LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 12, 2020, 11:27 AM Post
patrickgpe said:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895061-ranking-all-30-mlb-farm-systems-after-2020-mlb-draft-results

first system re-ranking I have seen. As I suspected, Mitchell is our top prospect now and the brewers moved up a little bit rankings wise by drafting a bunch of college bats.

Hey, two spots! I'll take it... Man, I'm really high on our top 5 tho... Mitchell, Turang, Small, Feliciano and Lutz... Can't wait to watch these guys progress!

I honestly see Small as a poor man's Chris Sale and I really hope we lock up Woodruff long-term.

Woodruff
Burnes (He deserves another shot at starting)
Small
Peralta (Extension he signed belongs in the rotation)
Lauer

That really is a rotation to be excited about.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 3:19 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
SRB said:
Love every single one of these picks so far.

There's a strong case that we snagged two top-25 prospects in terms of overall talent, and the other three picks are all ambitious fliers on guys who are arguably being underrated and have huge upside.

I'm not sure why anyone is knocking college bats in the first few rounds. It's probably been the single most productive draft category for the Brewers over the last couple decades, with picks among the first few rounds like Keston Hiura, Mitch Haniger, Jonathan Lucroy, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Tony Gwynn Jr., and relatively few total misses.

To be fair, the track record after round 3 isn't quite the same. Over the last 20 years, outside of Khris Davis, you could make a case the college bat drafted after round 3 that provided the most value to the Brewers is Jason Rogers. They've gone that route a bit more heavily the last couple of years, so hopefully between Kahle, Dillard, Holt and Hamilton and now Wiemer and Cantrelle, along with a couple of other at least productive minor leaguers in the system like Hummel and Fry, that trend will be broken soon.

The track record for any player (hitter or pitcher, high school or college) is not going to be the same after round 3 though.

The only Brewers draft picks to accumulate >1.0 rWAR after round 3 since 2000 are Corey Hart, Craig Breslow, Tom Wilhelmsen, Lorenzo Cain, Michael Brantley, Khris Davis, Mike Fiers, Scooter Gennett, Caleb Thiebar, Brent Suter, Garrett Cooper, and Brandon Woodruff.

(Not counting players who didn't sign with us.)

If you set aside deep lottery tickets that panned out (Cain, Fiers, Gennett, Suter) and flukey guys who reinvented themselves as middle relievers long after getting released by the Brewers (Breslow, Wilehelmsen, Thiebar), one could argue that two out of five "expected" successes were college bats, i.e. Khris Davis and Garrett Cooper.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 5:20 PM Post
Okay, watching the videos from the signing thread. Zamora looks sound with the bat. I'm really surprised we got him, the ACL injury must be a serious concern.

Warren the Catcher, the video and swing doesn't impress me. He has the batter's eye approach, which can work at catcher.

Wiemer, whew boy, I see it. That is a huge boom or bust. His arms start high and then he sets himself at a great level and swing speed is woosh. That hitch move, I think if he can find a way to shorten the timing on it, he could take off. Get his lower body a little more underneath him, reduce the leg kick. He just has too many moving parts and a simpler motion with his bat speed could lead to huge success.

Cantrelle's highlights look like a hitter. A gamer. I dunno what his deal was this season that he played, but I find him already looking better than Scooter Gennett. Spraying the ball to all fields. Scott Kingery comes to mind on the gamer look and highlights. He's my pick at 3rd most likely ML and I wouldn't think it crazy to actually put him 2nd if Zamora's ACL affects his skills. What a great pick, seriously.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 7:24 PM Post
SRB said:
The track record for any player (hitter or pitcher, high school or college) is not going to be the same after round 3 though.

The only Brewers draft picks to accumulate >1.0 rWAR after round 3 since 2000 are Corey Hart, Craig Breslow, Tom Wilhelmsen, Lorenzo Cain, Michael Brantley, Khris Davis, Mike Fiers, Scooter Gennett, Caleb Thiebar, Brent Suter, Garrett Cooper, and Brandon Woodruff.

(Not counting players who didn't sign with us.)

If you set aside deep lottery tickets that panned out (Cain, Fiers, Gennett, Suter) and flukey guys who reinvented themselves as middle relievers long after getting released by the Brewers (Breslow, Wilehelmsen, Thiebar), one could argue that two out of five "expected" successes were college bats, i.e. Khris Davis and Garrett Cooper.

It just seems as if viable upside disappears more quickly with college bats than it does with any of the other three quadrants. Heck between the 2016 and 2017 drafts the college bats after round three are basically Hummel and Wilson while there are a lot more still viable pitching prospects. And if you're discounting the relievers the Brewers gave up on, the return for Cooper wasn't exactly earth-shattering.

That being said, I don't mind what they did this year, or even last year that much. Based on that list the one place they've had some success is low defensive value power bats (Dillard), and they've also gone high ceiling, low floor guys (Wiemer, Nnebe later on last year) or guys who there is good reason to think might be undervalued (Hamilton's injury, Cantrelle's bad couple weeks). Even Fry could fit on this list with the position change changing how much he has to hit to be viable. It just seems as if the college pitchers with lower ceiling scouting reports surprise more often than college hitters with lower ceiling scouting reports, so if pressed I generally prefer the former.

Last edited by CheeseheadInQC on June 12, 2020, 9:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 9:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
I just realized Garrett Mitchell played with Brice Turang when both were members of the Brewers Area Code Games team back in 2016 (Brewers prospect Je’Von Ward was a member of that team as well). A couple of related links, team montage video and team roster. Their is at least one other prominent member of the organization that once played for their Area Code Games team (Christian Yelich from years earlier).

Will Sammon had an outstanding article for The Athletic which made me even more excited about Mitchell’s selection. Here is a small sample:

It sounded like the Brewers would know. Mitchell, who is represented by Scott Boras, said he and his advisers fielded many inquiries from teams regarding him playing with type 1 diabetes. Some considered him a draft risk because of it. The Brewers didn’t have to be one of them. They had long been informed about Mitchell with scouts Corey Rodriguez, Josh Belovsky and Wynn Pelzer watching him and learning about him since his high school days at Orange Lutheran in California. Mitchell played on the Brewers’ Area Code and Fall League teams. They knew him. They knew what they were getting.

“I can tell you wholeheartedly,” Mitchell said, “that I couldn’t be more excited to be with such a great organization, being around people that I have known since I was in high school, and feel so loved and welcomed and accepted with everything that comes with me — diabetes and all of that involved.”

“It’s not that he can’t or he’s not good at what he does,” Mitchell said he heard. “But it’s going to come down to diabetes.”

The questions were aired and speculated on, “Which teams want to deal with it? Who is comfortable with it?”

Said Mitchell, “And I’m telling you, I couldn’t be more thankful that it’s the Brewers because, one, they know me and two, I’m going to work my butt off every single day.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 9:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
From Jim Bowden (The Athletic) regarding Garrett Mitchell:

The Milwaukee Brewers then drafted outfielder Garrett Mitchell out of UCLA at No. 20. Mitchell has the best overall tools of all the outfielders. He’s an off-the-charts runner and has been compared to Starling Marté of the Arizona Diamondbacks. There were some health questions surrounding him, as he has Type 1 diabetes. There is also a question of how much he’ll hit and what the game power will look like. However, the raw power is there and I think he’ll hit enough to make all the tools reach his maximum potential.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 12:09 PM Post
Another viewpoint on the draft results of each team ....

https://prospects365.com/2020/06/13/ran ... t-classes/

Enjoy. Brewers ranked as 3rd best draft class..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 12:39 PM Post
Can’t complain about the draft. Interesting strategy to go with all hitters. Something to consider with how the Brewers conducted their draft is that being a pitcher and not facing live action/game action for an extended period of time could have long term effects of a pitcher possibly losing feel of a pitch, reduced velocity, or shaky control. Hitters have timing to work on to get back in gear, but being a pitcher and not facing competition for 18+ months with no minor league season could be detrimental to not only their development, but also their careers.

Hitters are a much safer bet in not having long term fall out from an extended lay off of baseball activities.

Of course this is all in my opinion. It’s just a very real thing to consider when deciding on who to draft.

Love the Garrett Mitchell pick and was surprised we could bring in a top 10 talent that far down in the first round. He seems to manage his diabetes quite well and appears to be a non-issue at this point. He will fly through the minors and could be an MLB contributor at some point in 2022. He has all the tools to be a star in the making.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 3:29 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Sorry for the direct Twitter links for now, just some goodies from today:

Zavier Warren

Joey Wiemer video interview

Fun stuff on Hayden Cantrelle:

Article

Video

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 5:06 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
Sorry for the direct Twitter links for now, just some goodies from today:

Zavier Warren

Joey Wiemer video interview

Fun stuff on Hayden Cantrelle:

Article

Video

Looks like Cantrelle himself said that he will be signing with Milwaukee and that it was an overslot amount above the $353,700 attached to his draft position.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 13, 2020, 7:55 PM Post
Ok why weren’t you guys guessing Zamora?:
This from his agent
It's amazing the way things work out 3 years ago (2017) the only team that had interest in @freddyzamoraa was the Milwaukee Brewers. They invited him to a pre-draft workout in Milwaukee. I told Freddy go experience it... it is a great the opportunity, see what is feels to play in a big league stadium. Fast Foward the clock June 2020 that same team took him in pick #53. Destiny my friends. Big shout out to Brewers scouts Charlie Sullivan and Lazaro Llanes for seeing the player that freddy is.. like I always tell my boys. #BELIEVE #Lets Get It @brewers

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2020, 5:27 AM Post

Global Moderator
AUDIO via WSSP's "Big Show": Tod Johnson, Brewers Vice President of Domestic Scouting

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 4:58 AM Post

Global Moderator
Extended video interview with Hayden Cantrelle

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 8:03 AM Post
Recapping the Brewers 5 Draft Picks:
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/e/brew-crew-review-podcast-108-brewers-2020-mlb-draft-picks-could-we-have-baseball-in-just-a-few-weeks/

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 9:30 AM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:

Here's another Cantrelle audio interview released on Monday AM 6/15

Cantrelle's YouTube page (over 10.300 subscribers)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
Does anyone else get Loretta vibes from Warren and Hart vibes from Wiemer?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 1:21 PM Post
Manty Brewer Fan said:

When it comes to profile, Hart instantly jumped into my head. Size, power, arm, and speed fit great. Not sure what Hart’s scouting report was coming out of high school as 11th rounder but based on results, think Hart had less contact concerns. He pretty much hit right away. Dominated AA & think won MVP that year. So not sure if his bat had the hole Wiemer does but Hart potential is def there!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 15, 2020, 1:23 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Manty Brewer Fan said:

When it comes to profile, Hart instantly jumped into my head. Size, power, arm, and speed fit great. Not sure what Hart’s scouting report was coming out of high school as 11th rounder but based on results, think Hart had less contact concerns. He pretty much hit right away. Dominated AA & think won MVP that year. So not sure if his bat had the hole Wiemer does but Hart potential is def there!

I've seen a few Rob Deer comparisons for Wiemer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 4:06 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
YoungGeezy1 said:
Manty Brewer Fan said:

I've seen a few Rob Deer comparisons for Wiemer.

yep, seen that. So more Brandan Katin than Corey Hart? Still kind of shocked Katin never got a few at bats

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 5:22 PM Post
Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984
·
1h
#Brewers draft pick Zavier Warren (CMU, Southfield) has agreed to terms on his deal for slightly under the slot value ($638K) of his pick (third round, 92nd overall).

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test