a position player. The other way to look at it, is a Tampa Rays fill the system with pitcher potentials as strong trade value when it works out at the ML level. Just think this next offseason, trading Hader and Kneble would bring in a haul, next up Rasmussen/Feyereisen for the roles.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#55

Posted: June 03, 2020, 8:37 AM Post
Posts: 942
brewcrewdue80 said:
I read either a Fangraphs article or a Baseball america story that this draft will be about College Pitching arms. Supposedly a belief that this college group is the best for a draft in a long time(or ever) Essentially it was something like the 8th or 9th best college arm is better than the college arm that was picked first last season, a season believed to be near the worst for college arms in draft.

Just about 1 week away. I don't see a way on thinking the Brewers can lose on this draft. The system is depth filled without any major stars currently. Any pick has to improve the system from any position. With the pitching strength of young controlled starters and the pitchers selected in Small and Kelley in 2019, one would think they might focus on a position player. The other way to look at it, is a Tampa Rays fill the system with pitcher potentials as strong trade value when it works out at the ML level. Just think this next offseason, trading Hader and Kneble would bring in a haul, next up Rasmussen/Feyereisen for the roles.


Why the hell are we trading Hader and Knebel in the offseason? We need to build our bullpen around those two horses.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#56

Posted: June 03, 2020, 11:49 AM Post
Posts: 942
I bet we see more of this before next week.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... -teel.html


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#57

Posted: June 03, 2020, 2:39 PM Post
Posts: 5230
BestInTheWorld said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
I read either a Fangraphs article or a Baseball america story that this draft will be about College Pitching arms. Supposedly a belief that this college group is the best for a draft in a long time(or ever) Essentially it was something like the 8th or 9th best college arm is better than the college arm that was picked first last season, a season believed to be near the worst for college arms in draft.

Just about 1 week away. I don't see a way on thinking the Brewers can lose on this draft. The system is depth filled without any major stars currently. Any pick has to improve the system from any position. With the pitching strength of young controlled starters and the pitchers selected in Small and Kelley in 2019, one would think they might focus on a position player. The other way to look at it, is a Tampa Rays fill the system with pitcher potentials as strong trade value when it works out at the ML level. Just think this next offseason, trading Hader and Kneble would bring in a haul, next up Rasmussen/Feyereisen for the roles.


Why the hell are we trading Hader and Knebel in the offseason? We need to build our bullpen around those two horses.


Kneble would become a FA after 2021 currently. Hader will be yr2 of Super two arb in 2021. The return value would be higher while saving likely over 10mil in payroll. It's the narrative on Tampa Bay & trades. Sell em high value and keep churning out talent from those returns. 7 of last 12 seasons 90wins or greater with only 2 below 80wins for Tampa.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#58

Posted: June 04, 2020, 11:37 AM Post
Posts: 942
The more I read, I dont think Crotchet will be available at 20.

I really want us to go college arm... I would be happy with one of Carmen Mlodzinski, Cole Wilcox, Cade Cavalli, Bryce Jarvis, Slade Cecconi.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#59

Posted: June 04, 2020, 7:31 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2314
BestInTheWorld said:
I bet we see more of this before next week.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... -teel.html

I wonder what the point of withdrawing is. If you get selected just dont sign. Or is it a courtesy to teams so they don't waste one of their 5 picks?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#60

Posted: June 05, 2020, 12:10 AM Post
Posts: 191
He's not getting a lot of 1st round helium but Casey Martin is someone that I think fits how we draft. While he most likely ends up in CF, he has a 45 hit tool and + grades in power and overall athleticism (75 FV grade on his speed), which is exactly the type of profile we're prone to taking. Some question the hit tool due to how high his K rate is in college but I think you can teach that out of him. I don't see it as a contact issue, I see it as an approach issue. The kid gets homer happy while facing the best competition in college baseball.

I want no part of Dillon Dingler, though, as he seems to be projected to us more and more. He gets Sean Murphy comparisons but I don't see it. You can't be Sean Murphy if you have durability questions about sticking behind the plate. His junior season was a small sample size that I put very limited stock in.

Martin's my guy. The raw tools are tremendous. I know we've had issues developing these types but I have my faith.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test