LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 July 2 Signing Rumors

Offline  Re: 2020 July 2 Signing Rumors

Posted: June 20, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
I wonder how many MLB pitchers (compared to position players) actually come from that pool also? Maybe we are just playing the odds. Being a data-driven organization, that might drive the approach.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2020, 12:04 PM Post
Small sample size alert but from an SI article:

From 2011-14 major league teams took 47 high school pitchers in the first round of the draft. Here are the ugly numbers with how those picks have turned out:

• 51% never reached the big leagues (24).

• 40% had elbow or shoulder surgery (19).

• 17% are pitching in the majors with their original team (8).

• 13% are no longer pitching in affiliated baseball (6).

The 2012 high school class is particularly horrific. Of the 15 high school pitchers taken in the first round six years ago, only one is on the active roster of the team that drafted him (Jose Berrios of the Twins). Seven of them underwent Tommy John or labrum surgery (not including Lance McCullers of Houston, who has been shut down with a forearm strain) and five of them are out of baseball—before age 25.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/19/mlb-d ... ry-problem

It is about 2-years old now from this article but his main point was the uptick in velocity but I think there is a correlation that the teams would look at and see that it is also a risk to draft and sign younger players. I believe if you look at the international signing of players you would see the same.

You can see there is a change in how the teams are drafting pitchers. The number of high school pitchers have been going down each year that are drafted in the 1st round. If there is an obvious selection I believe those players will still be picked but I believe there is a shift towards more college pitchers and a shift away from international and high school pitchers. Unfortunately for the international players they don't have much of a choice but sign or continue playing in their home countries while US and Canadian players are able to choose the college route.

What maybe interesting to see is if the Japanese and Korean leagues jump on these international players. I think the money is still too good for these players to pass up playing in the US than playing in Japan or South Korea right now and at least in the Japanese league they have restrictions in doing this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2020, 3:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
I wonder how many MLB pitchers (compared to position players) actually come from that pool also? Maybe we are just playing the odds. Being a data-driven organization, that might drive the approach.

Of the top 30 starting pitchers by fWAR in 2019 only two were international signees, Luis Castillo (23rd, 4.1 fWAR) & Eduardo Rodriguez (27th, 3.7 fWAR).

If you zoom out to the last five years there are still only two international signees among the top 30 starting pitchers by fWAR, Carlos Carrasco (11th, 18.8 fWAR) & Jose Quintana (12th, 18.4 fWAR).

It does look like international signees are a little more prevalent on the reliever leaderboards though, with around 10 guys in the top 30 by fWAR both last year & over the last five seasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 7:30 AM Post
Does anyone know when and how the international signing period is working? We didn’t sign Jackson Chourio and company yet did we?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 10:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
The deadline was extended this year:

https://www.mlb.com/news/july-2-interna ... january-15

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2020, 7:54 AM Post
Baseball America released their Top 50 for the 2020-21 class today and 4 future Brewers made the list.
14. Jackson Brayan Chourio (SS/CF)
46. Gregory Barrios (SS)
47. Daniel Guilarte (SS)
50. Hendry Mendez (Corner OF)
On Page 1 of this thread there are some scouting reports for each of these players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 17, 2020, 1:21 PM Post
Seven of the Brewers top 30 current prospects are international signings. Hopefully in the next few years, Groopman's efforts will start making an influence on the major league level, including these upcoming signings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 27, 2020, 1:44 PM Post
With January 15th right around the corner is there any new information on the Brewers intentions?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2020, 3:52 PM Post
Adding four more top 50s continues the Brewers consistent additions on the international market. Adding up to a handful of top 50s compared to one big prize (G. Lara) seems to be working better in recent years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 30, 2020, 12:58 PM Post
Baseball America updated the Brewers article today. Only new information I could see was, “Dominican shortstop Jonathan Guzman and Venezuelan catcher Felipe Valderrama are also expected to join the Brewers’ signing class”. They had a little video of Guzman as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 01, 2021, 10:48 AM Post
Eye Black said:
YoungGeezy1 said:
It’s not discussed much but it amazes me their approach to international signings. Spend big up the middle as we have come to expect but in Stearns era they have yet to give big bonuses to pitchers. They kind of spend very conservatively on them. Hope that these cheaper arms grow, fill out, and blossom. With risk involved with young pitchers, I definitely get it but still surprises me

Big bonus International pitchers are a rarity in general. Last year the top 15 International prospects were all position players. The year before there were two pitchers among the top ten International prospects, one of which was from Cuba. Among the top 60 International prospects over the past two years (2018 & 2019), only 11 were pitchers. Not saying they aren’t also avoiding them, but when there is so little supply of highly paid International arms it’s tough to make any definitive conclusions.

This is a good point. It seems like the Brewers are trying to align risk and reward. They are also focusing on opportunity as they heavily invest in Venezuela where they see the opportunity instead of the intensely competitive market in the DR. In the international market, I’m sure we would sign a top pitcher if we had our hooks into one. But, the opportunity is much smaller as you mentioned so our focus is up the middle position players or OF. Then in the draft, we seem to focus much more on college pitchers for the most part (Woodruff, Burnes, Small, Ashby, or even Kelly from juco) or position players that could be either from the high school ranks (Turang, Lutz) or college (Mitchell, Hiura, Zamora). We aren’t drafting high school pitchers so much really high. I’m sure we would in the right circumstance but we can see a larger strategy where we are trying to avoid squandering a large resource for nil production. If you go through our history of drafting high school pitchers high, it’s been pretty much a disaster.

Personally, I am really happy with our drafting and international player signings now. We have a coherent strategy that marries reward with risk. We had a period from like the late aughts until the mid teens where we were a barren wasteland of failed acquisitions that harkened back to the 90s when we signed a lot of high upside guys that bombed out. That was a very annoying period where you could just see them making mistakes in real time. That’s all corrected now IMO.

For as much criticism as our system has gotten recently, one more good draft (and we have high picks coming), finally signing Chourios and company, and perhaps a trade that nets us a good prospect, and suddenly our system will be rated nicely IMO. The media guys tend to be a tick behind.

Last edited by Austin Tatious on January 01, 2021, 10:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 01, 2021, 10:50 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
Adding four more top 50s continues the Brewers consistent additions on the international market. Adding up to a handful of top 50s compared to one big prize (G. Lara) seems to be working better in recent years.

I agree. Spread the odds around. A lot of the highly rated international prospects weren’t the biggest bonus babies. Lara was quite a bad experience for Mark A I’m sure.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 9:49 AM Post
One week away from the start of the International signing period. I'm looking forward to reading about our new prospects. While I tend to agree that quantity over quality seems to be working for the Brewers I wish we were a bit higher up the "board" with our signees. But just need to trust the process and the next Acuna/Albies can reside in Milwaukee. We need a couple of lower dollar signees to turn out like those two. Maybe we can look back and say this happened with Hedbert.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2021, 8:00 PM Post
When will we start hearing about the players that have been signed by the Brewers?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 8:02 AM Post
According to Baseball America the Brewers have signed...
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... s-tracker/

Milwaukee Brewers | (Signing preview, reports & video)
Jackson Brayan Chourio, ss/of, Venezuela (scouting report)
Gregory Barrios, ss, Venezuela (scouting report)
Daniel Guilarte, ss, Venezuela (scouting report)
Hendry Mendez, of, Dominican Republic
Manuel Vargas, of, Dominican Republic
Jonathan Guzman, ss, Dominican Republic
Jadher Areinamo, ss, Venezuela
Dikember Sanchez, rhp, Venezuela

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 9:02 AM Post
TheJumpAround said:
According to Baseball America the Brewers have signed...
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... s-tracker/

Milwaukee Brewers | (Signing preview, reports & video)
Jackson Brayan Chourio, ss/of, Venezuela (scouting report)
Gregory Barrios, ss, Venezuela (scouting report)
Daniel Guilarte, ss, Venezuela (scouting report)
Hendry Mendez, of, Dominican Republic
Manuel Vargas, of, Dominican Republic
Jonathan Guzman, ss, Dominican Republic
Jadher Areinamo, ss, Venezuela
Dikember Sanchez, rhp, Venezuela

I enjoy that the moved signing date gives these kids the ability to start playing games right away in this season in DSL over them signing then having to wait rest of summer. Excited to see which of these guys names start to pop from both scouts and the Brewers themselves! Nothing better than signing a young kid like Perez and the team just gushing over him and challenging him!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2021, 8:25 PM Post
IS there a complete list of the Brewers signings along with their bonus $?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2021, 9:02 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Soupbone said:
IS there a complete list of the Brewers signings along with their bonus $?

Go to this post in our Minor League Forum, more bonus info will be posted there once known.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2021, 7:37 PM Post
Thanks Mass

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test