LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Offline  Re: 2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 18, 2020, 3:03 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
'Off the charts' hand-eye coordination leads CMU's Zavier Warren to Brewers
Tony Paul, The Detroit News

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 3:17 AM Post

Global Moderator
Via ESPN1420 in Louisiana: Cajuns SS Hayden Cantrelle was drafted 151st overall by the Milwaukee Brewers during the 2020 NFL Draft. On Monday, his father Kevin Cantrelle talked about the process of Hayden being drafted, how he's stayed in shape during corona, his YouTube channel, and much more.

Good listen, actually...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 4:12 AM Post

Global Moderator
AUDIO via the Bill Michaels Show: Jim Callis, Senior Writer for MLBPipeline.com

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5
Posted: June 18, 2020, 7:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
From FanGraphs, By the Numbers: Evaluating the 2020 Amateur Draft

Spoiler Alert: The Brewers ranked at the very top by a few different draft measures including “Value Added Versus Expected Pick” and “Draft Pick Value”.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 7:42 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
Via ESPN1420 in Louisiana: Cajuns SS Hayden Cantrelle was drafted 151st overall by the Milwaukee Brewers during the 2020 NFL Draft. On Monday, his father Kevin Cantrelle talked about the process of Hayden being drafted, how he's stayed in shape during corona, his YouTube channel, and much more.

Good listen, actually...

Neat the Brewers are in the NFL now! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 7:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well, they might have a better chance of playing in the NFL this year... [sad]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 7:43 AM Post
Eye Black said:
From FanGraphs, By the Numbers: Evaluating the 2020 Amateur Draft

Spoiler Alert: The Brewers ranked at the very top by a few different draft measures including “Value Added Versus Expected Pick” and “Draft Pick Value”.

thanks for sharing, very interesting read. the 2 categories the brewers lead the league in was scewed for teams later in the draft, but still they didn't pick last. Long term its going to be interesting to see if this strategy works. Team have forever tries to manipulate the draft pools, but taking underslot and then overslot guys, similar to what the Red Sox did. Brewers pretty much stayed at slot. Since this process is a crapshoot anyway, this seems like a solid strategy to me. time will tell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
Great to see! They seem much higher on Brewers than listening to Callis on Bill Michaels. He liked draft but like we have all said, each prospect they grabbed has at least one great tool if not multiple but each has some risk with another tool.

Warren kind of gives off a richer man’s Zelous Wheeler. Good hit tool & makes a lot of contact & real versatile but power hasn’t really shown much & Overall does everything good but nothing great. Gritty guy. I was real big fan of Wheeler & think Warren has higher ceiling for sure. Probably just me. I don’t see him staying at catcher. Hoping power comes enough for 3rd down road. Think 2nd or LF very well could become his home. Brewers have maybe more quality depth at Catcher in system than any team out there.

Cantrelle is sneaky great pick. His swagger & athleticism is through roof as well. Overall he could really pop up as a top prospect

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:51 PM Post

Global Moderator
Hayden Cantrelle:

In this video I take you guys behind the scenes of what draft day was like for me. It was the greatest day of my life and I was so happy to spend it with great friends and family.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 10:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
Great to see! They seem much higher on Brewers than listening to Callis on Bill Michaels. He liked draft but like we have all said, each prospect they grabbed has at least one great tool if not multiple but each has some risk with another tool.

Warren kind of gives off a richer man’s Zelous Wheeler. Good hit tool & makes a lot of contact & real versatile but power hasn’t really shown much & Overall does everything good but nothing great. Gritty guy. I was real big fan of Wheeler & think Warren has higher ceiling for sure. Probably just me. I don’t see him staying at catcher. Hoping power comes enough for 3rd down road. Think 2nd or LF very well could become his home. Brewers have maybe more quality depth at Catcher in system than any team out there.

Cantrelle is sneaky great pick. His swagger & athleticism is through roof as well. Overall he could really pop up as a top prospect

Understand that the article basically said we did well compared to one person's draft ranking, given where we drafted. It has nothing to do with the actual people we drafted and predicting their MLB success (which is the actual point of the draft). Without even looking, I'm sure I'd prefer to have the Tigers draft picks than ours given they were able to draft 20 picks earlier than we did and had a comp pick. So we can still have an "meh" draft, but do well for picking 20th.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 4:12 PM Post
As it stands, there will be likely 600 or so less baseball players signed this year including probably 75 or so players that could have been drafted in the top ten rounds heading back to college. It will be interesting to look back in 2030 or so and see what people are saying about the 2020, 2021, and 2023 drafts. Hopefully Brewer fans will be able to look back and say some of the six college bats (including Drew Smith) made an impact.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 6:55 PM Post

Global Moderator
AUDIO via "Turn A Pair" Podcast: "Joey Wiemer was the 4th pick of the Milwaukee Brewers at the historic 2020 MLB draft. The Temperance, MI native was a three sport star in High School. He had D1 football offers, but instead chose to follow his baseball passion at the University of Cincinnati. We talk about his journey, his incredible fashionable hair style while in college and much more."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:05 AM Post
Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy
2m
In addition to Zavier Warren last week (see @TonyPaul1984Tweet below), we could get news today about Brewers 4th round Draft pick Joey Wiemer and 5th rounder Hayden Cantrelle. Heard both are undergoing physicals.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 8:38 AM Post
Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy
56m
The Brewers have a couple of players in the latter category. 4th rounder Joey Wiemer and 5th rounder Hayden Cantrelle took physicals this week, and 3rd rounder Zavier Warren reportedly reached terms several weeks ago. All three slightly below slot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 9:22 AM Post
I'd image Zamora will also sign slightly underslot and then the brewers can determine how much they can give Mitchell to compensate him from falling a bit....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 3:59 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jimcallisMLB/status ... 48834?s=19

2nd-rder Freddy Zamora signs with @Brewers for $1.15 million (slot 53 value = $1,370,400). Miami SS, plus defender with strong arm, contact approach at plate. @MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2020, 5:00 AM Post

Global Moderator
Q&A:

Meet Joey Wiemer, 4th-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers
Getting to know the newest outfielder in the Brewers’ farm
By Brad Ford, BrewCrewBall.com

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2020, 11:29 AM Post
Jim Callis
@jimcallisMLB
19h
4th-rder Joey Wiemer signs with @Brewers for $150k (slot 121 = $473,700). Cincinnati OF, at least plus raw power, plus speed, arm delivers fastballs up to 98 mph on mound, needs to make more contact at the plate.
@MLBDraft

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 27, 2020, 4:32 PM Post
TheJumpAround said:
Jim Callis
@jimcallisMLB
19h
4th-rder Joey Wiemer signs with @Brewers for $150k (slot 121 = $473,700). Cincinnati OF, at least plus raw power, plus speed, arm delivers fastballs up to 98 mph on mound, needs to make more contact at the plate.
@MLBDraft

Wow. That's formerly 9th round value. Pick 280 last year. He was projected ranked much higher than 280. At 150 that was a signing bonus of 350k last year. Should have at least walked away with half slot value-237k. Sad for the kid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 6:17 PM Post
The Brewers have signed fifth-round pick Hayden Cantrelle, source said. The deal is for $300,000 per Robert Murray on Twitter

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 286 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test