LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: June 30, 2021, 8:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
StearnsFTW said:
Eye Black said:
The Prospects Live staff held a two round mock draft via YouTube in which the team’s selections were made by various individuals that follow the draft closely and have a public presence on Twitter.

Drafting for the Brewers was James Anderson.

For the Brewers, Anderson made the following selections.

15th overall pick: RHP Gavin Williams, East Carolina

33rd overall pick: SS Peyton Stovall, Haughton HS

51st overall pick: LHP Robert Gasser, Houston

Here is the full video of the Mock Draft as it progressed (includes lots of prospect videos along the way, but is over 4-hours)...

Those guys convinced me that that would be a pretty damn good draft.

I should’ve provided this the first time around, but those that want to watch the Brewers picks they are at the following timeframes in the video…

15th pick - 1:24:15
33rd pick - 2:38:30
51st pick - 3:44:05

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2021, 9:59 PM Post
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-mock-d ... ssion=true

In this mock, we draft Colton Cowser, with Jordan Wicks as a possibility.

Not sure why we’d be enamored with Wicks. He may have a nice changeup, but he didn’t exactly dominate the competition by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn’t mind Cowser, though I’d prefer Ford or Solometo

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: July 01, 2021, 8:53 AM Post
narwhalattack said:
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure why we’d be enamored with Wicks. He may have a nice changeup, but he didn’t exactly dominate the competition by any stretch of the imagination.

#1 nobody knows IF we are enamored with Wicks. These are just mock drafts with writers speculating based on what the are hearing, 90% of it is hot air.

I do like Ford and would be perfectly happy with that pick. Also OK with taking a risk on Hoglund. Still wouldn't be surprised if a guy falls like last year for whatever reason. You just need a 2-3 teams draft underslot, and it could happen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 11:02 AM Post
patrickgpe said:
narwhalattack said:
https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021.html?__twitter_impression=true

#1 nobody knows IF we are enamored with Wicks. These are just mock drafts with writers speculating based on what the are hearing, 90% of it is hot air.

I do like Ford and would be perfectly happy with that pick. Also OK with taking a risk on Hoglund. Still wouldn't be surprised if a guy falls like last year for whatever reason. You just need a 2-3 teams draft underslot, and it could happen.

I suppose what I meant was that in spite of all these mock drafts linking us to Wicks, I don’t really buy into the hype. In my personal opinion I don’t really see Wicks as the best option at 15 compared to some other guys that could be available at that spot.

I’m also not really sure what to think of Hoglund. I know a few people alluded to how well the Dodgers did with Buehler, but is Hoglund a comparable talent to Buehler?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 11:06 AM Post
I'm not sure, i just know he would be a top 10 pick if it wasn't for his injury. Maybe 15 is too high to take him. I do think for a team that relies so heavily on their farm system for players and to "go for it" trades, if you can get a guy on sale, i'm for it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 1:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
narwhalattack said:
I’m also not really sure what to think of Hoglund. I know a few people alluded to how well the Dodgers did with Buehler, but is Hoglund a comparable talent to Buehler?

Only time will tell if Hoglund is a comparable MLB talent to Buehler, but from a performance standpoint in college he more than held his own...

Buehler | 253 IP | 260 K (9.2 K9) | 86 BB (3.1 BB9) | 3.02 K/BB
Hoglund | 154 IP | 186 K (10.9 K9) | 35 BB (2.0 BB9) | 5.31 K/BB

If Gunnar is on the board & the Brewers think he is the best player available I've got no problem if he is the pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 1:24 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
narwhalattack said:

Mock drafts have been pretty accurate when it comes to the Brewers. The team often seems to pick players that they were rumored to be interested in. Wicks doesn't seem to be a pitcher I would want them to pick but with most pundits linking him to the team he is a pretty likely pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 1:25 PM Post
This front office leans heavily to college players so don't expect our first round pick to come from the high school ranks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 2:00 PM Post
The Prospects Live draft (IMO) would be solid. Realistically, you could probably save a little drafting Williams at #15 and you might have to use a little of that to sign Stovall at 33. Part of me feels like another UCLA player is going to fall to them in the first to join his former teammate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 3:37 PM Post
brewers888 said:
patrickgpe said:
narwhalattack said:

Mock drafts have been pretty accurate when it comes to the Brewers. The team often seems to pick players that they were rumored to be interested in. Wicks doesn't seem to be a pitcher I would want them to pick but with most pundits linking him to the team he is a pretty likely pick.

I don’t recall many mock drafts linking us to Hiura or Small. And no one expected Mitchell to fall as far as he did.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 4:36 PM Post
brewers888 said:
This front office leans heavily to college players so don't expect our first round pick to come from the high school ranks.

Is this true?

Mitchell, Small, Ray, Jungmann
Turang, Grisham, Medeiros, Covey

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 5:03 PM Post
brewers888 said:

I'd almost toss out last year as an anomaly in some regards (at least in the HS vs. College side of things) given that the team would have had much less of a track record to go by for prep players than normal. With the exception of the Small pick (and I'm guessing the similar profile might be sparking a lot of the Wicks predictions), the Brewers seem to be value chasers, especially among position players. Either the dropping guy (Mitchell, Turang), the guy who is going a lot lower than he would have a season ago (Turang, Gray, Cantrelle), the injured guy (Rasmussen, Hamilton, Zamora), the Can-he-play-catcher? guy (Warren, Dillard, Fry, Harrison).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 5:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
brewers888 said:

Is this true?

Mitchell, Small, Ray, Jungmann
Turang, Grisham, Medeiros, Covey

Jungmann, Grisham, Medeiros & Covey all pre-date the current front office.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2021, 8:30 PM Post
I take the flyer on Hogulnd

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2021, 8:06 AM Post
Minus that they went all college last season (in a weird 5 round draft) and took a college arm the year before, I don't see much correlation. Brewers, more than most teams, need to get the BPA and someone that will actually contribute in 4-6 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
2019 was pretty college heavy, with six of the first seven picks from four year schools & Kelly (from JC) in the 2nd round. First HS pick is Darrien Miller round nine, then six more college/JC before the 2nd HS kid (Kelvin Bender) in round seventeen.

2018 was pretty much the opposite. Four of the top five picks are HS with Ashby in the 4th from JC then Rasmussen/Fry from college in 6/7 with a pretty good mix after that.

2017 was a little more spread out with college, two HS, college, two HS through the first six picks then four college/JC guys to close out the top ten before a run of nine HS kids starting round eleven.

2016 tilted a little towards college with eleven of the top fifteen picks coming out of college/JC. HS picks were Feliciano (2nd), Henry (6th), Francisco Thomas (8th) & McLanahan (11th).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2021, 11:53 AM Post
Starting to see a couple of places the brewers being linked to Will Bednar. Really don't like late risers like him. Seems to never go well. Never saw him pitch but from what I read he does sound impressive. Does someone that follow this more closely than me have any opinions on him?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2021, 1:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
Another FanGraphs mock draft published today...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0-3/

15. Milwaukee Brewers
Pick: Jordan Wicks, LHP, Kansas State

Like San Francisco, Milwaukee is believed to be lining up the second tier of college arms. This could be the floor for Hoglund. If their board gets blown up by a run on college pitching, then they might cut a deep deal with a college bat like ECU’s Connor Norby or Trey Sweeney of Eastern Illinois. Sweeney’s name is getting peppered throughout the rest of the first round starting here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2021, 1:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
patrickgpe said:
Starting to see a couple of places the brewers being linked to Will Bednar. Really don't like late risers like him. Seems to never go well. Never saw him pitch but from what I read he does sound impressive. Does someone that follow this more closely than me have any opinions on him?

FanGraphs mock I linked above has Bednar going 20th to the Yankees, so probably not a huge reach at #15.

Mentions in his blurb that "while scouts see his slider as plus, the computerized pitch graders based on spin and shape like it even more than that" which sounds like the kind of thing the Brewers front office might be keen on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2021, 1:59 PM Post
sveumrules said:
patrickgpe said:

FanGraphs mock I linked above has Bednar going 20th to the Yankees, so probably not a huge reach at #15.

Mentions in his blurb that "while scouts see his slider as plus, the computerized pitch graders based on spin and shape like it even more than that" which sounds like the kind of thing the Brewers front office might be keen on.

If that's true, I can see Bednar being a better fit than Wicks. Maybe the FO really is enamored with Wicks, but I wonder how much of this connection to Wicks is because people think, "They drafted Small so here's another guy with a similar profile"

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test