LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 11, 2020, 9:48 PM Post
Wow, none of those picks were under slot. Almost the same profile as other picks. Bring on the pitchers tomorrow!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 11, 2020, 10:00 PM Post
I like the profiles on all these guys. It was pretty obvious that MLB teams would shy away from HS players after the first round, since the players have tremendous leverage and limited immediate financial gains.

I also like staying away from pitching here. We'll try to sign some, but lets remember that what built our 2008-2011 success was marquee hitters. We've also had about 6 or 7 consecutive pitcher heavy drafts in early rounds, with little offensive talent in the minors to show. We've got a lot of good arms down there that need chances in a rotation

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 11, 2020, 10:08 PM Post
It's interesting the Brewers have been very willing to take guys who either haven't caught much or haven't caught in a while. The Dillard experiment never really got off the ground, although who knows what they had planned this year, but Fry was still catching by year's end.

I'm generally lukewarm on taking college bats, especially non-catchers, in the early-middle portions of the draft (4-10, or rather 4-5 this year). That said, at least Wiemer kind of gives you something to dream on.

The losers from this draft have to be the college bats taken after Round 10 last year (Devanney, Wilson, McGee, Nnebe) who saw their path to a full-season roster spot next year get more complicated.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 11, 2020, 11:07 PM Post
Love every single one of these picks so far.

There's a strong case that we snagged two top-25 prospects in terms of overall talent, and the other three picks are all ambitious fliers on guys who are arguably being underrated and have huge upside.

I'm not sure why anyone is knocking college bats in the first few rounds. It's probably been the single most productive draft category for the Brewers over the last couple decades, with picks among the first few rounds like Keston Hiura, Mitch Haniger, Jonathan Lucroy, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Tony Gwynn Jr., and relatively few total misses.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 1:10 AM Post
SRB said:

There's a strong case that we snagged two top-25 prospects in terms of overall talent, and the other three picks are all ambitious fliers on guys who are arguably being underrated and have huge upside.

I'm not sure why anyone is knocking college bats in the first few rounds. It's probably been the single most productive draft category for the Brewers over the last couple decades, with picks among the first few rounds like Keston Hiura, Mitch Haniger, Jonathan Lucroy, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Tony Gwynn Jr., and relatively few total misses.

To be fair, the track record after round 3 isn't quite the same. Over the last 20 years, outside of Khris Davis, you could make a case the college bat drafted after round 3 that provided the most value to the Brewers is Jason Rogers. They've gone that route a bit more heavily the last couple of years, so hopefully between Kahle, Dillard, Holt and Hamilton and now Wiemer and Cantrelle, along with a couple of other at least productive minor leaguers in the system like Hummel and Fry, that trend will be broken soon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
I really hate that the draft is over now. Well done owners/Manfred, wouldn't want any more cheap talent in the pipeline to dream on [rolling eyes]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 8:16 AM Post
I think the draft and strategy was done extremely well. 1st 2 picks are just about given to reach and contribute at the ML. The next 3 are upside picks where talent is present, just the ability to harness is lacking. They covered CF, SS, C/3b, a corner OF, and 2b/SS. So basically if these guys take off in a 3-4year timeline, you could fit them on the team at the same time.

I also wonder on the college picks due to the minor league contractions forthcoming. I dunno where Milw stands on teams maybe to lose but you may not want a hefty number of Rookie level teenagers in your system right now and placing this group of draftees in A ball right away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 8:23 AM Post
Makes sense to load up on college bats in a year where you likely lose a year of development. This seems like a pretty good haul for a minor league system desperate for an influx of talent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 8:27 AM Post
I agree, while I didn't know anything about the 4 guys they took yesterday, after reading up on them, there are tons in potential in all of them. Yes I would have liked some pitching. yes there isn't much power in the guys that they took right now. This is what you do when you have the worst system in baseball and no ability to add via trading major league talent for prospects. These guys could advance quickly in the system and get you some good prospects in the upper levels of their system which is pretty devoid of that right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
I really like the Mitchell and Zamora picks... Replacement for Cain in a couple years and then Zamora stays at SS, moving Urias/Turang to 2B and Keston to 3B.

I would have really liked to draft college pitchers with the remaining picks.

But a potential team of:

C - Feliciano
2B - Urias or Turang
SS - Zamora
3B - Hiura
LF - Yelich
CF - Mitchell
RF - Lutz

Damn, that is beautiful to think about!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 8:59 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
I really like the Mitchell and Zamora picks... Replacement for Cain in a couple years and then Zamora stays at SS, moving Urias/Turang to 2B and Keston to 3B.

Keston has nowhere near the arm strength to play 3b. It's 2nd, 1st or DH for him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 9:11 AM Post
Will there be any leaks/leads regarding if a player is looking to sign for 20k before Sunday or is MLB putting a big watch down on the players and teams?

I doubt guys like Mace and Leftwich from Florida are signing but could the crew get some like Mason Erla from Michigan ST? or Bo Hofstra from Purdue?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 9:21 AM Post
Yount19 said:
Will there be any leaks/leads regarding if a player is looking to sign for 20k before Sunday or is MLB putting a big watch down on the players and teams?

I doubt guys like Mace and Leftwich from Florida are signing but could the crew get some like Mason Erla from Michigan ST? or Bo Hofstra from Purdue?

McDaniel said Mace is returning for his senior season.

Too bad, I really wanted to draft him... I wanted him or Criswell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 9:29 AM Post
Really really enjoyed this draft. Been a while since any of us got any taste of sports again. Actually since the NFL draft. I love that we went for upside for the most part considering the state of our farm system. I think my favorite pick was Zavier Warren in the third. A switch, plus hitting catcher with a good arm that’s already called games before? Giddy up. Also really liked dreaming on Mitchell’s tools. Overall the farm system has a long way to go still but hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 9:43 AM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
SRB said:

To be fair, the track record after round 3 isn't quite the same. Over the last 20 years, outside of Khris Davis, you could make a case the college bat drafted after round 3 that provided the most value to the Brewers is Jason Rogers. They've gone that route a bit more heavily the last couple of years, so hopefully between Kahle, Dillard, Holt and Hamilton and now Wiemer and Cantrelle, along with a couple of other at least productive minor leaguers in the system like Hummel and Fry, that trend will be broken soon.

Corey Hart, Scooter and Lorenzo Cain not bad. Gamel's career was derailed by injury.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
TigerUppercut said:
CheeseheadInQC said:

Corey Hart, Scooter and Lorenzo Cain not bad. Gamel's career was derailed by injury.

I was just talking college bats. I believe Hart, Scooter and Cain were all picked out of high school.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 10:18 AM Post
I'm not much of a fan of rounds 2-5. Three of the guys seem to have rather average offensive skills. Warren holds some intrigue but generally the "we'll make the guy a catcher" approach doesn't work, so I'm pretty skeptical about that. MLB Draft becomes such a crap-shoot after the first few picks that there is really no point in being too fired up or too disappointed about what happens past the first round, but I definitely would have been targeting guys with more offensive upside and would have liked to grab a couple pitchers in there. Time will tell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 10:19 AM Post
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895061-ranking-all-30-mlb-farm-systems-after-2020-mlb-draft-results

first system re-ranking I have seen. As I suspected, Mitchell is our top prospect now and the brewers moved up a little bit rankings wise by drafting a bunch of college bats.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 11:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
Warren holds some intrigue but generally the "we'll make the guy a catcher" approach doesn't work, so I'm pretty skeptical about that.

Based on things like the Narvaez signing and the plan to move Warren back to his high school position, I get the sense the Brewers place a very high value on offensive production at the catching position. While I agree that there are reasons to be skeptical, I think the organization could be banking on the eventual automated strike zone accelerating the developmental path necessary for the catchers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 12, 2020, 11:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs (Eric Longenhagen) draft recap for each team.

Draft Odds & Ends: Milwaukee didn’t try to get too cute, taking two toolsy college players who fell below where they belonged on talent for superficial reasons, then grabbing three interesting college projects in Zavier Warren (a switch-hitting infielder who they announced as a catcher), Joey Wiemer (huge frame and bat speed, swing is rough), and Hayden Cantrelle (a switch-hitter who sprays line to line).

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test