LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: July 09, 2021, 12:30 PM Post
nate82 said:
brewers888 said:
With all that consensus on Wicks you really have to expect him to be the pick.

Again with this there is no consensus on Wicks being the Brewers pick. If you even read what the mock draft pickers are putting in their comments as to why they think the Brewers are taking Wicks you will see it is just a blind guess. They are only picking Wicks because he is similar to a player the Brewers have picked in the past. The only mock draft pick that has even mentioned a player connected to the Brewers was the Ford one.

How can you say there is no consensus on Wicks when pretty much every mock from multiple sources has him as the pick with Ford the only other player getting serious mention.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 12:32 PM Post
Maybe Wicks won't be the pick and personally I would go with more upside but nearly every outlet that mocks the draft has him as the pick and it would be foolish to outright dismiss it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 12:43 PM Post
Could they go with Hogulnd?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: July 09, 2021, 12:44 PM Post
brewers888 said:

How can you say there is no consensus on Wicks when pretty much every mock from multiple sources has him as the pick with Ford the only other player getting serious mention.

Because they are just guesses at this time. If you look at the ones that were correct in the past you will see that they talk about how the Brewers heavily scouted them and or brought them in for a workout. There is only one pick that has mentioned this and that is the Ford one.

All of the others are just picking Wicks because he is similar to Small. So basically just a guess on their part not really a consensus that is who the Brewers will pick at #15.

The mocks have not been right since the Brewers picked Ray. They didn't have Medeiros, Hiura, Mitchell or Small going to the Brewers at all they didn't even have Turang going to the Brewers. So again no consensus on who the Brewers are going to take.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 12:46 PM Post
nate82 said:
brewers888 said:

Because they are just guesses at this time. If you look at the ones that were correct in the past you will see that they talk about how the Brewers heavily scouted them and or brought them in for a workout. There is only one pick that has mentioned this and that is the Ford one.

All of the others are just picking Wicks because he is similar to Small. So basically just a guess on their part not really a consensus that is who the Brewers will pick at #15.

The mocks have not been right since the Brewers picked Ray. They didn't have Medeiros, Hiura, Mitchell or Small going to the Brewers at all they didn't even have Turang going to the Brewers. So again no consensus on who the Brewers are going to take.

It was widely known at least the day of the draft that Medeiros was likely to be the pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 1:28 PM Post
brewers888 said:
With all that consensus on Wicks you really have to expect him to be the pick.

The ESPN mock literally stated that the reason for mocking Wicks is because of his similarity to Small. There is no concrete connection to the Brewers otherwise.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 1:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
narwhalattack said:
Some new mocks today:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/ ... two-rounds

Jordan Wicks, LHP, Kansas State

Wicks has some similarities with Ethan Small, a recent Brewers first round pick. This is also a pretty open mix, with Hoglund, Will Bednar, Jay Allen, Madden, Harry Ford and Cowser all mentioned.

https://theathletic.com/2696906/2021/07 ... ws-latest/

15. Milwaukee Brewers: Harry Ford, C, North Cobb (GA) HS
This name has come up a few times with the Brewers already, as they’ve scouted him heavily and seem to buy into his bat, even with questions about his ultimate position.

Prospects Live Final 2021 MLB Mock Draft -- V 7.0

15. Milwaukee Brewers: Will Bednar, RHP, Mississippi State

The Brewers have been prolific at developing right-handed arms over the past few years, so the reluctancy to draft any of them really surprises us. There was a time where Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta were all deemed potential relievers. Those days are gone and all three are front-of-the-rotation talents. With such roaring success, Milwaukee should target pitchers with riding fastballs and a dynamic breaking ball. That’s Bednar to a T. A show-time performer, Bednar is a changeup away from being a dynamic rotation piece at the next level. Should Milwaukee land him at 15, there’s a pretty reasonable chance he’s pitching behind their three-headed monster as early as 2023.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 1:42 PM Post
I certainly wouldn’t mind Bednar. I think someone here also mentioned that his slider would make him a statcast darling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 1:50 PM Post
I hope half of their picks are big tall college arms from the SEC or similar conferences. They get to the big leagues quicker and if they fail as starters, they have all the qualities of being one inning sixth or seventh inning guys.

That being said, I have heard great things about Ford.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 1:56 PM Post
brewers888 said:
Maybe Wicks won't be the pick and personally I would go with more upside but nearly every outlet that mocks the draft has him as the pick and it would be foolish to outright dismiss it.

its just not true:

https://www.ballysports.com/wisconsin/n ... QXD0rKo440

He is mocked in (1/3) of them 5 for 15 in the current mocks that bally's describes, but that's not a consensus.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewers888 said:
It was widely known at least the day of the draft that Medeiros was likely to be the pick.

It’s a lot more nuanced than just pointing out a time or two where the mock drafts were correct. I think Kevin Goldstein summarized it best when he said focus more on the blurb written underneath than the actual player listed for a team in these mock drafts. In the case of Medieros there was leaked information that he’d had an impressive workout at Miller Park and people started to connect the dots. There hasn’t been that sort of knock-us-over-the-head obvious favorite this year.

FanGraphs most recent mock did have Wicks listed, but if you are taking advise from Goldstein himself (who said him and Longenhagen spent a lot of time on the phone with team contacts) then you should focus more on this paragraph they included in their mock draft…

Like San Francisco, Milwaukee is believed to be lining up the second tier of college arms. This could be the floor for Hoglund. If their board gets blown up by a run on college pitching, then they might cut a deep deal with a college bat like ECU’s Connor Norby or Trey Sweeney of Eastern Illinois. Sweeney’s name is getting peppered throughout the rest of the first round starting here.

Even with that being said as others have pointed out, Harry Ford has been mentioned as reportedly having had a strong following from the Brewers scouts and staff.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Final Mock Draft from Baseball America, MLB Mock Draft 6.0

15. Brewers: Matt McLain, UCLA, SS

Notes:
We’re in the range where the board should open up pretty quickly, and the Brewers have been consistently hard to pin down to a specific player. That’s partially due to the fact that most teams in this range are dealing with a very large group of players thanks to the uncertainty at the top of this year’s class.

If McLain falls to the Brewers I’ll be ecstatic. I’ve been holding out hope for that possibility all along.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:09 PM Post
I want one of Bednar, Hoglund or Ford.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
Perfect Game is doing a live video staff Mock Draft on their website and they have Harry Ford as the Brewers selection.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:33 PM Post
I can't remember who on this board works or has worked at perfect game but I think they hinted at Medeiros being a possibility. Majority of the mocks still had the Brewers taking someone else though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 2:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
I can't remember who on this board works or has worked at perfect game but I think they hinted at Medeiros being a possibility. Majority of the mocks still had the Brewers taking someone else though.

Patrick Ebert (colbyjack)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 3:00 PM Post
Eye Black said:
nate82 said:

Patrick Ebert (colbyjack)

Thanks old age is starting to catch up to me can't remember names all the time. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 3:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
PDCBalla said:
Anyone have any good mlb draft podcasts or brewers related draft podcasts?

The Keith Law Show - Talking Draft w/Jonathan Mayo

Baseball America Future Projection - Episode 14: A 2021 Draft Preview & Roundtable

FanGraphs Chin Music, Episode 21: Giant Pieces of Foam

All of those can also be found in the normal places podcasts are available.

For Brewers specific draft content check out the “Cold Brew Podcast”, they interviewed Joe Doyle from Prospects Live during the second half of the podcast they released today.

Also, if you search “Kiley McDaniel” in the Apple store he has appeared on a number of draft focused podcasts including one Red Sox centric podcast (SoxProspects.com) I occasionally listen to.

Prospect One Podcast - Episode 256: MLB Draft Weekend with Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 3:49 PM Post
Another guy I kinda like is Benny Montgomery since I'm a sucker for loud tools. However, his 45 hit tool that I see on most scouting reports gives me pause. IIRC there's been waaay too many guys who were phenomenal athletes who just couldn't hit enough to get anywhere.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2021, 7:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
narwhalattack said:
Another guy I kinda like is Benny Montgomery since I'm a sucker for loud tools. However, his 45 hit tool that I see on most scouting reports gives me pause. IIRC there's been waaay too many guys who were phenomenal athletes who just couldn't hit enough to get anywhere.

He’s an uber athlete, but the only questions seem to be on the hit tool (and a bit of a hitch to his swing). Seems to be a lot of late smoke that he could go in the top ten to a team like the Rockies. Also heard some speculation that Harry Ford might go sooner than is being projected currently (the thinking being teams are higher on him then they are currently letting on).

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test