LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: June 05, 2020, 3:33 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Via ESPN Wisconsin's "Power Lunch" with Greg Matzek: Brewers Scouting Director Tod Johnson previews the upcoming MLB Draft as it will look vastly different than years past

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: June 05, 2020, 9:50 AM Post
I am hoping either Garrett Mitchell or Jordan Walker fall to the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2020, 12:26 PM Post
nate82 said:
I am hoping either Garrett Mitchell or Jordan Walker fall to the Brewers.

I bet Walker will be there, I don't see him going in the top 20.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2020, 3:36 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Young man went to my high school in Massachusetts and then on to Wake Forest, of course, I was class of '80, just a bit longer ago:

It’s been 25 years since a former New Bedford High baseball player was taken in the MLB Draft. Jared Shuster is about to change that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2020, 4:39 PM Post
Based on Brewer trends my thoughts:

I’m expecting a College Arm in First with the depth there. Brewers don’t seem to value young arms highly both in draft (1st round) or internationally (big bonus signings) so an arm like Kelley, Bitsko. Or Montgomery don’t seem likely even if on board. Crochet seems like one they’d be high on. Drafted by them once, big frame, throws mid to upper 90s, and has some of best spin rates in class. Wilcox & Jarvis seem likely. Jarvis would seem close to Small pick last year. Cavalli & Mlodzinski come with more question marks but higher ceilings.

College Catcher has been very high priority for Brewers recently, if Bailey drops, he could def be the guy. Dingler has the defense you are looking for but bat is going to be question. I don’t see him at #20.

High School bats. In first they like professional hitters. If Ed Howard is there at #20, I’d pounce on him. Hassell is one of the best pure hitters in draft. Hitting probably will not not be an issue for him has he progresses however other tools are average across board. Soderstorm is one of my favorites. He is great athlete for a catcher but his bat is most exciting. Even if he has to move off catcher to 3rd or OF. If his bat blossoms way it could, it’d be a good pick. Crow-Armstrong is great defender and athlete but not sure bat has enough polish to it to go at #20. Walker is a little risky. Like Gray Jr. has all the tools & ceiling to be a great prospect with big bat but contact issues & K’s could be a problem.

In the end I will say Bailey, Wilcox, or Soderstorm will be the pick

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 9:41 AM Post
1st Round Mock through Brewers at #20 plus predictions for all 5 Brewer selections.

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-gnxem-df1730

1st Round Pick Pick #20 overall C Dillon Dingler Ohio State

Others
LHP Garrett Crochet Tennessee
RHP Clayton Beeter Texas Tech
1B Aaron Sabato UNC
RHP Cole Wilcox Georgia
OF Isiah Greene HS- Cal
C Austin Wells Arizona

2nd Round Pick #56 1B Blaze Jordan HS- Mississippi

Others
3B Jordan Walker HS- Georgia
LHP Dax Fulton HS- Oklahoma
SS Freddy Zamora Miami
RHP Nick Frasso Loyola-Maramount

3rd round Pick #92 RHP Stevie Emmanuels Washington

Others
OF Parker Chavers Coastal Carolina
3B Tyler Keenan Mississippi
RHP Taylor Dollord Cal Poly
SS Nander De Sedas Florida State

4th Round Pick #120 RHP Jason Savacool HS- New York

Others
OF Steven Williams Auburn
3B Tanner Witt HS- Texas
RHP Carson Seymour Kansas State
RHP Trey Dillard Missouri

5th Round Pick #150 SS Adam Oviedo Oral Roberts

Others
SS Cade Horton HS- OK
SS Milan Tolentino HS- Cal
RHP Austin Love UNC
OF Mario Zabala HS- Puerto Rico

Last edited by A Swing and A Drive on June 08, 2020, 11:39 AM, edited 8 times in total.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
In the end I will say Bailey, Wilcox, or Soderstorm will be the pick

FanGraphs second mock is out today with us selecting Texas Tech RHP Clayton Beeter...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0-2/

Looks like Bailey would have to slip, though they have Wilcox & Soderstrom going in our range. The first FG mock mentioned Wilcox's "fastball traits are considered less desirable by analytically-inclined draft rooms", which makes me think he's probably out for us & with the high bust rate for HS catchers Soderstrom seems kind of iffy unless they really believe in the bat.

Peter Crow-Armstrong kind of sounds like an OF version of Turang in that he was considered one of the top HS kids in his class as a junior, then slipped some his senior year. Also sort of reminds me of a HS version of Ray being tooled up, but with questions about the hit tool.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 1:27 PM Post
I'm going out on a limb here, we find our 1B of the future in Aaron Sabato.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 3:49 PM Post
I will think 3/5 will be arms

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 5:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
The latest CBS mock has us going with RHP Tanner Burns from Auburn...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020 ... off-board/

Would love it if we could somehow come out of this with HS RHP Nick Bitsko, FG had him going 18 while CBS has him mocked at 23. Sounds like kind of an unknown with reclassifying & not pitching this spring, but I think the Brewers could be intrigued by him being one of the younger arms in the draft & the FB/CB combo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2020, 5:59 PM Post
I would be good with Burns, fast mover and RH.

Pair with Woodruff, Small and Ashby... Hell yes!

Then Sobato with 2nd rd pick but I don’t think he’ll be there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 6:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
A few pre-draft thoughts...

* Nick Gonzales looks like the most surefire future big league regular in this draft, IMO. His swing and ability to barrel the ball reminds me of Keston Hiura, and it’s hard to imagine the hit tool not carrying him through the minors quickly.

* The college pitching is so, so deep that the Brewers could certainly walk away from this draft with a couple of future big league arms if they go that route with some of their picks.

* I would probably take Ed Howard over Pete Crow-Armstrong (apparently known as PCA among to the cool kids), but either would be a nice addition to the Brewers farm system.

* If I had to pick one player likely to be taken outside the top 50 selections that could develop into a future superstar it would be Yohandy Morales, a high school SS/3B from Miami. There is a lot to dream on with his profile. The Manny Machado comps might are a bit lofty, but you don’t have to squint too hard to see how a 6’-4” kid with a lanky, athletic frame that is already displaying raw power could skyrocket as he develops in a professional organization.

* Two years ago the Cardinals picked 19th overall (took Nolan Gorman) and the Brewers 21st (Brice Turang). This year the Brewers are right ahead of the Cardinals (20th overall versus 21st). I will always associate these picks with one another since they’re made in such close proximity.

* I am really looking forward to this draft, with the recent exodus of minor league players from the organization via cuts it will be nice to see some talent infused back into the system.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 11:13 AM Post
I hope the Brewers go pitching and hopefully it be guys for the rotation and not the Bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
agreed, if its such a strong college arm draft, lets try to get one that can help us in the near future. would be ok if they took their normal "up the middle" player that they are known for.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 2:26 PM Post
Best player available please. If that's a college pitcher great, if it's a normally top-10 position player that dropped while all the other teams were busy grabbing arms, that'd be great too!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 4:12 PM Post
My night before prediction - the Brewers will revisit the 2017 draft in both of the first two rounds going Crochet and Workman back-to-back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 5:43 PM Post
I’d be happy with that. I heard the tigers were looking at him
For their 2nd pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2020, 10:59 PM Post
Hoping for Wilcox, Crochet, or Bitsko

Which means that they won’t pick any of them because they rarely ever draft someone I hope for [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2020, 5:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
It sounds like Ed Howard is likely to get pushed down the board to a team with a larger bonus pool.

Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs said he still expects many senior signs that would typically be picked in rounds 7-10 to go in rounds 4-5 in order to help teams offset bonus pool spending overages in the early rounds. The draft is already incredibly short, so if that is the case there are going to be a lot of very talented players that are going to go undrafted over the next two days.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2020, 7:15 AM Post
Maybe, I'm off base. I understand why the bonus pools were put into place, to prevent the Yankees from drafting every tough sign and throwing money at them. It does put every team on equal footing based on their draft positions.

However, now with the shortened draft, it does seem a lot of players are going to go undrafted, with the "senior signs" that normally get drafted towards the back of the first 10 rounds, now going 4 and 5. Since, if undrafted, you can either sign or 20k max or go back to school if you can, it does seem the owners have gained more power in this draft.

I don't know how you fix it. I don't want to go back to the bad old days where the rich got richer. Maybe do something similar to the NFL?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test