LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: April 13, 2021, 4:00 PM Post
Just because I am a Ben Sheets homer, I'd like to note that his son Seaver Sheets, a High School SS and Auburn signee will be draft eligible this summer. Saw one site having him ranked in top 250 and 7th best player in Louisiana. Believe he is solid pitcher as well but will be probably be a middle IF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2021, 10:31 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
...and the fact they have not had success over the last handful of years taking third basemen towards the top of the draft (they have taken a half dozen or so). They may be betting on a shortstop outgrowing the middle infield and/or an outfielder getting moved to first. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Brewers target college pitching in the first couple of rounds this year. I could see a draft similar to their 2019 draft.

As I am desperate to find 3B options in the draft I came across Trey Sweeney out of Eastern Illinois. Plays shortstop for them but is 6'3". Obviously it is the Ohio Valley but he is showing good power and BB/K ratio and only has 3 errors at shortstop this season. He is probably going to have serious helium if he keeps it up, even though he plays in a small conference.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 15, 2021, 10:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
Just because I am a Ben Sheets homer, I'd like to note that his son Seaver Sheets, a High School SS and Auburn signee will be draft eligible this summer. Saw one site having him ranked in top 250 and 7th best player in Louisiana. Believe he is solid pitcher as well but will be probably be a middle IF.

Here's hoping his dad did NOT teach him to hit... or run. Hopefully, they just played catch. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 15, 2021, 9:25 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
YoungGeezy1 said:

Here's hoping his dad did NOT teach him to hit... or run. Hopefully, they just played catch. [laughing]

Now we need to draft and sign him so we can have the interviews where Ben claims to have taught him how to hit [laughing]

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2021, 6:16 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:

Hopefully, Sheets kept himself to throwing batting practice...

But it would be nice to see Seaver drafted by the Crew. Third round, maybe? Do they have a CB pick?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2021, 8:22 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
...and the fact they have not had success over the last handful of years taking third basemen towards the top of the draft (they have taken a half dozen or so). They may be betting on a shortstop outgrowing the middle infield and/or an outfielder getting moved to first. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Brewers target college pitching in the first couple of rounds this year. I could see a draft similar to their 2019 draft.

i went back 5 years in 2017 they drafted 3B Nick Egnatuk in the 5th and in 16 they drafted 3B Lucas Erceg, which was the one i thought would hit. nothing since.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2021, 6:00 PM Post
I was going a little deeper and a little farther back including DeMuth, Iskenderian, Carroll, and big money for McClanahan in the 11th round. More than a handful of years, though, as I was going back to probably 2014.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2021, 10:12 AM Post
I see that Mayo/Callis just released a new article today where they rotate picks for the first 20: https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-podca ... t-coverage.

Looks like they have us selecting C: del Castillo out of Miami. Would be back to back years taking a U of Miami kid in 1st round if this played out.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this kid? Also, I see that they have the WI kid Binelas (Louisville) dropping out of the Top 20 now. Anyone know why his stock has fallen so much this year? Just other guys moving up over him, or is he having a down year?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2021, 10:27 AM Post
madtownhawk said:
I see that Mayo/Callis just released a new article today where they rotate picks for the first 20: https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-podca ... t-coverage.

Looks like they have us selecting C: del Castillo out of Miami. Would be back to back years taking a U of Miami kid in 1st round if this played out.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this kid? Also, I see that they have the WI kid Binelas (Louisville) dropping out of the Top 20 now. Anyone know why his stock has fallen so much this year? Just other guys moving up over him, or is he having a down year?

Binelas was hyped early on, and now has his average up to .259 with 10 HRs after starting the season ice cold. I would hope he'd be a consideration for the Brewers if he's there at #15. He's a LHH power bat and slick-fielding 3B that should be able to make a quick ascent to the majors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2021, 10:37 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
madtownhawk said:

Binelas was hyped early on, and now has his average up to .259 with 10 HRs after starting the season ice cold. I would hope he'd be a consideration for the Brewers if he's there at #15. He's a LHH power bat and slick-fielding 3B that should be able to make a quick ascent to the majors.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Seems like he would be a perfect fit for the Brewers at 15 if he falls there. We all know how badly we need 3B in our system, and this was a guy who was considered a Top 10 type pick before the season started. Doesn't hurt that he's a WI kid to boot. Would love to see him fall to us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2021, 11:25 AM Post
Nevermind on Binelas. I just listened to the latest MLP Pipeline podcast where Callis and Mayo talk about their latest picks in the Top 20. They ended up talking about Bilelas at the very end of their discussion, and it sounds like he's moved from 3B to 1B now after really struggling at 3B. Sounds like he's not doing much better at 1B now either, so clearly not a good defensive player. He also got off to a really bad start this year, although the power has come back in recent weeks. They both seemed to think that he may have fallen all the way down to a 3rd round pick - 2nd round at best. So, maybe we'll get the opportunity to draft him with one of those picks if we do still like the bat?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: April 21, 2021, 11:58 AM Post
The Brewers really haven't been afraid of a players defense when drafting players. Hiura being the most recent example of this. If they like the player overall I don't think defense will be a factor on why they don't draft a player.

Defense can be taught though the Brewers haven't really excelled at doing it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2021, 12:04 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
Nevermind on Binelas. I just listened to the latest MLP Pipeline podcast where Callis and Mayo talk about their latest picks in the Top 20. They ended up talking about Bilelas at the very end of their discussion, and it sounds like he's moved from 3B to 1B now after really struggling at 3B. Sounds like he's not doing much better at 1B now either, so clearly not a good defensive player. He also got off to a really bad start this year, although the power has come back in recent weeks. They both seemed to think that he may have fallen all the way down to a 3rd round pick - 2nd round at best. So, maybe we'll get the opportunity to draft him with one of those picks if we do still like the bat?

Binelas was very good at 3B in 2019, when he first hit the prospect map. But Lucas Dunn has solidified himself as a top-flight defensive 3B after playing somewhat out of position in CF in the past due to Binelas's presence. It could very well be a case of playing Dunn at 3B and Binelas at 1B gives them the best defensive alignment, especially if 3B is Dunn's best defensive position

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2021, 8:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
Defense can be taught though the Brewers haven't really excelled at doing it.

There is a pretty big caveat to that... Defense can be improved, but a person's physical attributes are the main driver to what they can do defensively. Rarely will drafting a bad defensive player in HS/college produce a gold glove player in the MLB.

The Brewers draft bat-first (Braun, Weeks, Hiura) was never because they figured they could fix their defense, but because they knew they'd find a spot to play for someone who can hit.
Braun was tried at 3B and it didn't work. They moved him to LF and he had a very nice career there. Weeks was adequate at 2B (at least early) and his defense wasn't that big of a hinderance. Hiura was moved to 1B - now hopefully his bat wakes up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2021, 9:17 AM Post
I know this version of the Brewers scouting department has focused on college guys but a kid that peaks my interest and being a fit for the Brewers is Harry Ford. Versatility is always brought up in his scouting reports. If he can't stick behind the dish could probably play any position besides shortstop. That versatility along with a reported quick bat makes him really intriguing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2021, 9:24 AM Post
BallFour said:
I know this version of the Brewers scouting department has focused on college guys but a kid that peaks my interest and being a fit for the Brewers is Harry Ford. Versatility is always brought up in his scouting reports. If he can't stick behind the dish could probably play any position besides shortstop. That versatility along with a reported quick bat makes him really intriguing.

I agree with you. In listening to the MLB Pipeline podcast yesterday, he was actually a guy that really piqued my interest after hearing Callis/Mayo talk about him. Like you said - we've definitely gone more of the college route in recent years, but Ford would be a really intriguing pick at 15 given everything that you already pointed out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 23, 2021, 7:30 PM Post
Interesting BA Tweet today showing 45 current MLB players were taken in rounds that won't exist in the future. Chart also shows nearly one-third of current MLB players were taken in the top two rounds and about one-half in the top six rounds.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2021, 12:36 AM Post
madtownhawk said:

My Thoughts, are pretty known. No Catchers in the first 2 rounds of a draft. Their ceilings are extremely low, a good majority end up unable to stick at catcher, and you end up with a 700 OPS batter with the sludge athletic ability of a catcher trying to be fit at a position that bat won't play. High probability they are platoon bats. Listing successful catchers in last 10 drafts of 1st 2 rounds looks something like:
Brian McCann:76th overall 2011 2nd rd 7.3 WAR 693OPS
Kevin Plawecki: 35th overall 2012 1st rd 3.0WAR 653 OPS
Mike Zunino: 3rd overall 2012 1st rd 6.8WAR 665 OPS
Reese Mcguire: 14th overall 2013 1st rd .8WAR 725OPS 63games for a different team career
Victor Caratini: 65th overall 2013 2nd rd 1.3WAR 695OPS No games played for team that drafted him.
Andrew Knapp: 53rd overall 2013 2nd rd .8WAR 684OPS
Kyle Scwarber: 4th overall 2014 1st rd 26games in his career behind the plate.
Remember Max Pentecost? selected before Kodi Mediros at 11 that year. AA in 2018 highest reached
Tyler Stephenson: 11th overall 2015 1st rd. .5WAR 988OPS 48PA in 19games. Good start
Will Smith: 32nd overall 2016 1st rd 3.0WAR 921 OPS Best top 2 round pick for a C
Joey Bart: 2nd overall 2018 1st rd .4WAR 609 OPS

There are a lot of C drafted that have either never made it to MLB or have worse than 0WAR. The upside is so minimal as you can see. I just prefer hoping to find a ToR SP or a position player that has 10+WAR upside. Hated the Ray pick, Didn't like the Grisham pick Hiura was exciting for a bat pick. Turang had the upside. Lutz had the upside. Kelly and Small fit the ToR. Mitchell from Spring Training looks a guarantee to reach 10WAR.

Brewers have filled their minors with Catcher picks already that fit where I would take them
3rd 2020
4th and 5th 20199
3rd 2017
Feliciano was a 2nd rd in 2016 above my thoughts. 700 OPS type in the minors likely translate to so many of the above 650s at best in the Majors when the schedule gets longer for him.
Henry was 6th rd in 2016. 5 Catchers in last 5 drafts top 6 rounds taken.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2021, 4:59 PM Post
First mlb pipeline mock has binelas out of the first completely.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2021

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 1:23 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
First mlb pipeline mock has binelas out of the first completely.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2021

What does everyone think of the Khalil Watson prediction for the Crew in this Mock? Seems like a short and skinny SS prospect, and not sure if I really see him as being one that our FO would draft in the 1st round. I know we took Turang as a HS SS 2-3 years ago, but he was also a kid that dropped significantly in the 1st round, and was probably hard for us to pass up drafting in the late first round that year. Any time you can get a Top 10 value in the late 20's, I think you have to take a kid like that. Not sure if I see us doing the same here with Watson at 14?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test