LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Author Message
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#81

Posted: June 10, 2020, 7:21 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 393
Location: Neenah
Can you just get more guys through the undrafted free agent route?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#82

Posted: June 10, 2020, 7:25 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3331
Zad Fnark said:
Can you just get more guys through the undrafted free agent route?


Yes, but undrafted players can only sign for $20,000 this year so most HS players & college juniors who don't get picked will probably forego that in hope of a larger future payday.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#83

Posted: June 10, 2020, 7:36 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
As far as predictions, I think Dingler, Beeter, or Wilcox are the 3 most likely.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#84

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:21 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13372
I haven't been this excited since the NFL draft in April.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#85

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:26 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Posts: 604
BestInTheWorld said:
I'm going out on a limb here, we find our 1B of the future in Aaron Sabato.


Domo Arigato Mr. Sabato

Can't wait.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#86

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:55 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 393
Location: Neenah
sveumrules said:
Yes, but undrafted players can only sign for $20,000 this year so most HS players & college juniors who don't get picked will probably forego that in hope of a larger future payday.


Thanks. Wasn't sure how it worked.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#87

Posted: June 10, 2020, 9:31 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 918
patrickgpe said:
Maybe, I'm off base. I understand why the bonus pools were put into place, to prevent the Yankees from drafting every tough sign and throwing money at them. It does put every team on equal footing based on their draft positions.

However, now with the shortened draft, it does seem a lot of players are going to go undrafted, with the "senior signs" that normally get drafted towards the back of the first 10 rounds, now going 4 and 5. Since, if undrafted, you can either sign or 20k max or go back to school if you can, it does seem the owners have gained more power in this draft.

I don't know how you fix it. I don't want to go back to the bad old days where the rich got richer. Maybe do something similar to the NFL?


One way you fix it is to have hard slot values. It eliminates the gamesmanship of underslot deals to try to boost value later with a tougher sign because that later pick has a slot the player will get. In theory this should also put the top "talent" to the teams that need it based on draft slots. You will also see less senior signs because if you take that senior in round 5 you pay the slot bonus regardless.

The owners absolutely have increased power this year due to the shortened draft and take it or leave it undrafted pool. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams not use their full bonus pool and go 3 rounds of normal value and senior sign below slot for 4 and 5. And that only benefits the richer clubs that can afford to spend everything in their bonus pool including overages to get even more talent. I also read reports of some teams may punt on their first round pick until next year. Draft someone, offer the minimum lowball slot value and take another 1st rounder next year as compensation. Now that would be terrible for those players good enough to be a 1st rounder and then shuffled back into a bad situation next year potentially as a senior player. Unsigned draft pick compensation goes through first 3 rounds I believe, so that is something to watch.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#88

Posted: June 10, 2020, 9:38 AM Post
Posts: 942
JackNicholson1974 said:
BestInTheWorld said:
I'm going out on a limb here, we find our 1B of the future in Aaron Sabato.


Domo Arigato Mr. Sabato

Can't wait.


Haha that's awesome!

If we want him, we'll need to take him at 20... No way he lasts until 53.

I'm torn tho, I really want a college arm.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#89

Posted: June 10, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
madbad2000 said:

One way you fix it is to have hard slot values. It eliminates the gamesmanship of underslot deals to try to boost value later with a tougher sign because that later pick has a slot the player will get. In theory this should also put the top "talent" to the teams that need it based on draft slots. You will also see less senior signs because if you take that senior in round 5 you pay the slot bonus regardless.

The owners absolutely have increased power this year due to the shortened draft and take it or leave it undrafted pool. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams not use their full bonus pool and go 3 rounds of normal value and senior sign below slot for 4 and 5. And that only benefits the richer clubs that can afford to spend everything in their bonus pool including overages to get even more talent. I also read reports of some teams may punt on their first round pick until next year. Draft someone, offer the minimum lowball slot value and take another 1st rounder next year as compensation. Now that would be terrible for those players good enough to be a 1st rounder and then shuffled back into a bad situation next year potentially as a senior player. Unsigned draft pick compensation goes through first 3 rounds I believe, so that is something to watch.


I was thinking the same thing. the NFL does this pretty well. To play all of these games the teams do. Draft 1st round below slot. draft 2nd and maybe 3rd well above and then draft easy signings through the 5th is pretty crazy.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#90

Posted: June 10, 2020, 12:50 PM Post
Posts: 5230
BA just made a rumor post a team will not sign their 1st rd pick and take the extra pick next season. By rules they have to offer up an amount of the slot value in order to get that comp. I think 40% but maybe its 60%? Also noted many offers will be below slot value is the gist they're hearing. Maybe this will work in the Brewers favor seeing number of BPA fall in to their draft slot who they offer full slot to.
Id think a team like the Royals or Pirates drafting early with that high slot bonus would be the type to BA's rumor on not signing or well below slot. Marlins, Tigers. Probably a whole lot of the top 14 picks, slot values over 4mil. Consider that is more than the ML avg salary in previous years but be well over avg in 2020.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#91

Posted: June 10, 2020, 1:06 PM Post
Posts: 5230
patrickgpe said:
madbad2000 said:

One way you fix it is to have hard slot values. It eliminates the gamesmanship of underslot deals to try to boost value later with a tougher sign because that later pick has a slot the player will get. In theory this should also put the top "talent" to the teams that need it based on draft slots. You will also see less senior signs because if you take that senior in round 5 you pay the slot bonus regardless.

The owners absolutely have increased power this year due to the shortened draft and take it or leave it undrafted pool. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams not use their full bonus pool and go 3 rounds of normal value and senior sign below slot for 4 and 5. And that only benefits the richer clubs that can afford to spend everything in their bonus pool including overages to get even more talent. I also read reports of some teams may punt on their first round pick until next year. Draft someone, offer the minimum lowball slot value and take another 1st rounder next year as compensation. Now that would be terrible for those players good enough to be a 1st rounder and then shuffled back into a bad situation next year potentially as a senior player. Unsigned draft pick compensation goes through first 3 rounds I believe, so that is something to watch.


I was thinking the same thing. the NFL does this pretty well. To play all of these games the teams do. Draft 1st round below slot. draft 2nd and maybe 3rd well above and then draft easy signings through the 5th is pretty crazy.


They are technically in the infancy stage with this current style. The attempt was there to level the playing field and giving direct value of the pick. The games played how teams manipulated this structure may not have been all that well predicted when creating this draft structure. I mean, you cant trade standard picks. Imo at a 6÷-8mil draft pick value of top 5 picks and considering the hit/miss rate of even a top 10 selection, why not draft 2 players who fit a 9-25 BPA on your draft board with the value of your 1st pick? Now youre likely to have one of two make you ML team in the future and increased rate theyll be better than just a 1WAR kind of player.
So that said and taking the hard slot value, trading picks during a draft could be the solution. They just havent evolved to this yet.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#92

Posted: June 10, 2020, 3:27 PM Post
Posts: 1114
I’m interested in Soderstrom but it looks like a lot of teams between 10-20 like him. So that’s probably a pipe dream. I don’t know if any of the high end high school athletes get to us when you look at guys like Hassel or Hendrick. Maybe Crow-Armstrong, although I wonder about the bat. But how these guys come off the board is anyone’s guess.

Another guy who intrigues me is JT Ginn. He’s talented but hurt. He could be a top ten level talent. The Dodgers went that route with Buehler and it worked out.

The UNC first baseman, Sabato, is really interesting. I know we love up the middle athletes but we only have stopgaps at corner infield. You hope he’s not just another AJ Reed because the profile isn’t that far off. Stearns would probably say he’s going after up the middle talent and as those guys bulk up, some can move to corner infield and corner outfield from center for the OF types.

A dream scenario for me is if somebody like Soderstrom slides to us at 20 and then Sabato is sitting there in the second round. Gage Workman from ASU might also be interesting in the second. I wonder about his hit tool though. But he’s a tremendous athlete who might develop. He’s got plus defender potential.

Overall, I personally don’t think our system will prove to be at the bottom. But we don’t have ranked players so we get dinged. However we have up to 10 guys who might have a chance to be ranked in the top 150 depending on development. That’s where we are lacking, players with visibility.

That highlights the point that we lack upside talent in the upper reaches of the system. If you wanted to address that, you’d get more and more collegiate talent. But in the baseball draft it’s dangerous to pre-determine a particular category.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#93

Posted: June 10, 2020, 4:59 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8689
Reminder we are going to move the discussion during the draft tonight and tomorrow to this thread (similar to an in-game thread).

Please continue our draft discussion at that thread link.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread
#94

Posted: June 11, 2020, 2:12 AM Post
Posts: 5230
[quote="Eye Black"]Now that we are a couple of months removed from this year’s MLB Draft I figured we could kickoff the 2020 MLB Draft discussion thread.

With now less than 50 games remaining in the Brewers season they sit at what would would be the #16 spot in MLB Draft if the season ended today.

Below are some links and lists of the top draft prospects for 2020.

FanGraphs: THE BOARD for 2020 Draft

This Fangraphs list seems pretty legit. Dont know if they've just updated the rankings since this initial post, or just the views of the draft class stayed much the same after having a shorter season. Anyway, quoting the link. Useful for BPA I suppose for rounds 2-4.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test